Headlight housing replacement

Kstills

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97LSC with HID's. I also have a 98 parts car, also with HID's.

However, the headlight housings are slightly different. The 97 says the headlamp cannot be disconnected, while the 98 has a round push in electrical connector for the HID housing (it says HID on the housing, 12.8v).

So I'm stumped. Can I pull the bulb out of both and switch housings (the 97 is fogged badly, the 98 is clear)? And if so, how do I get the housing apart?

Thanks in advance for the info.

The housings are identical. Only the hid plugs are diff. Use the 98 housings with the 97 bulbs and call it a day!

The housings are identical. Only the hid plugs are diff. Use the 98 housings with the 97 bulbs and call it a day!

Yep, the headlight housing will fit in just fine, I'ma figuring.

Now, how do I take apart the HID bulb housing? Does that entire square assembly twist off somehow, or is there something about how the headlight housing is put together that I have to take apart?

Gently twist off plastic square. Then unscrew the 3 golden screws & slide hid bulb out. For re-assembly repeat these steps.

If the bulbs on your 97 are fine, just swap them out with the 98 housing and you're good to go. Otherwise you can either find a 98 wiring harness from a junker (the better option) or cut off the plugs from the 98 bulbs and solder/heat shrink the wires together. No wire nuts!

Be very careful with the clear plastic box when you twist it on/off. The tabs on earlier ones are very fragile and you absolutely need all the tabs intact or water will seep in. Since you've got an extra set, you can use them for spares.

Finally, if you swap bulbs, be very careful not to overtighten the little screws that hold the bulbs in the housing. Just a snug fit is fine. Oh, and avoid touching the bulb glass at all costs.

Members online

Back