Has anyone replaced a Gen 1 Instument Cluster and reprogrammed it with Forscan?

craigh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an issue with the instrument cluster not communicating with other modules. u1262 code. I have followed the troubleshooting guide in the Factory Repair Manual and concluded that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. I can get a new cluster, but cannot download the current setup from the cluster, as it will not communicate. Has anyone been able to successfully install a new cluster and program it with Forscan? I know enough to be dangerous, but I cannot find the answer on this one.

Called the dealer today. Looks like about $800 to replace the instrument cluster there.

Anyone have any insight?

What's the current cluster doing? When I used to have my LS and I used forscan, there would be a code for SCP Data Fault in the IC section. However this was not an actual problem since I had no issues. This code appeared across all 3 of my LS's.

If you are having issues with the module not communicating, I'd start by at least looking at the connectors that go into the cluster.

What's the current cluster doing? When I used to have my LS and I used forscan, there would be a code for SCP Data Fault in the IC section. However this was not an actual problem since I had no issues. This code appeared across all 3 of my LS's.

If you are having issues with the module not communicating, I'd start by at least looking at the connectors that go into the cluster.

Using Forscan it is throwing code U1262 which is a communications error with the Instrument Cluster. Using the show manuals I have followed the diagnostic troubleshooting for the communications error to the IC and ultimately my work showed that the IC needs to be replaced.

There were three issues that came up that got me looking into this. First I have an overspeed warning over 70 MPH, second I have a backup alarm inside the car. These can be turned off with Forscan if there is communication to the IC. Third issue is that the dealer could not program a new key fob for me because of the communication error.

The cost on having the dealer change this out has me looking to do this myself. Sounds like I can't do it unless this problem is solved. And the problem is what I am trying to fix. Kind of a catch 22 on this problem.

Code U1262 is coming up. Using Forscan I cannot communicate with the IC. I want to get into it to turn off a couple functions that are stored in the IC. Dealer has also tried to program a new remote and it would not work. I did the whole troubleshooting tests from the dealer shop manual and tests showed the IC needs to be replaced. I also had the IC out and apart looking for issues with the boards and did not see anything obvious with solder joints. I did use electrical cleaner on all board and also all the connectors. No fix has been found. I am open to suggestions.

Remotes program into the DDM, not the cluster.

Members online

No members online now.
Back