Headliner question

LSInBmore

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My headliner on my 06 right at the brake light continues to fall down..I've tried a few things double sided tape,velcro and nothing seems to keep it in place..Anyone else having this issue and if so what did you do to resolve it permanently?

It's not a real issue,looking thru the rear view mirror but i know people behind me see it and thats what bothers me more than anything..

Thanks

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to fix my head liner.

If you glue the stock locking velcro back in place use some RTV silicone and DONT reattach the headliner until the next day.

To let it dry before you add a load to it.

I also had a spot that I just siliconed up so I used an empty box inside the back seat proped up against the headliner while it dried...

Works great.

The first time around I was just glueing it and sticking it back up while proping. Didnt last at all and pulled free.

Just sayin.

Same problem on my 04 and my 06. I tried a few things on the 04 and then gave up. (It gets so hot inside a car here that even Gorilla Glue will turn loose after a while.)

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to fix my head liner.

If you glue the stock locking velcro back in place use some RTV silicone and DONT reattach the headliner until the next day.

To let it dry before you add a load to it.

I also had a spot that I just siliconed up so I used an empty box inside the back seat proped up against the headliner while it dried...

Works great.

The first time around I was just glueing it and sticking it back up while proping. Didnt last at all and pulled free.

Just sayin.

Will try this today...thanks

Same problem on my 04 and my 06. I tried a few things on the 04 and then gave up. (It gets so hot inside a car here that even Gorilla Glue will turn loose after a while.)

I use this...

highheat.jpg

thats pretty much how i fixed mine

i fixed mine two years ago and havent had a problem with it since, basically you need to get a large piece of heavy duty velcro (both sides) then i mixed some epoxy up and put it on each piece then place one side on the headliner itself and the other on the brake light housing, do not push the two side together yet, wait until the epoxy sets up, then the next day you can push the two sides back together.

thats pretty much how i fixed mine

i fixed mine two years ago and havent had a problem with it since, basically you need to get a large piece of heavy duty velcro (both sides) then i mixed some epoxy up and put it on each piece then place one side on the headliner itself and the other on the brake light housing, do not push the two side together yet, wait until the epoxy sets up, then the next day you can push the two sides back together.

I did the same; used epoxy on the Velcro that attached to the roof, put a piece of cardboard between the Velcro with pressure by propping up with my long ice scraper until the epoxy set up then took out the cardboard, pressed up and haven't had any problem since and that was four years ago.

There is a TSB 03-17-25 on the problem.

you should give some epoxy a try Joe, it wont loosen up over time like most glues will from the heat

It's not a real issue,looking thru the rear view mirror but i know people behind me see it and thats what bothers me more than anything..

Thanks

mine hangs down (but looks normal until wind gets up there, then it starts goin up n down real fast) but i have tint and u cant see it hangs from outside the car. are your windows tinted?

Say it ain't so, Joe! I just Gorilla'd all the velcro on mine. Will let ya'll know how it fares next summer in DFW.

I had this issue and tried several different solutions that all failed to be permanent. I was working at a chevy dealer at the time, and noticed a lot of the newer gm's were using "christmas tree" clips at the rear of the headliner. I walked into the parts department, found one that was close to my interior color, drilled a hole a few inches behind my dome light through the headliner and a metal bar that goes across the inside of the roof (make sure you use a drill stop, unless you want speedholes in your roof) and pushed the clip in. Easy, quick, cheap, and haven't had a problem since!

I think i got it fixed will have to see how it holds up after a few days with the windows down, but at the moment it flush and sitting like it suppose to.. I used black expoxy on the velcro then wedged two pieces of wood between the headliner and the rear seats with padding on each end, I had enough force applied between them to have it sitting flush...If that makes sense

Thanks for the help guys

Quick follow up. We've had over 30 consecutive days over 100 degrees in DFW, and the gorilla glue is still holding great. I was really careful with the application - used a lot of spit, a lot of clamps, and let it sit for almost 24 hours. Thankfully the clamp marks eventually came out of the headliner.

Quick follow up. We've had over 30 consecutive days over 100 degrees in DFW, and the gorilla glue is still holding great. I was really careful with the application - used a lot of spit, a lot of clamps, and let it sit for almost 24 hours. Thankfully the clamp marks eventually came out of the headliner.

Good to know. I'm about at the point where I really need to do something for both of mine.

This must be a really common flaw. It was probably the first one I noticed when I bought my "06 with 50k. I theorized that driving with the sunroof open caused air to flow in between the headliner and roof until it separated all the way back to the 3rd brake light. The sides are held in place but I have about an inch gap back there, which is much less noticeable now with 20% tints. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This is one of the main reasons I come to LVC everyday!

This must be a really common flaw. It was probably the first one I noticed when I bought my "06 with 50k. I theorized that driving with the sunroof open caused air to flow in between the headliner and roof until it separated all the way back to the 3rd brake light. The sides are held in place but I have about an inch gap back there, which is much less noticeable now with 20% tints. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This is one of the main reasons I come to LVC everyday!

Nothing to do with airflow or the moon roof. It just falls after a while.

It's just poor selection of adhesive and poor application at the factory.
On the gorilla glue, it's easy to miss that it requires direct moisture to properly set. It'll expand a lot if you do it right, so proper clamping is essential, and usually some trimming/cleanup afterwards. If you have to reapply the velcro on the roof, make sure to put something on the interior for the glue to drip onto. It'll seep out the edges as it expands and make a mess.
Time will still tell, of course. At least 10 more consecutive 100+ days with no precip for this summer.....

I had this issue and tried several different solutions that all failed to be permanent. I was working at a chevy dealer at the time, and noticed a lot of the newer gm's were using "christmas tree" clips at the rear of the headliner. I walked into the parts department, found one that was close to my interior color, drilled a hole a few inches behind my dome light through the headliner and a metal bar that goes across the inside of the roof (make sure you use a drill stop, unless you want speedholes in your roof) and pushed the clip in. Easy, quick, cheap, and haven't had a problem since!

I did the same thing with a couple of the plastic clips. I had them left over from a Ford Ranger interior clip set.

Nothing to do with airflow or the moon roof. It just falls after a while.

Hi Joe, I know that you are one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys in this board, but whether air flow from the sunroof actually caused the issue, it does blow though the front seam and out the back causing a violent vibration at the brake light area like dNyce described, in my case at least.

Hi Joe, I know that you are one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys in this board, but whether air flow from the sunroof actually caused the issue, it does blow though the front seam and out the back causing a violent vibration at the brake light area like dNyce described, in my case at least.

Sorry, my comment was meant to say that even without a moon roof, or never opening it, your headliner would fall at the back after x months.

Members online

Back