Headlights that do not turn off!!

MN12hybrid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I never had working auto lamps since I got the car. Hell, I dont even fully know how they work to be honest.. I know that one dial turns up and down the dash lights in brightness, and if you push it far enough, it will click and turn on the interior lights. The other dial I have no clue because I never got them working normally - Is that to adjust the sensitivity to darkness?

I was eventually going to get to it, and even picked up the switch panel, and light sensor for it at the wrecking yard from a Mark that really did NOT belong at a wrecking yard (under 100k and recent swap to Eibach Springs and Ford Shocks). I also got a TON of other parts, and hoarding them, and in the middle of slowly changing out all the worn **** on my Mark to get it back on the road, without having to worry as I drive it.

I came out today and my car was dead... very dead... I was pissed because I just bought a new battery and ready to call the shop to tell them what happened with their lovely battery I just paid for. I charged the battery up, on a slow 2 amp charge and installed it, and my headlights were stuck on! This happened to me in the past about a month before when I got to work one morning and found my headlights were on and wouldn't turn off, and I had to pull a battery cable off, so I would not have a dead battery at the end of the day. At the end of the day, the problem "corrected itself" and I though the auto lamps were just tripping out.

The last time I drove the car, I got home late and night, turned the headlights off, and they went off! Even with my foggy ass fixtures, I would have seen it.. Sometime after I walked away from the car, the headlights turned themselves on and must have stayed on all night and ran my battery down! It was so dead, you couldn't even get the starter solenoid to "click." I could tell it did a number to my new battery, so I trickled it, and installed it, and the headlights turned on immediately and I could not get them to turn off again. As I drove the car, the battery health bounced back to normal thankfully (easy to tell when you start the car as well). Anyway, I was about to pull things apart to diagnose, and found the headlights started working normal again. Whatever happened, was not related to the main headlight switch (that I know of at least) since I found nothing wrong when I tested it, and popped in a backup switch as well. This issue seems to come and go. I have to do a lot of work to the car, so I try to plan it out, so I do things specifically in the same areas I'm already working on. For example when I had the dash apart last, I laid the monster RCA cables and speaker wires for when I finally get to installing my stereo, subs, and custom amp rack that was made for my Tbird that got ganked years back.

I never touched the auto lamp sensor in my car, along with the auto lamp switch panel. Does this sound like a switch, sensor, or both to you guys? I wanted to check before I dig in, and when I did a forum search, I found threads that ended up being related to other issues.

When I got the car, most of the switches on the dash and Info Center was not working, because the previous owner had spilled a coffee in there. I cleaned all the connections, and everything was fine and working again, and these auto lamps are the only thing left on my dash that dont work properly.

The dial for auto lamps does not adjust sensitivity. It's either on or it's off. After the initial 'click' to turn it on, the dial adjusts the timer for how long they stay on after the vehicle is turned off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back