Hello Everyone. Transmission Questions

Halverson

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently Inherited a 2000 LS V8 that needed a transmission. Money is tight so I took a chance on junk yard parts and I think I got lucky. Nice red fluid and only a bit of metal dust around the pan magnet. Put it in, cleaned the cooler lines, but I’m worried about the crap that’s left in that cooler. I was thinking about cycling the cooler to remove any old fluid and putting an inline filter on the return line. So I’m looking for some low budget advice. Is that a workable plan, or should I get a new Trans cooler. Also… On the cooler I would think the upper port is from trans and lower port is return to trans. Is that right?

Just out of curiosity Do the Transmission and Hydraulic fan share the same fluid, It looks like they might?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. B.S.

I had the pleasure of driving this car when it ran, and I liked it. Ever notice most cars, you just sit in em, but every now and then you find one that kinda feels a little like your wearing it.

Here's Lincoln's recommendation on an external filter.

They take the same fluid, and the power steering does as well, but they are all completely separate systems. The fluid does not mix. There are three separate circuits in the combination oil-to-air cooler.

Welcome Halverson! Another inherited LS! Ours came from our late son, my half brothers (who is not on this site) was inherited from his stepfather. Like yours, they are 2000's, unlike yours, both are manuals.

Before topping off the fan or steering fluid, think about sucking as much fluid as you can out of the reservoirs, then top them off. Our fan fan fluid smelled burned when we first got it 5 years ago, and I have been 'changing' the fluid this way at least once a year. Finally. this year, the smell was gone.

I agree with your PS.

Hey Mark, that's good advise, Thanks. I'm still considering just buying an after market cooler. Rock auto sells one for 119.00. Might be worth it just for the peace of mind.
I like a manual, I'm a little envious, but if i can get mine rolling again I'll be happy.

You can flush the cooler (or replace if it's big concern)

Go to a local parts store (or Rock Auto) and get a cheap electric fuel pump.

Then rig up some wiring to connect to a 12v battery... and fuel line hose to connect to the cooler.

The above setup also allows you to fill the transmission rather quickly... instead of having to hand pump the new tranny fluid in.

IMG_20221210_101803762.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back