Head lights staying on during the day

cpgoodman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my head lights staying on during the day. I noticed it a few months ago but can figure it out. They turn off when i physically turn then off but not automatically. Also note that my clock spring is out but that has been out for 2 years. Any ideas what it can be? If it was the clock spring i would think it would have always caused my lights to be on.

do you have anything laying on your dash that may be covering the sensor?

if not, maybe the sensor went bad?

no, nothing on the dash. im assuming the sensor is the black dot in the middle of the dash.

or the sensor is just unplugged, yes the sensor and the PATS light are in the black dot in the center next to the windshield, does the PATS light (red led) blink when the car is locked, if not, definitely sounds like a bad or unplugged sensor.

no, nothing on the dash. im assuming the sensor is the black dot in the middle of the dash.

I wouldn't call it black. It's under the smoke colored cover that the red PATS light is in.

If you leave the lights on auto, do they turn off after whatever delay you have set, once you turn the car off? If so, then it probably is a sensor issue. If not, then it is the switch or the FEM.

I actually have the same problem. My headlights are always on, even in the off position. Also I cant flash my hi-beams unless the headlight switch is physically in the on position. Fogs also only come on in the on position.

I actually have the same problem. My headlights are always on, even in the off position. Also I cant flash my hi-beams unless the headlight switch is physically in the on position. Fogs also only come on in the on position.

Sounds like something wrong with the FEM. (Of course, it might be wiring or the switch, especially if someone has messed with it.)
Flash to pass should work with the switch off.
Fog lights should not work with the switch off.

I have a blinking red light when the car is locked, the lights also shut of on the delay timer also. Nobody has been under the dash nor have i done anything else to the car before this started. My high beams still work fine as do my fogs. The only issue is they come on whenever i start the car like a chevy truck. Must be a bad sensor. I just figured somebody else would have had the same problem.

I have a blinking red light when the car is locked ...

BTW: That light also blinks when it isn't locked, or even when the doors are open. The only time that it doesn't blink is when the key is on.

There may be some confusion about what this light is. It is the warning to would be thieves that the car has PATS, which requires a chip-key and will take a little longer to steal. It is not in any way connected with the factory alarm system on the car.

I have a blinking red light when the car is locked, the lights also shut of on the delay timer also. Nobody has been under the dash nor have i done anything else to the car before this started. My high beams still work fine as do my fogs. The only issue is they come on whenever i start the car like a chevy truck. Must be a bad sensor. I just figured somebody else would have had the same problem.

I know this sounds dumb, but during start-up, if you have the auto option on the lights will come on, but shut off after 30 seconds or so.

BTW: That light also blinks when it isn't locked, or even when the doors are open. The only time that it doesn't blink is when the key is on.

There may be some confusion about what this light is. It is the warning to would be thieves that the car has PATS, which requires a chip-key and will take a little longer to steal. It is not in any way connected with the factory alarm system on the car.

mine does NOT flash when car is unlocked....im looking at it right now. :confused:

I know this sounds dumb, but during start-up, if you have the auto option on the lights will come on, but shut off after 30 seconds or so.
Weird...

When I am parked in my garage, the lights come on when I start the car, and then go off shortly after I back out into the sunlight. When I am parked outside and it is daylight, they do not come on at all when I start the car. This applies to both LSes that I have.

Thanks for the tech info. Ill see what i come up with and let everybody know. From reading that it sounds like there is an open circuit somewhere and the switch is defaulting to on. Thanks again.

WOW! I'm gonna have a look at my sensor, but not sure I understand all the troubleshooting for it... my headlights stay on during the day when in the AUTO position but yet turn off on the normal delay after the key is shut off.

Maybe I will get lucky and find that the little smoked globe is dirty or something simple.

Persisting issue...

Good afternoon. I have used LVC tremendously over the past 3 weeks. I have a 2002 Lincoln LS v8 - with all the bells and whistles with the exception of heated seats. I have made numerous repairs including ignition coil and plug repairs and coolant reservoir change, but I can NOT for the life of me figure out this last persisting issue.

I have had an issue with my dash lights, door panel lights, and shifter lights not illuminating for nearly 2 months now. The first time it occurred, the lights went out for about 90 seconds and came back on. I didn't have the issue again until about 2 days later when they went out permanently. I discussed my issue with the dealer who said that it was a bulb. He did not recommend changing the bulb because the labor cost almost 100 times the bulb cost...that brings me to today.

Yesterday I replaced my fog lamps (the entire fixture) and lo' and behold when I got into the car that night, the lights were working - for about 20 seconds! Then everything went black again.

