Heater Core

thamarkman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has been unlucky enough to replace a heater core in an 80'-89' Towncar. I know that if mine goes out, I will never have heat again. Please post your thoughts.

Oh yeah, what a nightmare. I had a 1980 TownCar that the heater was leaking and had to replace it. It only cost about $35-40 bucks back about 12 years ago but the install was a real chore. Had to remove the whole dash and understructre to get to it. That included the steering wheel column and everything. By the time I got to the heater core, the whole steering wheel column, dash and all was laying in the front seat. One place I screwed up though, I thought I could re connect the vaccume lines that run all the air doors and such from memory. Big mistake. Sure wish I had marked them all and where they came from. I never did get it working right but I did get the heater core replaced. Hope you never have to do it but if you do, it's a big job but not impossible. Good luck.

Hi Themarkman

This is the second time today someone has asked this question, I am the 80s Town Car heater core master :)

Click Here for full instructions,it's not a big job it just looks like one, you DO NOT need to remove the collumn, the dash panel will pull back far enough up the collumn to remove the plenum.

It is a piece of cake don't let Smittman frighten you off anyone with a modicum of mechanical savvy can do it.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Themarkman

This is the second time today someone has asked this question, I am the 80s Town Car heater core master :)

Click Here for full instructions,it's not a big job it just looks like one, you DO NOT need to remove the collumn, the dash panel will pull back far enough up the collumn to remove the plenum.

It is a piece of cake don't let Smittman frighten you off anyone with a modicum of mechanical savvy can do it.

Regards

Dereck
Hi Dereck..
Are the control levers for the air temp. cable or vac.?
Thanks
Matt

Hi poppa Matt

Poppa Matt said:
Hi Dereck..
Are the control levers for the air temp. cable or vac.?
Thanks
Matt

They are a mixture of vacuum and electrical with a cable to the in car air temperature sensor.

Regards

Dereck

I have a 99 Lincoln TC Executive with 66K original owner miles. The heater core just started leaking, should it be going out this soon?:confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back