Headlights getting forced "on" with wipers?

Sincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Unsure why, but if I use the wiper spray for example, the headlights auto-on and STAY on until the car is shut off. I have the DRL set to off, but it would appear that's getting overridden with the wiper spray, etc. I sometimes idle the car in the driveway with only parking lights, and having the headlights turn on when I'm just clearing some morning frost, is extremely annoying.

Any way to disable this? Do the DRL run off their own fuse like older Ford/Lincoln models?

Don't know if this helps or not --
Sounds to me like the computer is programmed this way.

From the owners manual –
“The exterior lamps will illuminate when the ignition is ON
and the windshield wiper control is interval, LO or HI positions.”

“The instrument panel lighting will dim noticeably approximately 15 seconds
after the wipers are turned on.
The lights will remain in this state until 30 seconds after the wipers are turned off.”

Thanks for the clip. Not sure either if it's the same thing or not. The headlights stay on until the car is turned off IF they were already off (head light switch set to off and DRL set to off on panel) when the wipers were selected. Really hate when auto manufacturers assume everyone is too stupid for their own good.

Gonna see if the DRL still have their own, dedicated fuse and pulling it if it's not shared. Hopefully that'll stop it since the actual switches get 100% ignored when in that "on" state.

Members online

Back