Headlight problem

LSGee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Lincoln LS and the passenger dim headlight burn out so I went to replace it and found it broken, from water exposure I guess, the lights are foggy inside, but when I put the new bulb in it still don't work. Anybody have an idea what's wrong?

Put the bulb in without it being in the headlamp housing, rest the bulb on a good safe spot nearby, ensure either high or low beam is activated, (assuming by 'dim' you mean low beam???)

Attempt to wiggle, bend, move-around the wiring harness near the part where it begins to go into the socket, see if it comes on and goes out again. Have a look at the harness connector that leads further up where the whole harness disconnect from the wiring, attempt to remove it, get it under a light, check for that green powdered corrosion look.

Ensure bulb is good, test on other working side for comparison.

Most likely corrosion in either the bulb socket or wiring going to/from harness.

~ Your headlamps being fogged up with condensation on the inside is due to seal not holding out the outside elements, common issue, new headlights or take apart, clean and reseal. Take into house and put near dehumidifier for a day should dry it out on the inside. There is also a black little vent tube on the back of the housing (I thought), ensure it's clear and can breathe.

~ if all fails, put new coils and plugs in it!

Put the bulb in without it being in the headlight housing, rest the bulb on a good safe spot nearby, ensure either high or low beam is activated, (assuming by 'dim' you mean low beam???)

Attempt to wiggle, bend, move-around the wiring harness near the part where it begins to go into the socket, see if it comes on and goes out again. Have a look at the harness connector that leads further up where the whole harness disconnect from the wiring, attempt to remove it, get it under a light, check for that green powdered corrosion look.

Ensure bulb is good, test on other working side for comparison.

Most likely corrosion in either the bulb socket or wiring going to/from harness.

~ Your headlamps being fogged up with condensation on the inside is due to seal not holding out the outside elements, common issue, new headlights or take apart, clear and reseal. Take into house and put near dehumidifier for a day should dry it out on the inside. There is also a black little vent tube on the back of the housing (I thought), ensure it's clear and can breathe.

I pretty much did all that. I swapped the low beam from the drivers side to the passenger side still nothing.

Swap the entire harness from one side to the other side, see what that yields. (as a test)
You possibly have a corrosion issue in the wiring somewhere.

all looks well deep down the socket where the bulb goes? may have to get a meter out and start poking. looking for 12V.

.... looking for 12V.

And ground. +12VDC should be present the whole time the car is awake. The FEM will ground the other bulb connection when the low beams are on, otherwise it will be open circuit. The wiring harness at the front right of the car should be one of your suspects.

Ok, I'm on the road right now so I can't really tear into it. I'll have to check that when I get home. I was hoping it was something simple I could fix. Thanks BigRig.

I actually have a bad spare headlamp harness kicking around, on pin-out test I was able to confirm it was indeed in that harness extension. Didn't throw it out as it can be fixed. (someday, later, when I would care to do so or have a need to, until then .... still in a box)

Yes Joe! ground also! thank you!

well, I don't know what was wrong but it's working now. I guess corrosion or a loose wire maybe. Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back