Heat is Blowing Cold on One Side Hot on the Other

OneMnMoose

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a 2004 Lincoln LS w/V8. I had a problem at 194K miles. It's getting cold out and when I turn the heat on, the drivers side blows cold and the passengers side warm.

I've replaced the DCCV and bled the system several times. The heater core is getting hot on both supplies and the return. Passenger side is hot and drivers side is just a touch warm.

I'm thinking it might just be the Drivers Side Air Discharge Temp Sensor. Thoughts? Also, In my workshop manuals, I can't find any directions on locating and replacing this bugger. Can anyone help me find it? Any other suggstions on solutions?

It could be. You might try the self diagnostic, but it may not pick it up.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm
Start at "Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-Demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes — DTCs) "

If you can find someone with a scan tool with live sensor read out, that would make it easier to figure out.

A quick test that I would do is to disconnect the electrical connector at the DCCV. If you then get full heat from both sides you will know that there's no coolant blockage and your theory is probably correct. If you don't you have a coolant flow issue to resolve.

I haven't had to get to those sensors yet, so I can't offer too much help there.

I had this issue a few months back where the driver's side of the A/C stayed cool, but the passenger's side blew hot. Shut off the A/C for awhile, then it came back on fine. Unfortunately, it just happened again yesterday. Shut it off and when I got back in the car this morning everything was working as intended.

I hate the not knowing when it's gonna be the last time it "fixes itself"... Sounds like I need a new DCCV... thank god the weather is breaking here in AZ...

Any solution to this one. Mine is doing this. I've bleed it several times (V6) driver's side ice cold passenger side hot.

Any solution to this one. Mine is doing this. I've bleed it several times (V6) driver's side ice cold passenger side hot.

Have you replaced the DCCV?
Did you try disconnecting the DCCV?
Plastic cooling system parts replaced?

Original DCCV. Everything was fine until the lower radiator hose developed a leak, upper hose and Degas bottle were changed two years ago. Fixed lower hose and have repeated bled the system. Now only heat on one side. No coolant use or change in heat on the passenger side with ~300 miles of driving over the last week and half. Just tried removing fuse (#1 under the hood) for the DCCV and the condition still exists. I'll throw a DCCV at it, if that's what it takes.

One of the solenoids within the Dual Climate Control Valve is stuck.

As Joegr mentioned it will need replacing, might as well do the Auxiliary Coolant Flow pump will your in there. It will only go shortly thereafter if you don't change it now.

Murphy's law ... everything ages at the same time. :rolleyes:

... might as well do the Auxiliary Coolant Flow pump will your in there. ...:rolleyes:

The V6 has no aux pump, and it's "you're" as in you are, not "your" as in your LS has no aux pump.
(can't help it.)

The V6 has no aux pump, and it's "you're" as in you are, not "your" as in your LS has no aux pump.
(can't help it.)

10-4 Joegrammer (see what I did there!)

My bad on the V6 with no Aux pump, didn't pay enough attention to the aforementioned missing cylinders.

Ship happens

Quick revive... so is the driver side air discharge temp sensor the same as the dccv or are they two different things? I cant find this thing either..

wait I think I found it and for anyone who needs to get to it you remove the glove box to get to it..

heater core air temp sensor.jpg

Quick revive... so is the driver side air discharge temp sensor the same as the dccv or are they two different things? I cant find this thing either..

No, and your 2nd post is highlighting the passenger side, not the driver's side. Driver's side is easy to get to, as is the evaporator temperature sensor. The evap temperature sensor on my 04 soft failed (became marginal), and I've heard of that with a few other LSes.

What are your symptoms?

ive been having the no heat on passenger side thing and I did the self check and came up with a few codes one saying something about this I think its just my dccv tho but I haven't ran any tests ive been dealing with other things

Members online

Back