Grinding noise from transmission area - SOLVED!

twinbopilot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I had a bad grinding noise coming from what seemed to be under the shifter. The noise was heard during acceleration, and when the car was in gear. It was a metallic grinding sound, not pretty at all.

After reading a few posts on LVC, I suspected my torque converter (TC) had gone south. One thread even said the engine may be toast due to the end-place on the crank where it meets to TC!

So as I ponder pouring possibly thousands of dollars into the car, I jacked it up and had a hard look underneath. I found two loose bolts behind the transmission! The bolts had almost worked themselves completely out. They go in straight up, and they hold a metal bracket that is immediately in front of where the drive shaft connects to the transmission. There appears to be a chunk of rubber on top of the bracket, possibly a trans. support?

So after tightening the bejeezes out of those two bolts, I lowered the car and PRESTO noise completely gone!

I hope this info helps someone else. Definitely worth a try if you are experiencing similar symptoms. A non-scrupulous transmission shop could really take someone for a ride on this one.

I'm so happy I think I'll give the car an oil and filter change. :D

Yup, that would be a transmission mount. If they worked themselves loose then it might be a good idea to put some blue Loctite "242" on them. This is an anti-vibration thread locker. It can still be easily removed, just take a little oomph to pop it loose.

i have a grinding noise from the cat/middle of my car im not sure what it is but ill check it out i hope its that

can u post pics of the area where the bolts are thanks

The bolts are easy to find. Just get under your car (with jack stands of course) and look directly behind the transmission where it meets the drive shaft. There is a plate there with two bolts facing straight up. The plate should be tight against the bracket it attaches to - if there is any space between the plate and the bracket then you need to tighten those two bolts!

I had same problem of grinding noise under shifter. took it to ford they said the Trans solenoids and something else needed to be changed. About 1k job.

Members online

Back