Health Care - A Criminal Investigation

Vitas

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the health care issue should be focused on a Congressional criminal investigation as to how premium costs could possibly have increased by a factor of about 400% over the last nine years. The current focus on figuring out a scheme as to how to pay the thieves is in and of itself criminal.

Vitas

Congress cannot conduct "criminal" investigations. Besides, there has to be a crime that was possibly committed, a law that was probably broken. What law was possibly broken (and what makes you think it was broken) in this case?

In my opinion the health care issue should be focused on a Congressional criminal investigation as to how premium costs could possibly have increased by a factor of about 400% over the last nine years. The current focus on figuring out a scheme as to how to pay the thieves is in and of itself criminal.

Vitas

That's not correct, average premiums increased only about 120% from '99 to '07 while average care costs increased only 70%. It was those over-inflated premiums combined with declining medical cost ratios that resulted in PROFITS by the insurance companies that increased an average of 428% from '00-'07.

It's not a crime as long is it's OK with Republicans. :rolleyes:

That's not correct, average premiums increased only about 120% from '99 to '07 while average care costs increased only 70%. It was those over-inflated premiums combined with declining medical cost ratios that resulted in PROFITS by the insurance companies that increased an average of 428% from '00-'07.

You have yet to be able to prove that. You continue to cite two separate facts and connect them through assumptions alone.

You have yet to show weather these "profits" are gross or net (a very important distinction) and you have yet to prove that the premiums are in fact "over-inflated". Simply asserting they are doesn't prove that and your continued inability to prove it shows a glaring weakness in your flawed argument.

Just because some liberal source calls them profits doesn't mean they are truly profits and gives no indication of weather those "profits" are before or after operating costs are removed (hence the need to a "gross" or "net" profit distinctions). If you are going to claim that these companies are "over-inflating" premiums then you HAVE to show that the increase is not due to the various operating costs; something you haven't done. FYI; the actual cost of health care is only a PART of their operating costs.

Have you ever considered the fact that many states impose premium taxes on insurance companies? How do you think that would effect the costs of doing business? It sure wouldn't lower them.

Also, what about the fact that most states mandate coverage of certain treatments? How would those mandates (or adding more mandates on the insurance companies) effect the costs of doing business for them? Again, it sure wouldn't lower them.

Those are only some of the possibilities that you have to logically discount (not dismiss and/or mock) in order to be able to claim what you are claiming. Otherwise, all you are doing is spreading disinformation and half-truths through cherry picked facts and distortion.

They can start an investigation of ethics eh? We have an ethics committee for a reason

No.
That's not even what that committee is for.
The Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, which is known as the ethics committee, is supposed to regulate behavior of congressmen. Not pass down judgment on the citizens.

You have yet to be able to prove that. You continue to cite two separate facts and connect them through assumptions alone.

You have yet to show weather these "profits" are gross or net (a very important distinction) and you have yet to prove that the premiums are in fact "over-inflated". Simply asserting they are doesn't prove that and your continued inability to prove it shows a glaring weakness in your flawed argument.

Shag, I've already *owned* you on the "net income" / PROFITS FACT in the other thread on that topic. Your refusal to acknowledge that fact only demonstrates your inablility to debate in good faith and your inclination to distort reality due to your intellectual dishonesty. Until you grow up and come to grips with this, I'm not wasting any time proving this to you AGAIN.

Also, what about the fact that most states mandate coverage of certain treatments? How would those mandates (or adding more mandates on the insurance companies) effect the costs of doing business for them? Again, it sure wouldn't lower them.

Those "mandated coverages of certain treatments" would be included in the overall increases in "medical costs", now wouldn't they. But you either are too stupid to realize that fact, or are intentionally throwing stuff against the wall hoping something will stick further exposing your inherent dishonesty and inability to debate in good faith. Go away little boy.

Shag, I've already *owned* you on the "net income" / PROFITS FACT in the other thread on that topic.

sure you have.... :rolleyes:

The thing is, your entire point here is misleading because, as I already stated, it cites two unrelated facts and assumes a relationship that would fit into your narrative.

