Hard Start When Cold (Searched... Need clarification)

01LincolnLSV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just read a bunch of posts about this but i am unsure if this is actually the problem... I have a 2001 LS8, I'm gettin a really long cranking time when i'm tryin to start my car in the cold. its almost like its not cranking over then after like 3 or 4 cranks of the engine and me holding the key to the start position it turns over fine... it almost sounds like a car trying to start with a almost dead battery when its really cold... my car had been sittin in the parking lot from 11am till about 9:30pm so it was sittin for a while and it was about 25 degrees today where i am so i'm not sure if thats normal....

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=8540&highlight=hard+start+cold

that was the post that had the most relevance to my problem, but the only thing is i already had my PCM updated with new software, could it be the harness? how much does somethin like that cost? could i put it in myself? i just need some clarification...:confused: Thanks in advance!

--Josh

Last edited:
could it be your battery. i went through that for months. it would start fine sometimes, then it would do that, then id have to jump it. it was very off and on. i had my battery tested several times and each time was a different outcome. i finally devided on saturday to go get a new 880 cold crank amp battery. and it starts with no problem.

itsnotmydaddys said:
could it be your battery. i went through that for months. it would start fine sometimes, then it would do that, then id have to jump it. it was very off and on. i had my battery tested several times and each time was a different outcome. i finally devided on saturday to go get a new 880 cold crank amp battery. and it starts with no problem.

hmmm good point, i do have the stock battery i beilieve... maybe i should try that...

I would look to the battery as well. Their cranking amps reduce with time and use, and importantly--temperature. Your battery may be good in the summer, but its age or condition has reduced its CCA to a marginal level. Buying a battery with higher than stock CCA will only help you.

go to carquest, theyre the only place i found a battery for the ls. cosy 86 bucks. also i did notice the problem was worst in the cold. for instance it was 55 here on a friday and sat. and the car started fine (little hesitant), but then sunday it dropped to 30 or below, and i need to jump the car everytime i started it.

It sounds more like the problem I had. Lincoln had my car over a one year period and changed everything you could imagine until they stumbled across 4 leaky fuel injectors. Basically, after shut off the injectors would leak fuel into the cylinder. Once the engine becomes cold it is harder to burn the gas so it would cause a longer than normal crank time to burn out the excess gas. Once they replaced the leaky fuel injectors I never had a problem again.

Take it to the dealer and have them do a leak test on the injectors. I would almost bet that is your problem.

I am the one who started that thread you referred to. In a subsequent thread, I explained the problem and cure. My entire problem was the result of one...and only one...leaky fuel injector. It took a bit for me to rig a tool to isolate the problem, but once I did, it was obvious.

However, I never had a cranking problem. If you're experiencing a cranking problem, that's electrical and will have nothing do to with an injector.

2001LS8Sport said:
I am the one who started that thread you referred to. In a subsequent thread, I explained the problem and cure. My entire problem was the result of one...and only one...leaky fuel injector. It took a bit for me to rig a tool to isolate the problem, but once I did, it was obvious.

However, I never had a cranking problem. If you're experiencing a cranking problem, that's electrical and will have nothing do to with an injector.
Not necessarily. Mine was hard to start with the leaky injectors.

wow guys thanks for all the replies, i will take ghosts advice and check out the dealer and see what they say...

seems like the problem I'm starting to have. Going to have to take it to the dealership. :( good thing I still have some warranty left.
---Would installing an SST on my car void the warranty?(do the two things have anything in common) I'm saying no, but just want to make sure before I take it to the dealership.
-thanx

JaredLS said:
seems like the problem I'm starting to have. Going to have to take it to the dealership. :( good thing I still have some warranty left.
---Would installing an SST on my car void the warranty?(do the two things have anything in common) I'm saying no, but just want to make sure before I take it to the dealership.
-thanx
Installing the SST in your car will not void your warranty. Also, neither items have anything to do with one another. I say do the SST conversion. You'll love it.

GrayGhost1 said:
Installing the SST in your car will not void your warranty. Also, neither items have anything to do with one another. I say do the SST conversion. You'll love it.

I already have it installed, it's great. i was thinking about changing back to the way I had it just so I wouldn't have a problem with FOMCO.

On a extreme :rolleyes: sidenote Gray, you think that stuff I ordered from your site yest, (Seweryn) will get to me by the dec21?

JaredLS said:
On a extreme :rolleyes: sidenote Gray, you think that stuff I ordered from your site yest, (Seweryn) will get to me by the dec21?
Without question!

Members online

No members online now.
Back