Grille Switch and Swap

RCodePaul

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Bought a cheap Gen1 eBay grille to be a placeholder while I did the Alax mesh treatment to my Gen2 grille. Turned out it was a POS that had been thickly painted with gray. So instead of bolting it on I used paint remover to get the heavy coat of paint off the chrome top portion. Then noticed the chrome was missing in places (eye roll) so I peeled all the chrome off, sanded, primered.
When I topcoated it with DupliColor Ford Silver it actually looks pretty good. I did the bottom part, the waterfall in flat black and it looks more aggressive to me. There's no other chrome on the car, so I've held off on an LSE with the chrome waterfall.
Now on to the conversion of the Gen2. The chrome is peeling and wrinkled in a few spots so i peeled it all off. Planning to cut out the waterfall but try and retain the clips along the bottom edge with some careful cutting.

LS Grille G1 color matched sm.JPG

LS Grille Comparo sm.JPG

Oops misread your post.

Looks nice. I always thought flat black would look great on the waterfall

Cool, maybe I am just cheap but I haven't had a grille on my car for about a 2 weeks while trading/buying/selling grilles .. Cool project though

Cool, maybe I am just cheap but I haven't had a grille on my car for about a 2 weeks while trading/buying/selling grilles .. Cool project though

Soop... Got it today. :)

You should have yours tomorrow or Sat at the lastest.

I have one more purchase and I am putting the car in early for paint. Sadly, not painting the whole car this year. Oh well. LOL.

Paint Match

how well did the paint match? any chance of getting a pic in the sunlight?

This sounds wrong, but when the can was fresh, the metallic look was pretty close. By the time I discovered some incompatibility with the primer, resanded and re sprayed, it looks more silver than silver metallic, no matter how much I shake the can.
I'll shoot it for you but I wouldn't reco it. I won't use the DupliColor for the Alax mesh grille, I'm going to get a body shop to match the paint. Needs a fender fixed anyway, so while he's at it, I'll get a bit extra.

Clipless Grilles

Does the "blower incident" have anybody concerned about the CDC replica grilles with no clips along the bottom? Even if you don't do the blow dry thing, those clips might come into play at some point eh?

Oh and here's the color mismatch. Thanks for making me show my flaws...

broken cdc grille.JPG

LS Grille Paint.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Back