You have yet to be able to, in any way, verify that any relationship (let alone the one you assume) is in fact there.

Citing an increase in profits leaves too many variables that can explain that increase, not the least of which is an expansion of the client base or a better means to control costs. There is no way that an increase in profits can be attributed simply to "greed" unless and until you discount those other variables (which you haven't even attempted to do).

Keep in mind how net profit is calculated: net profit = Sales Revenue - cost of goods sold (COGS) - fixed (overhead) costs

That "fixed costs" variable covers quite a bit of stuff, from operating expenses, to interest payable, etc., etc. However you are ignoring that entire category. An increase in health care costs would only effect the COGS variable while a mandated increase in coverage of certain treatments would effect both the "sales revenue" variable (price x quantity) as well as COGS.

There is no way from the few facts you have cited that you can conclude that the increase in profits is due to "greed" and "over-inflated" premiums.

A better indicator might be any changes in the net profit margin over the course of the years in question for the various companies (on an individual basis as they are not comparable in an "averaged out" manner). But even then, that would be flawed.

Those "mandated coverages of certain treatments" would be included in the overall increases in "medical costs", now wouldn't they.

Nope.

the increase in health care costs is just that; an increase in healthcare costs. An increase in the various procedures that an insurance company is mandated to cover is something entirely different. It means the insurance companies are mandated to cover more of those procedures that are increasing in costs. While both would change the COGS and the sale revenue (premiums in this case), they do so in different ways.

You still have yet to confront the issue of a "premium tax" that many states impose. That would increase COGS and mandate an increase in premiums by a multiple of the actual tax figure.

I will reiterate what I already pointed out in a previous thread; what you are doing is ignoring whatever factors lead to the rise in premiums and instead blaming it on a factor (greed) that is present in the rise of premiums but cannot, due to economic reality, raise premiums in and of itself. Some other factor(s) (like increased costs, increases in state government imposed "premium taxes", etc) lead to the increase in premiums. There is no other economically realistic explanation. So, to make your claim you have to be either economically illiterate, intellectually dishonest, or both.

To paraphrase a line I read a while ago, to blame the increase in health insurance premiums on "greed" is like blaming plane crashes on gravity. Certainly planes wouldn't crash if it wasn't for gravity. But when thousands of planes fly millions of miles every day without crashing, explaining why a particular plane crashed because of gravity gets you nowhere.

To paraphrase a line I read a while ago, to blame the increase in health insurance premiums on "greed" is like blaming plane crashes on gravity. Certainly planes wouldn't crash if it wasn't for gravity. But when thousands of planes fly millions of miles every day without crashing, explaining why a particular plane crashed because of gravity gets you nowhere.
BINGO! This should be a sticky quote. Attacking greed is absurd.

The thing is, your entire point here is misleading because, as I already stated, it cites two unrelated facts and assumes a relationship that would fit into your narrative.

You have yet to be able to, in any way, verify that any relationship (let alone the one you assume) is in fact there.
………..
Keep in mind how net profit is calculated: net profit = Sales Revenue - cost of goods sold (COGS) - fixed (overhead) costs
"sales revenue" variable (price x quantity)

Only an idiot would claim there is no connection between two “unrelated facts”, further claim that I’m assuming there is a relationship, then turn around and show exactly how they are related. BRILLIANT!

Citing an increase in profits leaves too many variables that can explain that increase, not the least of which is an expansion of the client base or a better means to control costs.

