Heater issue

biggie03

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK so I've searched the forums and have so far come up empty. My issue is that when I have the heat on, it works fine while driving, but when I come to a stop the air starts getting cooler. When you start driving again it begins working properly. Also, when it's really cold out and you start it up, the heater will not start pumping out hot air until you've been driving for 5-10 mins. HELP PLEASE!

The engine has to warm up first, in order for the car to start pumping hot air in, especially when its cold out as you desribed. Thats normal.

Ok maybe I wasn't specific enough on that last part. Obviously the engine/heater components have to warm up before the car can blow hot air. The problem I am having is that no matter how long you let the car sit and no matter the engine temperature, it won't begin blowing hot air until you start driving. Even after you've been driving for quite some time with the heater working properly, when you come to a stop (at a red light for example), the heater blows lukewarm to cool air. However, once you begin driving it resumes blowing hot air. Anyone have any helpful information?

Aux pump issue. In my case (01 LS sport), the wiring to my FEM was damaged and it wasn't energizing the relays for a couple of things (at least the horn and aux pump as far as I could tell).

No active aux pump = little to no heat while idle. I made it through half a winter wondering WTF the car wouldn't heat up the interior. As soon as you gave it a little gas (say to around at least 800-1k rpm), all was fine.

I'll have to check this out myself as I have bled all the air out. Blows cold at low RPM's. Thanks!

I know i ran the self test on the climate control before, but none of the button sequences mentioned seem to work this time.

I'll have to check this out myself as I have bled all the air out. Blows cold at low RPM's. Thanks!

I know i ran the self test on the climate control before, but none of the button sequences mentioned seem to work this time.

Those instructions are for gen II. I think that gen I is slightly different.

Those instructions are for gen II. I think that gen I is slightly different.
For Gen I, hold down the leg blower button + auto for a couple of secs, then hit auto again. It'll run through the whole shebang and give you a code.

Aux pump definitely sounds like my problem. I have a 2000 ls sport, but I wasn't able to initiate the self test with the gen I instructions you gave playa. Any ideas?

Ok found the self test instructions on another forum. The end code came up as all 8's?

What was the sequence for gen 1? I searched but none of the ones I found did the trick.

Low coolant, or messed up thermostat? I know you probably already checked, but I have to mention it just in case.

who me? yeah t-stat replaced, coolant filled/bled.

found out it is the same on gen 1, just have to do this:

turn the key "on," simultaneously press and release the OFF and FLOOR buttons, then immediately press and release the AUTO button.

Mine had no codes, just every spot on the display was lit. I assume I'm okay.

gotta love the flatulence sounds as it opens and closes the doors.

Come to think of it, I usually hear something still running under the hood for a few moments after I shut the engine off. Could this be the aux pump? Its dead quiet now when I shut it down.

I have the exact same issue. Little to no heat when sitting at stop lights and then it returns to normal when driving. Was it the aux pump?

well i just saw mine leaking down the top of the wheel well shield so my issue is most likely air in the system after it leaks (and not the aux pump). Is it a good assumption that I need a new reservoir based on the location of coolant dripping? Its dry up top where you can see it so its not the cap.
For people that have replaced the reservoir, did you note where the leak was?

well i just saw mine leaking down the top of the wheel well shield so my issue is most likely air in the system after it leaks (and not the aux pump). Is it a good assumption that I need a new reservoir based on the location of coolant dripping? Its dry up top where you can see it so its not the cap.
For people that have replaced the reservoir, did you note where the leak was?

yes, under the hood, i saw wetness and steam while hot, and on the ground a puddle, and if you look up into the wheel well, you see the leak

so you saw it coming out of the tank?
I'm sure its a fun job pulling that out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back