handheld tuner?

dragantoe

LVC Member
Reaction score
I see moojohn talking a lot about this magical handheld tuner for the conti, but I can't seem to find one for myself, so was wondering if someone could link me to where I can get one... Also, what should I do with it once I get it?

The model is right there in my sig -- Superchips 1725. However, the only one on ebay is going for $240ish where I got mine $99 new in box.

The tuner walks you through programming. Basically you choose performance tune, pick a few shift points, and disable the speed limiter. It isn't the type where you can make custom choices. Suerpchips says it's 18hp/26 torque to the wheels (not at the crank).

Fixed horsepower/torque figures

Last edited:
The model is right there in my sig -- Superchips 1725.

I just reignited this internal argument this morning...to tune or not to tune? I first started out with "I want better performance" and then went to "I'm not driving a sports car" and now I'm at "I want better fuel economy and responsiveness." My concerns are like all the rest I suppose; you always hear both good and bad experiences with tunes. I've heard anything from slow shifts at low gears meant to increase fuel economy burning up trannies to burnt out spark plugs and blown head gaskets.

I'd like my Conti to last for a long time. That's the reason I bought it. How long have you had your tune MooJohn? What's your opinion of it so far?

I bought the car July 30, 2012. The tuner was installed 2-3 weeks later.

Comfortable shifts are slow shifts and that slip means heat & transmission wear. Firmer, quick shifts greatly extend the life of the clutches. Superchips never claims to have the most "potent" canned tune but in exchange you get a dead stock reliable tune that's safe in any situation. I'm not shy with the pedal at all and haven't broken anything, and I still get 25 mpg highway. The car had 80k on it when I bought it and is about to turn 92k now. I stay on top of maintenance and it gets full synthetic oil. My car has held off its share of "faster" cars including various generations of Mustang, and it's dead even with a Hemi Charger from 30-90. For a 14-year-old luxo barge, I'll take it!

A tune will not increase mpg in any way. The tuner cannot change shift points to lower than stock. It will change WOT shift points (not so much part throttle, which is a shame) and increase shift firmness which really wakes up the car. Just because it's a Lincoln doesn't mean it has to drive like an old person's car. One day I'll bite the bullet and buy something that lets me really customize everything. I hate the way it keeps the car out of 1st gear as much as possible. Lugging 2nd gear isn't the solution to everything! Without going forced induction there's no need for me to tweak air/fuel beyond what Superchips already does - there is little to gain and much to lose.

I did get my trans rebuilt in December, though the real issue was a failing torque converter that was actually dying when I got the car. I mistook it for the usual Ford "time for new trans fluid" shudder when I test drove the car so I lost that gamble. While the trans is out it's a no-brainer to get it rebuilt (most of the cost is removal/reinstall labor) and now mine should bet set for a long time.

I didn't get this car to go fast either. Nearly all of my previous cars have been much, much faster -- mostly turbo AWD import varieties. I just saw no reason to hold back one of Ford's best engines and the price of a Conti (around $7k when I got this one) made it a more compelling choice than a generic v6 commuter. People are surprised to see I've got the same nav, bluetooth, and backup camera they have on their new $50k+ car. They may get a few more mpg than I do, but I have no car payment :D

I bought the car July 30, 2012. The tuner was installed 2-3 weeks later.

Comfortable shifts are slow shifts and that slip means heat & transmission wear. Firmer, quick shifts greatly extend the life of the clutches. Superchips never claims to have the most "potent" canned tune but in exchange you get a dead stock reliable tune that's safe in any situation.
Reliability is what I'm most concerned about. I'd like to get a little extra 'oomph' in the pedal. I hate it when it creeps to second.

A tune will not increase mpg in any way. The tuner cannot change shift points to lower than stock. It will change WOT shift points (not so much part throttle, which is a shame) and increase shift firmness which really wakes up the car. Just because it's a Lincoln doesn't mean it has to drive like an old person's car.
I think the ideas that they will increase mpg comes from claims of air/fuel ratio adjustment and more efficient burn rather than shift points. Still debatable whether any of that is true though. If you haven't seen it on your tune, I probably won't either. I only drive a few miles a day to and from work with the occasional hour long drive on weekends.

I didn't get this car to go fast either. Nearly all of my previous cars have been much, much faster -- mostly turbo AWD import varieties. I just saw no reason to hold back one of Ford's best engines and the price of a Conti (around $7k when I got this one) made it a more compelling choice than a generic v6 commuter. People are surprised to see I've got the same nav, bluetooth, and backup camera they have on their new $50k+ car. They may get a few more mpg than I do, but I have no car payment :D
I've struggled with the idea of a Conti being a sleeper. It's not a marauder by any means, but I'd definitely like to keep my lead whenever some ballsy teen wants to pass me in a turning lane. A Canadian friend of mine drives an AWD Subaru and is quite happy with it. The only thing that prevents me from hunting a sporty foreign job is that I don't want to be slapped with that classic 'ricer' title. That, and I don't think of Subaru when I hear 'longevity.'

I've been looking at getting a programmer/tuner for mine as well. I heard SCT is a real good one to get. They cost around $390 or so. I think all of us are wanting to make the trans shift more precise than anything.

Those are my thoughts so far.

