Headlights/Ambient light sensor: Where to start

Farking Bastage

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that, in my '03 Luxury Sport, even on broad daylight, the headlamps are on all the time, the taillights are on, the LCD displays in the instrument cluster are dimmed, as well as the backlight staying on.

Is that usually a fault in the ambient light sensor on the dash? Possibly a fuse of some sort?

TLDR: My car thinks it's night time all the time.

I wasn't able to forum search and find anyone else with that problem.

thanks

I've noticed that, in my '03 Luxury Sport, even on broad daylight, the headlamps are on all the time, the taillights are on, the LCD displays in the instrument cluster are dimmed, as well as the backlight staying on.

Is that usually a fault in the ambient light sensor on the dash? Possibly a fuse of some sort?

TLDR: My car thinks it's night time all the time.

I wasn't able to forum search and find anyone else with that problem.

thanks

Sounds like something is blocking the sensor, or the light switch is on.....

They stay on even with the light switch to OFF? if thats the case then you most likely have a faulty switch. if you have it to "automatic" and there always on then most likely a faulty / dirty sensor..

If I switch it to off, they shut down. On Auto, it's on all the time, regardless of conditions.

Nothing is blocking the sensor, and I highly doubt me armor-alling the dash could have dirtied it to that point. This is, of course, assuming that the sensor if that 1/2" inch dome against the windshield at the midpoint of the dash.

e: It isn't in the mirror mount with the windshield whiper sensor is it?

If I switch it to off, they shut down. On Auto, it's on all the time, regardless of conditions.

Nothing is blocking the sensor, and I highly doubt me armor-alling the dash could have dirtied it to that point. This is, of course, assuming that the sensor if that 1/2" inch dome against the windshield at the midpoint of the dash.

e: It isn't in the mirror mount with the windshield whiper sensor is it?

Yep, it's in the dome on the dash with the PATS light. It it pretty easy to change out.

The fun problem is finding the correct part number for it. Tasca's and other sites XW4Z-19E663-AA isn't it.

In fact, RockAuto shows that part number as a reference for the Gen1 parking aid sensor.

I'm having the same issue with my lights staying on. When I first bought the car the light were off in the day and came on when it started getting dark.

I was having the same problem in my 03 and just replaced the sensor on the dash, it was part 1L2Z13A018AA from Tasca. I ran the diagnostic before replacing the sensor by jumping the the ports and according to that the sensor was bad. After putting the in the new part the auto lights still don't work correctly.

I was having the same problem in my 03 and just replaced the sensor on the dash, it was part 1L2Z13A018AA from Tasca. I ran the diagnostic before replacing the sensor by jumping the the ports and according to that the sensor was bad. After putting the in the new part the auto lights still don't work correctly.

And today they work. I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and drove it around in the daylight and the lights finally turned off. So if you need a new light sensor and you have a GenII (the only one I know for sure) the part number is 1L2Z13A018AA.

Members online

No members online now.
Back