Gurgling Noise from the Dash

JoshMcMadMac

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
After I turn off the car, sometimes I can hear a light gurgling coming from somewhere in front of the driver seat. It sounds sort of like an ultrasound. Any idea what it is?

Check you antifreeze first thing in the am when it is cold, its low.

Check you antifreeze first thing in the am when it is cold, its low.

Huh, I like that it is a simple answer. Am I cool to just top-off, or is it going to get air pockets and get temperamental? I plan on flushing the coolant sometime in the not-to-distant future anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does it too. My buddy has a low mile 06 that does the same thing.

My 04 has made some strange noises from the dash for a looooong time now and I can't seem to place them exactly. If I had to guess I would say it sounds like the climate control system opening and closing gates inside the dash. Not so much a gurgling sound like the OP but more of a mechanical sound. It is most noticeable when the car is turned to ON but not started. Sometimes the sound persists when the car is started. Switching the climate control to OFF usually silences the annoyance.

My 06 gurgles like that too when I shut the car off. I read many times that the coolant is low. 75K it's time for a coolant flush for me anyway!

The little motors that control the air doors for the AC system move around for several minutes after you turn the key off. I suppose that the sounds that they make could be called gurgling.

My 05 does it too. I think it's the coolant bottle venting. Unscrew the cap and the gurgling stops. Coolant level is spot on.

Both my '06s do that; engine hot or cold. It is a weird gurgling sound. I hear it with the key in the "ON" or "ACC" position. The CC should not be engaged with the key in the "ACC" position. I never took either car in as it doesn't seem to affect anything.

does your coolant bubble in the res. usually if the gurgling comes from the bottle its a headgasket issue...least thats on other cars never heard that problem with a lincoln ls.

does your coolant bubble in the res. usually if the gurgling comes from the bottle its a headgasket issue...least thats on other cars never heard that problem with a lincoln ls.

That's the sound, but it will do it even if the engine hasn't been run for hours, or overnight.

Both my '06s do that; engine hot or cold. It is a weird gurgling sound. I hear it with the key in the "ON" or "ACC" position. The CC should not be engaged with the key in the "ACC" position. I never took either car in as it doesn't seem to affect anything.

The Climate Control is powered even with the key off, and it will move the vent doors after shutdown and sometimes at other unexpected times. (Of course, I have no idea if that is the sound you are hearing.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back