I don't know why it can't be just a big a sleeper as a Marauder. We've got the same engine, same "axle" ratio, and less drivetrain loss. Of course we don't have the traction that RWD cars enjoy but frumaroll it's our race. Too bad none of the blower setups out there will fit our intake arrangement - I'd be just crazy enough to try it later on!

FWIW, there are plenty of Subarus with 300-500k+ miles. It can't be rice if it's built in Illinois :D All cars have their quirks, and while I liked mine, my next boosted car will be wearing a Mercedes badge. An E55 is the perfect platform for tasteful mods that have real results, and there's always the wagon variety for the ultimate sleeper.

My previous "unassuming" Subaru:
side2.jpg

400+ whp lurking under the skin:
fmic.jpg

My car before that - 01 Grand Marquis LSE purchased in 02 @ 16k miles

front%20corner.jpg

I don't know why it can't be just a big a sleeper as a Marauder. We've got the same engine, same "axle" ratio, and less drivetrain loss. Of course we don't have the traction that RWD cars enjoy but frumaroll it's our race. Too bad none of the blower setups out there will fit our intake arrangement - I'd be just crazy enough to try it later on!

FWIW, there are plenty of Subarus with 300-500k+ miles. It can't be rice if it's built in Illinois :D All cars have their quirks, and while I liked mine, my next boosted car will be wearing a Mercedes badge. An E55 is the perfect platform for tasteful mods that have real results, and there's always the wagon variety for the ultimate sleeper.

That's one of the things that discouraged me about tuning it up. There seems to be a lack of performance parts for the ol' Continentals; probably because there are so many other cars that are better suited for it. I suppose I'm forgetting why I bought it though...for it's comfort, reliability, and uniqueness. I've only seen maybe two other Continentals around town in the year I've owned this one. It's mostly mustangs and chargers here, which are too generic in my book.

I saw someone driving a really nice Mercedes a few months back. Made me do some searching for one, but they're always out of my price range sadly.

Oh wow thanks for the input! I made this thread then actually went to Illinois the next day... I wish continentals got the attention that the Mark VIII's got, because these cars seem to have so much untapped potential...

what kind of 0-60 times and quarter mile times do you guys get? My obd sensor is telling me 6.9 seconds for the 0 60, and there are no flat enough areas around here to test quarter

I've been pretty lax at getting this car to the track, which is a real shame since every car I've owned has hit the track at some point. The 1/8th mile track is closer (Grand Marquis pulled off a 9.9 @ 74) but of course I prefer 1/4 -- my heavy Dodge Ram 4x4 ran 15.9@87. Then again, my twin turbo Stealth was faster than that at the 1/8th mile mark :D

There's a Southern Super Heavy Shootout every November at Atlanta Dragway. Cars must weigh at least 4000 lbs with driver to compete, and luckily I weigh 300 so my car should squeek under the bar :D I missed it last year but think it'd be fun to try this year with the car in good shape. FWD is a tough obstacle to overcome even against another stock-ish car but it'll be fun to see what it can do anyway. I'd be thrilled to get into the 14.90s and trap 98-99 mph (just a tad over stock) but I don't think it's possible without going to much nicer tires than I'm running. All-seasons on an open-diff FWD just aren't going to hold it together when the light turns green.

That's actually impressive for a huge truck lol... Im personally shooting for 1/4 mile at 104 mph, which is the fastest I see people getting it without major upgrades... But, I need to find a place to do it, because, even if there were a flat enough area, cops probably wouldn't take a liking to me going 100 mph...

You'll have to uncork the exhaust to trap past 100. It's the major restriction on the engine - the factory went for quiet over performance. In fact, it's downright amazing they can keep a v8 dead silent at WOT. I'd like to find a happy medium - the Flowmaster sound is silly on a Lincoln, but even my project Lexus SC400 has a nice burble at idle.

You'll have to uncork the exhaust to trap past 100. It's the major restriction on the engine - the factory went for quiet over performance. In fact, it's downright amazing they can keep a v8 dead silent at WOT. I'd like to find a happy medium - the Flowmaster sound is silly on a Lincoln, but even my project Lexus SC400 has a nice burble at idle.
A massive silencer box plus 2.25" pipes from the manifold all the way back to the split where it goes to 2"...and then slap some quiet-flow mufflers on the back; that's how you silence a v8. I'd like to get 2.5" pipes all the way through so I can fully utilize my horses.

yeah this summer I'm redoing a lot of exhaust, I'm going to take off the front cat, replace the piping with 2.25 inch, and put a couple walker quietflows on the thing (still debating whether to go quiet or just plain magnaflows)... I want to do the silencer box mod, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow... Also, where can I get a new MAF for this? I see people saying that it's helpful to replace them and is cheap...

I don't mind a little noise, but it really frustrates me to see such an awesome motor go to waste...

The guts of our MAF are no different than other cars with this engine - why change it? Unless you go with a blower it's more than adequate.

I don't mind noise at WOT but I won't risk ruining the car with highway drone. It would take away the one thing this car was made for!

The guts of our MAF are no different than other cars with this engine - why change it? Unless you go with a blower it's more than adequate.

I don't mind noise at WOT but I won't risk ruining the car with highway drone. It would take away the one thing this car was made for!

Yeah that's a good point, I'll probably just go with the quietflows then because I love how relaxing it is on the highway, although I always put the windows down...

Members online

No members online now.
Back