My lights stay on constantly during the day. The auto feature does turn the lights off in the time indicated when I shut the car off. I am at my wits end because I KNOW that my working under the front end of my car possibly made them work - but I can't figure out what it could possibly be.

Any ideas????? :confused:

Good afternoon. I have used LVC tremendously over the past 3 weeks. I have a 2002 Lincoln LS v8 - with all the bells and whistles with the exception of heated seats. I have made numerous repairs including ignition coil and plug repairs and coolant reservoir change, but I can NOT for the life of me figure out this last persisting issue.

I have had an issue with my dash lights, door panel lights, and shifter lights not illuminating for nearly 2 months now. The first time it occurred, the lights went out for about 90 seconds and came back on. I didn't have the issue again until about 2 days later when they went out permanently. I discussed my issue with the dealer who said that it was a bulb. He did not recommend changing the bulb because the labor cost almost 100 times the bulb cost...that brings me to today.

Yesterday I replaced my fog lamps (the entire fixture) and lo' and behold when I got into the car that night, the lights were working - for about 20 seconds! Then everything went black again.

My lights stay on constantly during the day. The auto feature does turn the lights off in the time indicated when I shut the car off. I am at my wits end because I KNOW that my working under the front end of my car possibly made them work - but I can't figure out what it could possibly be.

Any ideas????? :confused:

Sounds to me like a bad switch.

Sounds to me like a bad switch.
Which switch? That would prevent the door lights (window controls, etc.), lights at the gear shift and the dash lights to go out too? The digital displays work on both sides of the dash (info and mileage displays). I am so confused...

Which switch? That would prevent the door lights (window controls, etc.), lights at the gear shift and the dash lights to go out too? The digital displays work on both sides of the dash (info and mileage displays). I am so confused...

Headlight switch.

AutoLamp:

The light level sensor is located at the front center of the dash. It's the part that also has the red light on when starting the car. Usually, but not always, this is the problem. The instrument cluster reads the light level signal and commands the FEM to turn the lights on and off as needed.

Dash lighting:

I assume that you have tried adjusting the dash dimmer wheel?
Does it correctly dim and brighten the lighting when the lights are working?
Does it have no affect when they aren't?

The dash dimmer control is read by the instrument cluster which then sends commands to the FEM to turn the dash lights on and off and to set brightness. Your problem could be the dimmer, the instrument cluster, the FEM, or any of the related wiring. I've attached a wiring diagram to help you trace the problem down.

instrument_lights.jpg

Headlight switch.

It can't be the headlight switch itself, since the headlights do work, but the instrument lights don't. It could be the dimmer control pot, which is a part of the headlight switch assembly.

Thanks for the diagram...

Yes, the dimmer switch is working fine. This was my first thought too. I was afraid to move the dimmer switch last night when they were working for fear of "breaking" them again so I am not sure about that time. I will check the light level sensor and use the wiring diagram to try to pinpoint the issue.

Thanks for you help! I will keep you posted on progress. :)

AutoLamp:

The light level sensor is located at the front center of the dash. It's the part that also has the red light on when starting the car. Usually, but not always, this is the problem. The instrument cluster reads the light level signal and commands the FEM to turn the lights on and off as needed.

Dash lighting:

I assume that you have tried adjusting the dash dimmer wheel?
Does it correctly dim and brighten the lighting when the lights are working?
Does it have no affect when they aren't?

The dash dimmer control is read by the instrument cluster which then sends commands to the FEM to turn the dash lights on and off and to set brightness. Your problem could be the dimmer, the instrument cluster, the FEM, or any of the related wiring. I've attached a wiring diagram to help you trace the problem down.

Clarification

My headlights and fog lights come on when the switch is in auto and they work as they always have. When I turn the switch to the ON position, I have the same thing. When I turn the switch to OFF, the lights on the radio controls go out and the digital displays get brighter.

My issues are no dash lights behind the dials (temp, teach, MPH and fuel level), no lights on either of the door panels (window controls, lock, etc). I DO get a light when I press the SET button for the driver position settings. Both of my side mirrors adjust and all of the radio controls on the steering wheel work. Cruise control too.

I have an airbag light on on the dash. Code 32 (3 flashes, 2 flashes, repeat sequence and remain lit.). I will address that module/plug under the seat, but it's been too darn hot!

I have attached pictures. I hope all of this information helps eliminate some theories so that we can get to the root cause.

IMG_20120701_162938.jpg

IMG_20120701_163011.jpg

IMG_20120701_163026.jpg

Members online

Back