Heat/Air temp blend door hose job?

Wes B

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
In January 2015 I was able to purchase a lower mile (91,000) LS sport. Car had few things wrong with it and I went to local dealer to ask cost to repair all. I added cost of new rubber, misc repairs and fluid and filter changes I felt were not done as it sat in driveway of owners sons home for two years with no new plate or insurance. Car ran and drive great. I was hooked in 15 minutes over 1998 Cobra (non turbo). The issue was no place to do long repair. So malfunction of heater would be done by shop as opposed to my driveway or my Son's in the Michigan winter. I doubled the repair estimate from dealer and made offer that seller accepted. Heater temp into cabin blew out about 40-45 degrees no matter what setting or exit(s) used and would not change side to side or top to bottom with dual climate control at several uneven temps. At times on way home the next weekend when car was run at higher speed the air to cabin would warm up some but not enough to be a driver till spring. I changed out oil & filter filled tank again with fresh 93 octane premium and made left car at dealer. I had driven 120-150 miles with no other issues and happy. I was called few days later and told the very last "blend door" in the system, working from inside cabin toward engine bay was stuck partially open due to heat or other issue. I was told a flexible extention camera probe was needed to reach that door and even camera could not move door. That meant floor consule and dash had to be removed. After actuator / door assembly were replaced the car blew hot at low RPM but not at high. So then the DCCV pump assembly was replaced and its inside was found corroded. Mechanic also broke speedometer cable reinserting floor consule. Lucky me, they installed new one @ no charge for part or labor.
If I was charged for non existent parts and labor (the phantom temp blend actuator and door) perhaps is time ask dealer for refund (nicely of course). Does anyone on web sight have absolute proof the part that is or could be called temp blend door and actuator does not exist in any Lincoln LS. I was told several times but sadly no proof that could be called indisputable. I have photo of supposed assemble (bottom) the where DCCV or pump attaches to and the door assembly of same that with the heater core. They work together to alter heat or cold to deliver correct air temp to cabin by electric actuator I was told.
Sincerely,

Heater core and blend box door for Lincoln LS.JPG

All they have to do is pull out the parts diagram and show part part - and part number - they supposedly replaced. There may have been an actuator stuck, and it's even possible the parts book calls it a "blend door". They call the shocks "struts", and they are quite clearly not struts at all. I would expect the part number to be on your receipt also. Hopefully they weren't crazy enough to make up a bogus part number, or bill you for a part that doesn't even fit the LS.

There absolutely is not a "blend door" on the LS. ALL of the air goes through the evaporator and the heater core. The actuators only direct the air - fresh vs recirc, floor/vent/windshield.

Your root problem was, from most likely to least:
1) Stuck DCCV valve
2) Cracked plastic parts == air in cooling system == incorrect coolant flow and pressure
3) aux pump issue (pump itself or wiring)
4) DATC circuit failure
5) Someone put a plug in a hose
6) Act Of God
7) actuator door

Thanks for taking time to reply. The dealer performed the camera up the air outlet first for a look without even checking the DCCV for function or any under hood parts they referred to DCCV as "the pump" in system used to assist pushing water to core or cold from A/C I called dealer yesterday and same person stated yesterday that the "temp blend door" would be found in pictures of door module actuator or perhaps heater box. On the parts numbers have found no such thing as temp blend door or heater box door. However, I have found one part that is just "no longer available". I will look up and find out exactly how hot and cold air mixes and where in all Lincoln LS sedans in Chilton's at library.
I am most disturbed on my getting in hurry and putting up picture of Navigator heater box. My fault and found mistake made when member said was not LS part. I was wrong on not taking time to verify picture I used. If dealer misled or lied to me concerning repair I will need facts in writing from repair manual as proof. manual on E Bay is costly at $135.00 and two years after job, system works perfectly.
Actually most important to me is for all to know that my picture of Navigator heater box I posted in error is known as honest mistake made in haste not an attempt to deceive anyone. Thanks again for post, I think is time for me to learn how system works and get to clean this mess myself. I have receipt with Vin# and all the rest. Now time for some homework and facts from repair manual.
04 LS Sport V8 -- 96000 miles on winter vacation
09 Mariner Premium 3.0 DI V-6 4WD - 127,000+ miles runs great

manual on E Bay is costly at $135.00
If you are getting all 3 LS manuals for that price, (for year you own)... and considering the manuals are becoming harder to find,,, then $135 may be money well spent. They might pay for themselves with the first "big job" you do by yourself,,, rather than taking the LS to a shop. Something to consider.

