Headlight intake project

R

raylisiak

First prototype. Its in testing phase, so far it only pulls cool air from outside even monitoring Intake Temperature with SCT flasher.

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0157.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0155.JPG

DSCF0151.jpg

That's very interesting! Have you noticed any big differences in performance?

GrayGhost1 said:
That's very interesting! Have you noticed any big differences in performance?

The gain is definately there. Before with my old CAI the intake air was getting up to 120 degrees at stop lights, and dropped back sown after moving again, now it stays at the outside air temperature consistently.

itsnotmydaddys said:
y not put it behind the grill

There wasnt a direct path to the airbox from anywhere else. It either from the headlight or cut the hood. The headlight route is much cheaper but not as cool looking as Quiks hood.

yeah, i cut the bottom out of my airbox, now i need to hook a tube up, any ideas of how to right now im gettign all hot air in the intake.

itsnotmydaddys said:
yeah, i cut the bottom out of my airbox, now i need to hook a tube up, any ideas of how to right now im gettign all hot air in the intake.

Home Depot or any hardware store for that matter carries 3" flexible vent hose by the furnace supplies. Run a 3" hose down through the hole under the airbox to the grill under the front bumper. I had this setup for a while and it brought intake temperature way down, but only while the car started moving.

FRANKLS said:
What was the cost of this?

Total cost was

$20 Headlight, Ebay
$5 for 2 4"x3" pipe reducers
$5 for 3"x10' of vinyl vent hose
$3 silicone to seal everything back up

$33 total

The throttle response has greatly imporved in this 95 degree heat.

cool idea.

It would never pass inspection in Texas.... ;(

What about the rain? driving on the highway at 80mph would have the rain hitting the blunt nose fairly hard.

use the foglights for the brake cooling......

Thanks Guys!! I tried the fog lamp route and the path is too long, I wanted a straight shot into the airbox where the air wouldnt heat up at all. I did save my original headlamp, so any time I have to pass inspection or take it back to the dealer, I just pop it back in. In the rain, it works great (tested it yesterday) not a single leak and the airbox didnt have any water in it at all in heavy downpour. I thought about it before and found an insert to put in there if its really bad out. Its just a vent piece. Other than that driving on the highway it doesnt have any affect on the car.

OK, I'll be the first one to say it...

It looks silly. This is a daily driver, not a GT-R at Nerbergring. The idea is interesting, so don't get me wrong, but it's just plain silly looking.... intuitive, but silly. But, it's your car and if you like it, that's all that counts. But IMHO, it looks like a potato launcher.

Think "form and function"...

mholhut said:
OK, I'll be the first one to say it...

It looks silly. This is a daily driver, not a GT-R at Nerbergring. The idea is interesting, so don't get me wrong, but it's just plain silly looking.... intuitive, but silly. But, it's your car and if you like it, that's all that counts. But IMHO, it looks like a potato launcher.

Think "form and function"...

Wow! Who made you mad today?, cant people drive around with potato launchers anymore, haha

I understand its not elegant, its the functionality I am looking for, this is used mainly just for the track on hot days.

Mike - the 'give my left eye for intake' Borg are coming for you....

head_borg.jpg

raylisiak said:
Wow! Who made you mad today?, cant people drive around with potato launchers anymore, haha

I understand its not elegant, its the functionality I am looking for, this is used mainly just for the track on hot days.

Nope, not mad at all... I'm just giving my thoughts. Now if you'd have said that it was for the track and not for everyday use in the first place, I just would've shut my trap. The track has nothing to do with how the car looks as long as it gets the job done... and this definitely does.

If you want to go nutso on this track mod, then hog out the whole bezel and leave the clear cover off... that way you'll be scooping more air into your duct work... making the whole thing work better.

See, I'm not mad ;)

Quik LS said:
Mike - the 'give my left eye for intake' Borg are coming for you....

I really don't think they will be Lou.... and Ken, you don't need to encourage him LOL

Cool idea but you may want to consider some protection, you know for high speeed highway driving. mabey some fine mesh or a grate of some type. and also mabey a way for water to drain out if it does happen to get in there.

But other than that, good work on putting your ideas to life!

shroooomy.. now i havent had any of those in a few months.. :Beer

Shroomy said:
Cool idea but you may want to consider some protection, you know for high speeed highway driving. mabey some fine mesh or a grate of some type. and also mabey a way for water to drain out if it does happen to get in there.

But other than that, good work on putting your ideas to life!

Thank you! I will touch it up some, its not the final project, just a prototype. I made it for track use, but may come in handy day to day once I get it looking normal.

that mite be a good system to use for a turbosystem on a strickly track LS. A drag LS if there is such a thing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back