You are either being utterly dishonest, or are completely ignorant of the fact that the number of people with private health insurance has been on the DECLINE. Therefore, you cannot blame “expanded client base” for an increase in sales revenue and in turn increase in profits. In fact, quite the contrary: The FACTUAL decrease in health insurers’ client base would, according to your equation above, reduce sales revenue and in turn reduce profits. I was being generous by allowing that factor be flat for my argument.

http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=233
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-07-01-health-insurance_N.htm
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/webfeatures_econindicators_income_20080826_health/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32776829/ns/health-health_care/

Diane Rowland, executive vice president of the Kaiser Family Foundation, also noted the decreases in the percentage of people with employer-provided insurance in 2008 for the eighth year in a row. She cited the proliferation of small businesses, which typically decline to offer insurance because of rising premium costs, which could lead to additional declines in private insurance even if the economy improves.
Similarly, to blame changes in overhead costs for an increase in profits, according to your equation, overhead would have to DECREASE in order to result in an increase in profits. The FACT is, overhead costs of private insurers have tracked increases in premiums (http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=217 ), hovering around 11-12% of premiums. (This in of itself is interesting since one would think that overhead costs would track the number of claims processed, which would be more closely aligned with health care expenditures by the insurance companies. Considering premiums have increased faster than expenditures, is this more evidence of the insurance industry opportunistically inflating reported overhead costs to allow them to underreport their real profits? Here’s an interesting article on this topic: http://www.miller-mccune.com/health/obama-plan-to-cap-health-insurance-overhead-flawed-1459 ) So since premiums have increased, so have overhead costs. Again, I was being generous by allowing that factor to remain flat.

Let’s break your equation down further, shall we?

NP (net profit) = SR (sales revenue) – COGS – FC (fixed costs)

SR = PR (premiums) * NOC (number of clients)

FC = ~0.12 * PR

Therefore:
NP = PR * (NOC – 0.12) – COGS

We know COGS went up 70% from ’00-’07. Since NP is inversely proportional to COGS, increasing COGS puts downward pressure on NP.

We know NOC went DOWN from ’00-’07. Since NP is proportional to NOC, decreasing NOC puts downward pressure on NP.

Neither of those two claims of yours holds water with the facts. Try again.

We know PR went UP 120% from ’00-’07. Since NP is proportional to PR, increasing PR puts upward pressure on NP.

WHY did PR go up more than COGS? Sure, some increase was necessary to offset the decrease in NOC and the increase in COGS otherwise profits would have fallen. But profits DID NOT FALL, they went UP, 428% ON AVERAGE. Did premiums really need to go up 1.7 times as much as COGS? When a company passes along cost increases to their customers while maintaining steady or modest increases in profits, that’s keeping the business going. But when a company gouges the customers with price increases beyond what is necessary to cover increased costs WHILE INCREASING PROFITS way beyond anything that can be remotely described as “MODEST”, that is called CORPORATE GREED.

You still have yet to confront the issue of a "premium tax" that many states impose. That would increase COGS and mandate an increase in premiums by a multiple of the actual tax figure.
IF a “premium tax” is imposed, it would NOT translate to increased COGS. That’s like saying if sales tax goes up, so do the wholesale costs the manufacturer charges the store for goods. A “premium tax” would make “premiums” go up. AGAIN, the figures I’ve used already include increases that have resulted in changes in taxes over the years, in this case, the 70% increase in premiums charged already includes the added taxes (if imposed).

I will reiterate what I already pointed out in a previous thread; what you are doing is ignoring whatever factors lead to the rise in premiums
WRONG. What I have done was by process of elimination, showed that GREED is the only remaining factor that has driven the health insurance industry’s quest for profits through over-inflated premiums above and beyond what would’ve been necessary to cover increases in medical care costs. I have accounted for the primary factor repeatedly blamed by the insurance industry for those premium increases (increases in medical care costs), and have given the benefit of the doubt to the other minor factors (size of client base and overhead costs) by assuming they’ve remained flat over the last 8 or so years. BUT THANKS TO YOU bringing those minor factors into the debate, the data reveals that the client base has shrunk and overhead costs have increased along with premium increases, both of which would apply downward pressure on net profits, NOT UPWARD pressure as you are claiming. This only makes my argument stronger and yours weaker. THANKS.

