Grounding in and around fuel tank.

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
On my LS the fuel pump had a filter in line with a ground. The factory grounded the metal filter body with a ground from the pump wires...the simple ring terminal was clamped to the filter body. The replacement Delphi pump has no filter but I'm replacing the plastic elbow ( long story ) going into pump with a nipple that I'm making out of aluminum nickle bronze.....does this require more grounding?

What year? My 2003 didn't have any filters by the pump that i remember, except the sock filters in the tank. The real filter is behind the front wheel well cover on the driver's side.

The plastic mesh filter strainer (sock) may not have come with the new pump... and may have to be ordered separately.
Sounds like he might be talking about an additional external filter in the lines outside the tank but I'm not sure.

Joe,

Been thinking about your situation a bit. Dorman makes plastic fuel line that is most likely carried by the majority of auto parts stores. There are also plastic barbed fittings for that fuel line

A quick Youtube search found the below video. While the guy in the video is working with a metal fitting... and shows how to clean it up... since you would be dealing with all plastic you wouldn't want to put any parts on a wire wheel cause they would melt.

The key point is the clamps (and pliers) he uses to crimp everything together.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

While I don't think there would be any issue with grounding on the metal parts you are using... it would still be best to use all plastic.

Fuel lines are way easier to repair than connectors that have high pressure...resulting in leaks ...I'm not going to sugar coat it ...these fuel connectors aren't going to be an easy fix ...I hope you report back and show us your remedy IF you can fix this without any leaks ....Good Luck!

This is EXACTLY what the assy looked like as I removed it. I'm surprised no one was aware of this...and this pic is from this very web site. Fabricating the unions wont be a problem. The biggest concern I'll have is whether the new "metal" nipples will be retained in the female sockets designed to grab "plastic". If they DONT , I'll order the proper plastic bar stock and make my own straight nipples to connect F.I. hose barb to the barb FROM THE PUMP to the nylon tubes. A fab'd ( or store bought ) at the pump and same at the cut off nylon tubes. I'm also a die hard drag racer and muscle car guy......as a machinist fabb'ing this stuff is no big deal.
pump-jpg.jpg

This is EXACTLY what the assy looked like as I removed it. I'm surprised no one was aware of this...and this pic is from this very web site. Fabricating the unions wont be a problem. The biggest concern I'll have is whether the new "metal" nipples will be retained in the female sockets designed to grab "plastic". If they DONT , I'll order the proper plastic bar stock and make my own straight nipples to connect F.I. hose barb to the barb FROM THE PUMP to the nylon tubes. A fab'd ( or store bought ) at the pump and same at the cut off nylon tubes. I'm also a die hard drag racer and muscle car guy......as a machinist fabb'ing this stuff is no big deal. View attachment 828576812

This was also ordered , sort of as a "prototype". In the event the metal doesn't grab the retention device in the socket. I'll place the nipple in a collet and machine off the mid flange to get the length I need....roughly 1.100 long. The i.d. will match the OEM nipple i.d....in this case each nipple OEM is .187 and .250. Thats on larger hose and one small. Thats what Lincoln , did so in the interest of keeping everything as designed....I'll duplicate that. If these black manufactured nipples don't work , again , as I said.... I'll make my own from bar plastic designed for fuels. BTW the smooth nipple WILL be the correct O.D. for the ports. This black nipple is roughly .312 and the other is .375 , so plus or minus .001-.002. they should seal and not pull out. I'm probably the only guy who's ever done this........stay tuned.....lol.
httpsi.ebayimg.comimagesg73waaoswjtdartkes-l500.jpg

Right on, that explains it, possibly yours has filter there instead of behind the wheel well, mines 2003, second generation. I'm not very familiar with first gen, sorry

Right on, that explains it, possibly yours has filter there instead of behind the wheel well, mines 2003, second generation. I'm not very familiar with first gen, sorry
His still has the filter behind the front wheel too.

Note that many (all?) 1st gen replacement pump assemblies do not have that filter. It is not needed. I think they thought they needed it to protect the jet pump, then later realized that they didn't need it.

I don't know about the other manufacturers , but if you ever replace with a Delphi FG1340 you will have the same smaller holes making pushing in the plastic nipples in difficult. And if you forget to install the gasket like I did AND ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE PUMP , you'll find out. In hindsight , just replacing the motor would have been the least grief....but how could I have known about this when I bought the pump? If the pump dimensions were the same as OEM I could have removed the nipples as easily as the OEM was......hey Delphi , FU.
Cutting the gasket and "super gluing it" might have also worked.......but what the hell somebody had to go through this , I drew the lucky number. LOL

Scroll down to reviews with pic ( Hunter ) and notice the pics....same problem. The pump advertised here is ( at least in the photo ) exactly like the Delphi ( more money ) so , I dont know who's making these pumps and how they're marketed , but at least in this case , it seems like they're relabeled?

Amazon product ASIN B07QRY4HGD

Waiting on the Carter , not Delphi , not Airtex , Spectra is unobtainable ( and now a part of the same group that owns Carter ).
Do NOT , I repeat DO NOT use the Delphi assy. Do NOT use anything that looks like it either. The "devil" is in the details. There are subtle changes that will make your life miserable if you don't know what to look for. The port sizes and molded boss on the sides of the top ( there's 3 ) one of which Delphi has moved the location about .500 so the screw boss ( bulge ) on the side of the module will NOT drop into one of the windows in the tank socket ( 3 windows for those bosses ) the pump sits in.
The port sizing is : Delphi 9.49mm and 7.89mm ( large / small tube sizes )
The port sizing is : Carter 10.1mm and 8.3mm.
The difference is enough in that you will be able to force the nipples in ( tapping with small hammer etc ) but you will NEVER get the "shark bite" style retention device to release their grip enough by squeezing the tabs. The fit is just too tight. The Carter ( and the Spectra? ) do in fact have the right sizes. So if your Delphi ever failed and you have the car long enough and attempt to replace it , you will inevitably be faced with the same thing I'm faced with.

Members online

Back