Have you ever heard of anyone doing this?

pghpete22

LVC Member
Reaction score
O.K., yesterday I asked the painted rims question and was happy with the results. Let's try this. A friend of mine, who can pull out an engine, take it apart and put it back together with ease, said he could save me money on a lowering kit by heating the springs until they drop the desired inch. I voiced my skepticism, and said he had done it many times.

Should I run from this guy quickly, or has anyone ever heard of such a homemade modification?

Yeah, you can do it, it's not wise at all! Your weakening the internal structure integrity of your springs tension. Your car will ride like crap, and will be unsafe if you have to do emergency evasive manuevers.

I know your friends your buddy, but he's telling you to mess with danger.

you could cut off one full coil but you need to do the opposite of what he said and keep the spring cool. otherwise you loose spring rate and that is when you have issues. it may also be possible to have the spring move when at full extension. you also need to make sure the rubber boot fits right after.

but why go through the trouble when you can get springs for $140 shipped from tire rack?

Have you ever seen those cars (mostly imports) that are lowered and bounce all over the place?? Thats what will happen to your car if you do that. Heat makes the molecules in metal spread out, making the metal more pliable/bendable, the same goes for your springs.

You can cut your springs, but don't use a welding torch, the same thing will happen (but thats still a bad idea). Just buy some new springs if you want to lower your car, you will be MUCH happier in the end.

but why go through the trouble when you can get springs for $140 shipped from tire rack?

That's cheap :eek: but I cant find them... :( 232 + shipping for the Eibachs.. like to know where you got your price from. :cool:

The LS springs are progressive compression, heating you would not get them even and cutting would be a bad thing. You would not save any money in the long run and would be replacing springs in short order.

+1^

You could cut a dead coil off but again it will be heating the spring defeating the purpose.

And where the hell can you find any springs that cheap at all for a LS?

you could cut off one full coil but you need to do the opposite of what he said and keep the spring cool. otherwise you loose spring rate and that is when you have issues. it may also be possible to have the spring move when at full extension. you also need to make sure the rubber boot fits right after.

sorry.. $240

eibachs at tire rack

There's a set of Eibachs on ebay for $247 shipped. Search for "Lincoln LS eibach" and scroll down to the store items. You'll see one that is listed at $262 with free shipping, but if you go to the auction it is 5% off, $247 (still free shipping).

I'd post a link, but i'm too lazy to go look for it again ;)

Damn you! You just had 48 LvC'ers pulling their wallets out in anticipation! :p

Mark

dam, I was already searching Tire Rack before I even read the rest of this thread and could have saved myself some time if I had only been patient. grrrrr, April fools? Weak Sauce. Anyhow, Im going to buy them today regardless because I just feel the need to buy something for it. I love impulse buys

Anyhow, Im going to buy them today regardless because I just feel the need to buy something for it. I love impulse buys

I do that at work. I work at a Microsoft datacenter and I work off of a ticket queue. So if nothing breaks and we don't have any deployments, then I don't have anything to do; And when I don't have anything to do I start buying stuff for my car. I've spent just over $2,000 in the past two weeks (it's been a slow month), at this point it's going to start costing me money to go to work, lol.

Members online

Back