Hello from Canada, I'm new to Lincoln LS's, could use some help please

Ron Sircar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I am hoping some of you may be able to help me out. I am new to working on Lincoln LS's, I am a long time ford fan, and although I have owned Lincoln Mark VII and Mark VIII's I have never owned a Lincoln LS till recently.

Anyways, on to my problem, a bit of trial and error on my part, I bought a 2003 Lincoln LS V6 base model (no select shift on the console) from a fellow Ford employee (I work at Oakville Assembly). The original owner had the car for several years without issues until it inexplicably would not start for him anymore. He had someone look at the car and tell him a module (I have since learned is called the FEM) was the issue. This person replaced the FEM with one from a junkyard car, and of course this did not correct the issue. When I purchased it, I was told all it needed was the module (FEM) programmed. I sent the car to a local ford dealership asking them to reprogram the module and reset/reprogram PATS on the car. Long story short, they failed to figure out what was going on nor were they able to reprogram the PATS claiming they could not communicate with the guage cluster (prob the original reason for no start condition). This dealership seemed more instrested in running up the labour bill than correcting the issue so I took the car back ($1200 later :( )

Not being knowledgeable in the diffrences in different year LS's, I then purchased parts from a 2001 V6 LS after I confirmed the car started. I was unaware of the fact 01 doesn't have VVT or drive by wire and many other diffrences, after installation of the gage cluster, ECM, ignition switch and FEM and REM from the 2001, I had no PATS fault however the motor would not catch, I do not think the 01 ECM was turning on the fuel pumps as I had no fuel at the rail. (I was later advised of the wiring changes between first gen and second gen cars so I removed the first gen parts)

Unfortunately 2 gen LS parts seem hard to find, had been searching for weeks without luck, then I came across a 2004 Lincoln LS that was in a minor front end collision just brought into a wrecking yard. The car was a early model 2004 (built in 2003) and was still running. I removed the ECM, ignition (has 2 keys), FEM, REM and gage cluster, and installed them into my 2003.

Now I have no PATS issue (at least light on dash turns off so I am assuming PATS conditions are met) no faults listed on gage cluster, previously the parking brake was stuck on, but with the addition of these parts, the parking brake is now working, motor cranks over and catches but dies soon after (anywhere from 2-10 sec of running before engine dies). I do not have a OBD II reader so I am uncertain if any codes are being thrown. I will get one within a few days to see if that provides any info as to whats going on. I do know that I am getting fuel at the rail now (checked at Schrader valve at fuel rail)

Ive put a video clip on youtube, link is below, can anyone here please help me with diagnosis? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me

Oh I forgot to mention, the car does not seem to respond to my pushing the gas pedal when it catches and starts, not sure the drive by wire signals are getting to the throttle body, and the traction control button on the console is lit as being off and doesn't turn on when I push it

[video]https://youtu.be/sOF3I9D9oac[/video]

Members online

No members online now.
Back