Some other factor(s) (like increased costs, increases in state government imposed "premium taxes", etc) lead to the increase in premiums.
Instead of continuing to throw things against the wall, why don’t you try some research on your own and provide some actual numbers that support your argument, like HOW MUCH have “premium taxes” increased over the last 8 years, or specifically how much effect have those “premium taxes” had on increased premiums over the years? I’ve already provided the facts on medical care costs, and they have not increased nearly as much as premiums and only explain 2/3 of the increases in premiums. WHAT ABOUT that other 1/3?? OH, that’s right, you are not attempting to engage in an honest debate using facts, and you’d rather diffuse my point with innuendo, distraction and distortion. “Facts” are just an inconvenient myth in your world. The ball is in your court. YOU made the bold claim that a “premium tax” was the cause of increases in premiums. SHOW IT WITH NUMBERS AND FACTS. As I’ve said before, each additional post you make on this topic without providing factual data to back up your argument only exposes your ignorance on the subject and further firms up your position of being one of the most dishonest debaters on this forum.

to blame the increase in health insurance premiums on "greed" is like blaming plane crashes on gravity.

Thanks for acknowledging that greed, like gravity, is an ever-present, unstoppable force in the health insurance industry. *owned*

What I have done was by process of elimination, showed that GREED is the only remaining factor that has driven the health insurance industry’s quest for profits through over-inflated premiums above and beyond what would’ve been necessary to cover increases in medical care costs.

Assuming factors away, or distorting information to dismiss those factors does not qualify as showing that greed is the only remaining factor through the process of elimination.

Answer me this:

If greed is the cause of these premiums going up, then how come greed has not lead to a similar increase in prices in other markets? Greed is as much a factor in other markets, yet they seem relatively stable in price. In fact, the abnormally high increase in costs in every area of the healthcare industry (insurance, pharmaceutical, medical procedures, etc.) is HIGHLY abnormal when compared to other markets. Since greed is a factor in all those markets as well, how can greed lead to a consistent, abnormal increase in prices for this market but not for others?

Also, if greed is the determining factor, how can you eliminate it (or at least counter it)?

Assuming factors away, or distorting information to dismiss those factors does not qualify as showing that greed is the only remaining factor through the process of elimination.

I didn't assume any factors away, nor have I distorted information. Until you state specifically what factors I've "assumed away" or "distorted" and how they've been distorted (by providing some facts and data to the contrary for example), you are mischaracterizing once again.

Answer me this:

If greed is the cause of these premiums going up, then how come greed has not lead to a similar increase in prices in other markets? Greed is as much a factor in other markets, yet they seem relatively stable in price. In fact, the abnormally high increase in costs in every area of the healthcare industry (insurance, pharmaceutical, medical procedures, etc.) is HIGHLY abnormal when compared to other markets. Since greed is a factor in all those markets as well, how can greed lead to a consistent, abnormal increase in prices for this market but not for others?

Moved any goalposts lately? :rolleyes:

I'm sure greed has played a role in price increases in other markets, to some extent. Regulation that has been absent in the heath insurance industry probably keeps runaway greed in check in other markets. The insurance industry is more complex than some other markets and therefore is ripe for hiding greed behind other excuses for price increases. But that is off topic and is a subject for another thread.

Also, if greed is the determining factor, how can you eliminate it (or at least counter it)?

SINGLE PAYER / PUBLIC OPTION ;)

I didn't assume any factors away, nor have I distorted information. Until you state specifically what factors I've "assumed away" or "distorted" and how they've been distorted (by providing some facts and data to the contrary for example), you are mischaracterizing once again.

So, unless I take the time and show, in each instance, how you are assuming away factors and distorting, I am mischaractering? Can you say, "moving the goalposts?

I know what you are doing is dishonest, you know it and anyone reading this knows it. I don't have time to waste going through and spelling it out.

The only way what you say makes any sense at all is if you have no understanding of basic economics and accounting. It also helps if you are functioning under certain heavily flawed and naive Marxist economic assumptions (like "profits drive up costs", "profits are bad", etc.). Both seem to be true in your case.

Moved any goalposts lately? :rolleyes:

It is the reasonable point I have raised a number of times and you have avoided and mischaracterized to facilitate that avoidance.

I'm sure greed has played a role in price increases in other markets, to some extent. Regulation that has been absent in the heath insurance industry probably keeps runaway greed in check in other markets.

