Hello, new member, 2x new-to-me mark 8's

NowAndLater

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was searching for a mark 8 for about 6 months and stumbled on one for scrap (literally) price and figured I'd give it a go to fix it. PO said his son let it overheat but it doesn't show much evidence of that. Instead it shows, well, I'll let you see in the pics.
I think I'm going to pull the heads off and have them at least checked and cleaned along with the manifold (is this acid washed or ?). One of the reasons I came to the forum, other than to share pictures and stories of course :) , was to ask about pulling the heads. I see the timing cover (assuming chain also) has to come off. Is there anything I need to do to mark timing (did a few diesel injection pumps in the past)?

Anyway, that wasn't going to be the one I settled on. I eventually found a one owner (93yr old) dealer maintained for a steal (in the pics). I know how us forum community members thrive on pics so I made sure to include some! I'll post more tomorrow when I can get them. Hope you like.

I'm stoked about this 4v. Originally I was looking for one to pull the teksid out of and drop into a 25k mile towncar with Mach 1 heads, something I will eventually do. It's a true grandpa sleeper, just like I love them (had a completely stock-looking 400hp f350 diesel).

Anywho, just wanted to ask about the timing since I can't seem to match the search keywords. Thanks.

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

Welcome to the site
Looks damn nice for a "scrap" car.
I haven't done heads so I don't want to muddy the water with my little info.
Hopefully one of the members who has will chime in.

Yea, that's a SW "junker". The thing was on CL for 1.5 months for 300$. I felt I had to. It's actually a really nice car inside and out. Only one minor tear on the drivers seat. Airbags are gone (whomp whomp).

I'm a really big fan of Lincoln air ride for my back struggles. This coilover crap is for the birds. Not to mention a -45* bank when I turn the corner.

I had an idea last night to check YT on how to do it and found a very in depth video of pulling heads off a cobra and marking the timing. Doesn't look too complicated.

A lot of really nice mark 8's around here....

timing the engine "dot to dot" or "straight up" is fairly straightforward and not hard to accomplish.
degreeing is more complex but is not necessary on a simple rebuild.

Members online

No members online now.
Back