Grounding in and around fuel tank.

Waiting on the Carter , not Delphi , not Airtex , Spectra is unobtainable ( and now a part of the same group that owns Carter ).
Do NOT , I repeat DO NOT use the Delphi assy. Do NOT use anything that looks like it either. The "devil" is in the details. There are subtle changes that will make your life miserable if you don't know what to look for. The port sizes and molded boss on the sides of the top ( there's 3 ) one of which Delphi has moved the location about .500 so the screw boss ( bulge ) on the side of the module will NOT drop into one of the windows in the tank socket ( 3 windows for those bosses ) the pump sits in.
The port sizing is : Delphi 9.49mm and 7.89mm ( large / small tube sizes )
The port sizing is : Carter 10.1mm and 8.3mm.
The difference is enough in that you will be able to force the nipples in ( tapping with small hammer etc ) but you will NEVER get the "shark bite" style retention device to release their grip enough by squeezing the tabs. The fit is just too tight. The Carter ( and the Spectra? ) do in fact have the right sizes. So if your Delphi ever failed and you have the car long enough and attempt to replace it , you will inevitably be faced with the same thing I'm faced with.
Just for the record Carter is a Great brand fuel pump assembly

OK , Here's the conclusion, or end of this "fiasco / debacle". The Carter pump is also a piece of crap , they all are. The ports were also too small and the fittings STILL had to be forced in to the ports....they are too small. The filter bag kept falling off into the tank , the retention methods are awful. It is running and no leaks , but in the end...... when and if it has to be replaced , I'll likely face the same thing again. If the pump lasts as long as the original , I'll be dead before I have to replace it...lol. This all being said , replacing the motor in the original module is the ONLY way to go. Learn from my miserable experience and rebuild the original. The aftermarkets are all junk.

Just for the record Carter is a Great brand fuel pump assembly
Well except for the filter bag falling off during install and the too small ports , we'll see how it performs. BTW , Carter HAD a good pump up until 4 yrs ago.....I talked with Bob in tech. That pump is no longer available and it looks like it would have worked well. The new pump looks like a Spectra pump . Bob told me the ports sizes on the Carter were the size I needed , according to "prints"....but the actual Carter web site lists a smaller size , like the Delphi ...... the dimensions Bob gave me were apparently on the pumps Carter used to make. He was "corrected" by yours truly......what a f'n mess.

OK , Here's the conclusion, or end of this "fiasco / debacle". The Carter pump is also a piece of crap , they all are. The ports were also too small and the fittings STILL had to be forced in to the ports....they are too small. The filter bag kept falling off into the tank , the retention methods are awful. It is running and no leaks , but in the end...... when and if it has to be replaced , I'll likely face the same thing again. If the pump lasts as long as the original , I'll be dead before I have to replace it...lol. This all being said , replacing the motor in the original module is the ONLY way to go. Learn from my miserable experience and rebuild the original. The aftermarkets are all junk.
I can't believe that four years have made that big of a difference with these fuel pump assembly modules ...I had my own problems awhile back but never with the aftermarket pumps it was the original connectors that were my problem

I can't believe that four years have made that big of a difference with these fuel pump assembly modules ...I had my own problems awhile back but never with the aftermarket pumps it was the original connectors that were my problem
Same here, i got a Spectra a year ago, worked great, still does, mines a gen 2 though.

it’s way cheaper to swap the pump motor

all you need to do is make sure it has the ford style connector

0A78BCF6-964F-422B-8E58-CD6C048207B2.jpeg

"it was the original connectors that were my problem".......so you're confirming my point by implying you had the same problem? Then it sounds like you're also supporting my suggestion that all the pumps are too small and don't accept the fittings like an OEM module does. Then you must have beat them in like I did.....I can take these fittings and easily push them in , squeeze the tabs and pull them back out , in the original module. The problem isn't the fittings , its the FACT that designers in the aftermarket , for some reason ( and no tech has the answer ) have made the 10.2mm large port a 9.5mm port and the small port has the same situation......I just can't recall the difference at this moment. Carter even calls it out on the web site. Notice the 9.5mm call out: Fuel Pump Module Assembly

Now , look at the same part number from Summits web site and look closely at the picture to compare to what Carter sells now.....the pump Carter USED to sell is whats pictured on Summits web site...that pump probably had the correct size ports and is the reason the tech at Carter told me the Carter pump had the right size ports ( his drawings from engineering ) and those dimensions in fact DO NOT correspond with the new pump version ( on Carters web site ).

Last edited:
He is saying he had trouble getting them off the original pump, i did as well. They went on and off the new pump easy for me, but my car is second generation, not sure what gen he's working with.

He is saying he had trouble getting them off the original pump, i did as well. They went on and off the new pump easy for me, but my car is second generation, not sure what gen he's working with.
Not sure how the 2nd gens are , but yeah the fittings need some encouragement to release their grip from the OEM ,at least after 20 yrs anyway.....but THAT is nothing compared to what you'll encounter on aftermarket stuff.....and if you force them in , you will NEVER get them out.

Then it sounds like you're also supporting my suggestion that all the pumps are too small and don't accept the fittings like an OEM module does. Then you must have beat them in like I did.....I can take
Original connections on Motorcraft fuel pump assembly broke coming out of the top of the module ...I'm saying the whole design that Lincoln/jaguar created was crap

Yep......so what did you end up doing about the connectors?
I went to a salvage yard and grabbed different connectors off a different LS then I did the same thing you did and fixed new fuel line with the OEM connectors that I was able to get off the salvaged LS with the special tool I bought a Spectra Aftermarket fuel pump assembly module because for the price of the pump I could buy the entire assembly ...I reconnected the connectors and problem as solved

Trust me I had quite the go around with that fuel pump assembly...my current 2002 LSE V8 hasn't had any problems with the pump but the car only has 128k on it

Yeah , a PITA for sure...did you clamp this , like I did? The concern I'll have is most likely going through the same thing again if I keep the car long enough....because I know the connectors I had to beat in aren't going to release their grip. Worst case scenario , I have some more donor connectors to crimp on if I need to.....I hope this Carter ( or whomever makes it , since they bought Spectra and Airtex ) goes 190k plus like the OEM did . If I could have found an aftermarket pump with ports the same size as the original , like I said before.......this post would have never happened. Good luck with finding one....

Members online

No members online now.
Back