head gaskets pointers and how toos please link me up

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I parked it after it started running a little rough there was initially a problem with the degas bottle and climate valve I bypassed the the hot side and closed looped the cool side to get ac (here in florida) but things were getting progressively worse running rough as missing a cyl and noticed some white fumes from back of engine ..im assuming that I developed a gap in a head gasket and that I need to replace them as well I need a link to properly do this job and advice on the average outcomes being an aluminum engine and head design has me asking if possible ….

You're much better off investigating the vapor correctly because head gasket failures are extraordinarily rare on these cars. It's MUCH more likely you have cracked plastic/hoses or improperly installed hoses

Vapor coming from the exhaust (or ashy exhaust tips) is a much stronger sign of head gasket failure than vapor in the engine bay

What was the degas issue, how long ago was that fixed, and what was done to fix it? If replaced, where did the replacement come from?

Yep, it's not a head gasket issue. The LS does not respond well to half-*** repairs. Do it right, or dump it and get a simpler car. Don't make this one suffer...

seems small amount of coolant they didn't opt for a bigger radiator im not loosing a lot of coolant slight pain replacing the degass bottle if not blead proper it will overheat and limp you home happened once taking it out for a spin after a flush ive done some things already to the car so im familure with the car not too afraid I did the secondary chains but should of done the primary... so I have to go in id just like a tutorial to follow

also need to change the torque converter and or valve pac

There's nothing wrong with the size of the radiator. The problem you do have is well understood and easily cured (for five or six years, anyway). I feel like we are just going in circles here, for no good reason.

degass bottle is new and tight it seems to be coming out the back of the block area I guess it could be the lead in for the cats but ?

degass bottle is new and tight it seems to be coming out the back of the block area I guess it could be the lead in for the cats but ?

No, you're not different from everyone else. It's leaking at the front of the engine (water outlet / thermostat area) and it's running under the intake and pouring out at the back of the engine. Anyway, it really doesn't matter exactly where. You have to replace all the plastic parts, and don't use aftermarket. Otherwise you will regret it and you will waste time and money thinking it is things that it is not.

I'm done trying to lead you to water. It's up to you to take a drink or not.

Yup. There is a goosneck that mounts between the engine block... and the back of the crossover pipe that the thermostat mounts in. There is a large o-ring that seals the goosneck and crossover pipe.

When that o-ring fails... coolant leaks out on top of the block and runs to the back of rhe engine... just as Joe said.

And as suggested... you replace all of the cooling system parts at the same time... otherwise you will be replacing over and over and over again... one piece at a time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back