Not enough regulation?! The health care industry (and, specifically the health care INSURANCE industry) is one of the most heavily regulated industries in America today, if not THE most heavily regulated.

SINGLE PAYER / PUBLIC OPTION ;)

And how, exactly, would that counter it? If greed is inherent in the healthcare industry, it is due to the individuals making up that industry. So that greed would also be just as inherent in the individuals making up (and implementing) this new, government run system. The only difference MAY be in what the greed is focused on; money vs. power/influence. So, is political self-interest somehow more pure then fiscal self-interest?

Or is a single payer system somehow going to magically change human nature? :rolleyes:

Another post lacking any facts to support your opinion, and resorting to personal attacks when you are backed into a corner. :eek: Big surprize. I'll waste no more time with you, but leave you with this graph and something to think about trying to explain.

Healthcare Injustice.jpg

So..

you can't explain how a single payer system and/or a "public option" would counter the supposed "greed" in the health insurance industry.

You can't explain why greed alone would cause a huge increase in premiums. In fact, you have essentially agreed that the same "greed" is in every other industry in America, which would negate your entire premise that greed alone is somehow causing the increase in premiums. Instead it has to be some other factor that is causing it (a point that you refuse to even acknowledge half the time). The only thing you have offered is distortion to try and counter any other potential factor or groundless speculation that the other factor is a lack of regulation.

Yet despite all that you have somehow "owned" me? FYI; if you have to inform someone that you "owned" them, you didn't "own" them.

The burden of proof is, and always has been on you. It is not on me to "provide facts". The issues I have raised don't question the facts you provided, it questions your interpretation of those facts. Characterizing it as something where I need to "provide facts" is misleading. As usual.

I have raised substantive and legitimate critiques that you have avoided through mischaracterization and dishonesty. Now you are accusing me of "personal attacks" as a means to avoid confronting those substantive issue and answering the questions I raised, specifically in my previous post. Isn't it you who loves to point out "hypocrisy"?

It is a waste of my time to go through and counter all the dishonest and inconsistent intellectual contortions you use to rationalize your ignorant preconceived notions.

Maybe you should try and educate yourself on basic economics before you try and demonize capitalism. In fact, that approach would benefit you immensely on most any political subject you spout off about. Because condescending to other on things you are clearly ignorant on only makes you look like a fool, a propagandist and a hack (among other things).

I don't see how anyone can try to or claim to solve a problem unless they thoroughly examine what is causing the problem. We all have assumptions of what is causing the problem. We need to determine as precisely as possible, exactly, as factually as possible, what is causing these exorbitant premium increases. Only then can anyone attempt, I would think, to try to solve the issue.

Simply devising a plan to throw more money at a problem, i.e. give them the cash that they want, is in my opinion comical.

We need a Congressional investigation as to precisely what is going on with these radical increases in costs. Are they justified, or is Bernie Madoff involved? -ng-

This issue could cripple the USA soon if it is not addressed in the proper manner. Who the hell needs terrorists when you have the health care industry able to implode the USA.

Vitas

I spoke to a health care professional this evening.

The issue is COST CONTROL: why have costs gone up by a factor of 4x in the last ten years.

The issue is COST CONTROL: why have costs gone up by a factor of 4x in the last ten years.

Here are the big reasons why health care costs have gone up:
  • Medicare/Medicaid
  • Federal ban on purchasing health insurance across state lines (reduces competition among insurers to next to nothing)
  • Litigation/malpractice insurance/legal paranoia dictating medical care (studies show this accounts for around 10% of health care costs)
  • The FDA
  • hidden costs due to insurance provided by employers (due to government tax credit)
  • various government mandates/regulations at various levels (like the many state mandates on insurance coverage, state health insurance premium taxes, mandatory coverage of anyone coming into the emergency room regardless of ability to pay, etc.)
  • new medical procedures/innovations
Probably the single biggest factor is Medicare/Medicaid. Costs were already increasing due to the tax credit to employers who provided health coverage for their employees and the costs skyrocketed after Medicare/Medicaid came on the scene...

