Great night at the track

Dutch

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to Firebird Raceway tonight in the LS. I shattered my old best of 15.8 by putting up 15.493 @ 90.96. I somehow carved a 2.298 60' time.

Weather was about perfect for racing. Maybe 75 at the start of the evening and it cooled off to about 60-65 by the end.

On my fastest run, I did a huge burnout before I ran, which I never do. You shouldn't have to do that with radial tires, but there was so much water in the water box I had to drive through a bit of it, and I wanted to dry off my tires. It made a huge difference in my 60' time. I had never run below a 2.4 before, and I cut the 2.298. Thanks, traction control computer!

Absolutely none. Bone stock. I did put in a new air filter last night, maybe that's what did it! :)

Speaking of which, that stock air box is a horrible design! The tube has a 180 degree bend in it and is of very small diameter. Has there ever been a discussion on here about modifying or replacing the stock air box? Are there gains to be had? I know LLSOC pitches a really expensive cold air intake kit. Is that any good?

That seems like a real good time for Firebird. I hate that track.

I took my truck out there a few times, not sure when I'll make it out with the LS though.

Thanks, yeah Firebird is a slow track. I'm very happy with that time though, I don't think I'll be able to do much better than that stock.

SurfjaxLS said:
Here's a link tot the airbox mod
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.ph
Dutch, you running those times with traction on, right. Have you tried it with it off? If so, what times did you run.

I have run both ways, and I can never cut a 60' time below 2.5xx with traction control off. Either I just spin, or I have to granny it to avoid spin. Firebird Raceway has poor traction and I don't think I'm terribly skilled at launching.

Yeah, Fireslick is terrible for traction. Especially when I was running my truck, no weight in the rear but a ton of torque.

Dutch said:
Went to Firebird Raceway tonight in the LS. I shattered my old best of 15.8 by putting up 15.493 @ 90.96. I somehow carved a 2.298 60' time.

Hey Dutch,

Sounds like a good time. What was your 1/8th time and speed?

Dutch, just taking your intake mod question and running with it a little.

Has anyone tried to fab up a cone filter adapter themselves? I've put together one made from abs sheet and tube solvent welded together, will it work?. What are the disadvantages of not having a velocity stack?

lsbit said:
Hey Dutch,

Sounds like a good time. What was your 1/8th time and speed?
Thanks!

Here's the whole timeslip

R/T .134 (on test and tune night, .000 is a perfect light, not .500. I did cut a nice .039 light once)
60' 2.298
330' 6.568
1/8 10.044 @ 71.04
1000' 13.001
1/4 15.493 @ 90.96

Dutch said:
Thanks!

Here's the whole timeslip

R/T .134 (on test and tune night, .000 is a perfect light, not .500. I did cut a nice .039 light once)
60' 2.298
330' 6.568
1/8 10.044 @ 71.04
1000' 13.001
1/4 15.493 @ 90.96

Thanks for sharing. You did better than I did with my SHO 5 spd. The best I could do was a 2.4 60 ft. :) I ran a 10.2 in the 1/8th with it. The FWD was really hard to control at launch. That Yamaha engine was fun though as you could run through the traps in 2nd, if you wanted. It would hit the limiter just before the line. :) I tend to compare my LS to the SHO I had as it was the first fun sedan I ever owned.

lsbit said:
Thanks for sharing. You did better than I did with my SHO 5 spd. The best I could do was a 2.4 60 ft. :) I ran a 10.2 in the 1/8th with it. The FWD was really hard to control at launch. That Yamaha engine was fun though as you could run through the traps in 2nd, if you wanted. It would hit the limiter just before the line. :) I tend to compare my LS to the SHO I had as it was the first fun sedan I ever owned.
Thanks. I definately empathize with your plight on trying to launch a FWD car. I gained alot of respect for the FWD racing crowd when I took my wife's Taurus to the track.

Dutch said:
Thanks. I definately empathize with your plight on trying to launch a FWD car. I gained alot of respect for the FWD racing crowd when I took my wife's Taurus to the track.

Hey, you should post up before you go to the track. You may get a few comments for a meet. . . Just saying. . . :Beer Congrats!

i've been to a track once, my best time was 15.1@91mph bone stock.

what's the elavation of az?

Wow that's a great time. This track is just over 1,300 feet. NHRA used to have an altitude correction factor for it, but it was dropped in '02. Is your car an early build with a 3.58 rear? MSN Autos lists a 15.1 1/4 mile time for the '00 LS, which is the fastest I've ever seen.

15.1? I might have to test MSN's specs. Haven't taken mine to the strip yet, but it feels like it would be bit slower than 15.1.

Is your car an early build with a 3.58 rear?

yes.

being my first time my times varied quite a bit (even got a 16.4) but once i got a little used to it 15.1 - 15.3 was common.

this summer i'd like to buy a CAI and the SCT flasher.

maybe 14.7?

that's a big maybe but i'd be pleased.

Dutch said:
I know LLSOC pitches a really expensive cold air intake kit. Is that any good?

I've got the 1st design LLSOC/DPG CAI, and yes it is worth it. Link to my slip is in my profile......

LuxurySport00, you are about the only other person I've seen posting anywhere who also has the 3.58 rear on an early-build '00! :Beer Great time for bone stock, what were the conditions?

this was in the summer, late afternoon.. maybe 22C (like 78F? i dunno), little wind. no burnout, no water box, no TC, stock tires. the problem up here during the summer is the humid weather, we didn't have that on the day this occured.

Members online

No members online now.
Back