Thanks for comment and good suggestion. Last I looked on E bay was several complete sets of all 3 shop manuals for 2004 Lincoln LS. Green covers in good shape. I came close 6 months ago on full set with more use for only $40 plus sent media mail. (3 month wait, LOL). But last time lowest price complete set was set of three shop manual for Lincoln LS for 135.00 I have saved to my watch list and maybe gone but was sure could find one complete available. The reason for me not buying first one up is the only place to work on my car in shelter with tools is my Son's garage. He has EVO that runs in high 9's and dyno record on what he calls the "Mustang" dyno. Then second car was 94 Turbo fox body convert 347 stroker based on original 5.0 also turbocharged but stock (limited power ceiling) Ford block and just driver. That is now for sale after few some street driving and up to St Ignas couple years. The Convert is in trailer now and Maroon 4 eye roller with fiberglass 2 eye front took its lace inside garage. He is building and 645 cube 385 BB for it in and body, paint work wanted. So the old man (me) has no garage time till he feels like moving EVO out side to make room or roller can be moved but is getting toward spring. At 65 (Was 63) when bought LS. I have limited time/energy to work on car other than stuff can do in nice weather outside at this time. Your statement and thoughts about manual set being very much worth 135 or even more to save much grief and expense is true. I had near 5 years working in dealership, became clear near all profit comes from used car sales and service (circus) department (customer pay work). I worked few months as service writer and spent rest of 81-86 as new and used car salesman, used car (trade in) appraiser as used car manager assistant also going to dealer auctions. I also took new car managers place when not in dealership or on vacation. Many folks were taken atvantage of. Was great day when stated in transportation business. Thanks Again for post and is worth second look at manual set.

Thanks for comment and good suggestion. Last I looked on E bay was several complete sets of all 3 shop manuals for 2004 Lincoln LS. Green covers in good shape. I came close 6 months ago on full set with more use for only $40 plus sent media mail. (3 month wait, LOL). But last time lowest price complete set was set of three shop manual for Lincoln LS for 135.00

That may be the going price now on Ebay. Save yourself the grief... and if you can get "buy it now" for less than $100... it will be money well spent! If nothing else,,, but only for the proper torque values on all bolts. Very helpful when rebuilding/replacing suspension or cooling system parts. At that point,,, the manuals pay for themselves. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Keep in mind that Chiltons/Haynes doesn't make manuals for the LS!!!

Not to make you think twice... but back in 2011,,, I paid $60 for all 3 manuals on e-bay for a "buy it now". Not hardly a grease print or fold on the manuals I received. Times are different nowadays.

Thanks for information and experience 04_Sport_ LS . I really had that feeling in back of mind few months ago that should have bought set of three with no damage (looked new) for $37.00. I am seeing the trend of prices going up and can move higher fast on E Bay with this type of product. Thanks also as had no idea Chilton never made LS manual. thanks again for BIG fact. That ends that plan fast! Disc set is still listed for $37 now -- since do not have laptop or notebook to use would prefer text anyway. Since other auto repair books have bought and used start out as new or great condition and end up dog eared and grease marked and ground in dirt after project. With manual set would be wise use scanner and print needed pages when going to use for specific job. I found a set for about $50.00+ now but was only two books shown in picture of sale with "electrical" off to side book only binding edge in picture. Need to verify with seller sale includeds all three 2004 LS shop manuals or just buy complete low use set. I have never bought a car I knew so little about before. Manuals will be possibly best investment can make for this car. Appreciate time for reply and relay of personal experience.

Thanks very much Oddball. thanks also to Owlman for taking time to install much needed information. If have difficult time obtaining paperback 3 volume workshop set, his web link will be huge help over seat of the pants job atempt. I am of opinon that electrical workshop manual for LS is more important for this specific car than any previous cars have owned or worked on. Has many new and first use in combination complex electrical and electronic functions and upgrades used by lincoln in in smaller (at time) 4 door sedan and Ford T Bird.

since do not have laptop or notebook to use would prefer text anyway. Since other auto repair books have bought and used start out as new or great condition and end up dog eared and grease marked and ground in dirt after project. With manual set would be wise use scanner and print needed pages when going to use for specific job.
Exactly. You'll find yourself going back to the suspension and cooling system sections fairly often. I like being able to flip the paper pages for quick reference. Just my preference though.

Members online

Back