Was he a health provider? Or a health insurance agent? :rolleyes:

You've been mislead. The costs of health care services has NOT gone up 4x (400%). The cost of health insuance premiums have gone up 4x as much as wages and inflation. If you'd take time to research the facts (see chart above), you'd see this deception being played by the right and the insurance industry.

Increases in the cost of health care services only account for 2/3 of the increases in premiums. The other 1/3 of premium increases has been pocketed by the insurance industry as PROFITS.

as I see it Blue Cross Blue shield has lost their monopoly in the field resulting in higher premiums and hospital bills ,as a monopoly BCBS was able to regulate the costs of services..only a theory mind you !

as I see it Blue Cross Blue shield has lost their monopoly in the field resulting in higher premiums and hospital bills ,as a monopoly BCBS was able to regulate the costs of services..only a theory mind you !

Not at my workplace. 10 years ago we had a choice of 4 different health insurance plans from 4 different insurance providers, along with options within each of those plans. About 8 years ago, BCBS monopolized our area and we now have only 3 plan options, ALL from BCBS. Premimums shot up, co-pays shot up, and covered services dwindled. Not surprizingly, WellPoint profits increased 1,380% from 2000 - 2007. :mad:

how premium costs could possibly have increased by a factor of about 400% over the last nine years.
Consolidation and Merger = No Competition = Customers get screwed = Stock holders, like me, get rich

You've been mislead. The costs of health care services has NOT gone up 4x (400%). The cost of health insuance premiums have gone up 4x as much as wages and inflation. If you'd take time to research the facts (see chart above), you'd see this deception being played by the right and the insurance industry.

Actually, Vitas, you would be well advised to keep in mind that the chart Johnny is talking about makes conclusions that do not logically follow from info cited. The conclusions are, frankly, economically incoherent. They assume that somehow insurance companies can arbitrarily raise prices (in the form of increased premiums) and still see a profit. Something that is IMPOSSIBLE in a free market.

This is due to an absurd distortion of profits inherent in Marxism:
Profits May be the most misconceived subject in economics...From [a socialist] perspective, profits were simply unneccessary charges added on to the inherent costs of producing goods and services driving up the cost to the consumers...

While Capitalism has a visible cost - profit - that does not exist under socialism, socialism has an invisible cost - inefficiency - that gets weeded out by losses and bankruptcy under capitalism. The fact that most goods are more widely affordable in a capitalism economy implies that profit is less costly then inefficiency. Put differently, profit is a price paid for efficiency. Clearly the greater efficiency must outweigh the profit or else socialism would in fact have had the more affordable prices and greater prosperity that its theorists expected, but which failed to materialize in the real world. If in fact the cost of profits exceeded the value of efficiency they promote, then non-profit organizations or government agencies could get the same work done cheaper or better than profit-making enterprises and could displace them in the competition of the marketplace.
-Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics, 3rd Ed.​
In addition to being illogical and based on cherry picked half-truths, the conclusions drawn in Johnny's arguments are based on a number of economic misconceptions, not the least of which is the Marxist misconception of profits pointed out by Dr. Sowell.

It is exceedingly easy, intellectually, to blame an increase in profits, premiums, etc on arbitrary increases due to greed, but that is not at all consistent with economic reality and does not make any sense whatsoever when viewed in that light. Only by something standing in the way of free market competitive forces (which only the government is capable of doing in the long run) can greed in the insurance industry lead to an increase in premiums and/or profits.

The "solutions" Johnny advocates for these things (more regulation, a public option, universal healthcare) are intellectually inconsistent with his arguments for why prices are going up and, again, economically naive.

Increases in the cost of health care services only account for 2/3 of the increases in premiums. The other 1/3 of premium increases has been pocketed by the insurance industry as PROFITS.

The part in italics has yet to be proven. It is based on speculation and assumption (though Johnny will never admit that) as well as ignoring economic reality. Johnny is either intentionally catering in disinformation and/or is utterly ignorant of how the economy works.

Members online

No members online now.
Back