Heated Seats not working

Joshawa

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I swear everything on this LS wants to break, it's starting to get on my nerves.

Only driver side doesn't work. It'll turn on for about up to a minute and then turn off. Then if I hit either heated or cooled the light just instantly turns off. I looked around and I didn't see other threads with this issue, but if there are just point me to em.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Youtube video demonstrating the issue will be up shortly, I'll get connected with FORScan to see what the specific error is later.

So I found this thread about the heating element, however that was for an 01, is it different for an 03 as mine has heated and cooled? Heated Leather Seats Question???

Edit: More digging and I found a thread where it says "The Heated/Cooled seats on the 03+ models use a Peltier device to heat or cool the air. The warm or cooled air is blown by a fan under the seats through ductwork within the seat cushion and the seatback. Thus the seats are heated on the bottom and backrest by warmed air."

What does that mean for them to be not working then?

Final Edit, After 40 minutes I finally found the TSB, now I just gotta figure out how to delete threads...

Last edited:
252849242_373d779ccd.jpg

Is there any videos or photos of the someone doing the TSB for the 03 heated seat duct crush?

Josh,
do try and keep in mind, sitting on anything too cold for long periods of time causes hemorrhoids!

~ just saying ;)

Josh,
do try and keep in mind, sitting on anything too cold for long periods of time causes hemorrhoids!

~ just saying ;)

In all seriousness... The processor that controls the seats actually has an algorithm that is supposed to protect you from that or any other damage. I'm not sure of the parameters, but it will periodically back off on the cooling (and more so the heating) to make sure that you are not injured.

In all seriousness... The processor that controls the seats actually has an algorithm that is supposed to protect you from that or any other damage. I'm not sure of the parameters, but it will periodically back off on the cooling (and more so the heating) to make sure that you are not injured.
Joe, the TSB says it takes like 4 or so hours to do this, I'm not the most mechanical of a guy but I do know one, how hard is this? I really don't want to get in over my head to the point where I'd have to pay for the broken thing plus the fact that I effed it up more.

Four is about right, if you have the correct tools, like the hog ring pliers. You'll also need hog rings and such.

Can I substitude the hog ring pliers for more duct tape ;)

Joe Im seeing here that it says the hog rings are removed for the illustration, but it says not to do it for the prcedure

Okay. I thought the seat cover had to come off. It's been a while since I read that TSB. It must not completely replace the duct. You can see it near the end of the seat cover thread. Yours is a 2003?

Joshawa did you check if the fan is running like Joe suggested? You should hear it right away if not you have blown fuse in fan motor. When I purchased mine it also had this problem same as you described. I used it to my advantage to knock a couple dollars off asking price. Thanks to Joe and his write up (link in post #4) on this issue I fixed it for free and only took me a couple hours. Verify your fan is/isnt working before going into tearing the seat apart.

Both cooling or heating you should be able to hear it as already suggested.

Some thoughts...
If it is really going for at least a minute before shutdown, I doubt that it is the fan.
If it is really a crushed duct, it would run much longer if no one is sitting in the seat. That would be another good test to try.

Members online

No members online now.
Back