grean light under speedo

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so what is the deal with the green flashing light under the speedo.

it flashes on and off when i go above 70

if I have cruise control on below 70 it stays on solid and if I have cruise control on above 70 it flashes,

is it telling me I am speeding.

can I turn this off?

this light looks like a speedo itself with a arrow pointing at about 10oclock

jokken said:
so what is the deal with the green flashing light under the speedo.

it flashes on and off when i go above 70

if I have cruise control on below 70 it stays on solid and if I have cruise control on above 70 it flashes,

is it telling me I am speeding.

can I turn this off?

this light looks like a speedo itself with a arrow pointing at about 10oclock

That's the cruise control indicator. When the cruise control is on, the light should be on an vice versa. I'm not sure why it would flash -- I've never heard of that happening. You may want to check the owner's manual and see if it says anything about this.

Never had that but the info. display on mine sometimes(rarely) well do that beep and and flash something but its way, way too quick to see what it was. Never heard of the cruise light going on and off, maybe its warning you of an cruise problem but that would be strange.

hmm, the crusie works fine. when I have cruise set for any where under 70 the light comes on solid. then if I set cruise for anything higher than 70 it flashes. it also flashes if cruise is off and I go above 70. strange. guess I should break out the manual to actually see what it says about it.

i dont have the manual in the glove box cause one time I dropped it into the oil pan during a oil change, its kinda brown and crusty and smelly now...:rolleyes:

You cruise alot at that speed(70), maybe its learned you like that speed and wants you to use the cruise.

that would make sense except it has done this since august of 2000 when I got the car. i haven't even started to use the cruise until recently...show I am getting old.

the manual says the light is on when cruise is on and off when it is off. nothing about blinking. also I checked and it is not like the cruise is stuck on all the time.

maybe it has to do with the manual trans?
i wonder if there is an updated flash for my year that I don't have?

did you buy the car new or used? maybe someone installed this?

its the overspeed indicator it flashes when you go over 70mph it should quickly tell you on the display and the green light will keep blinking cruise control on or not. mine does that as well...

overspeed???? it yells at you if you go over 70????

Can't say I've ever heard of this. I've never had a car warn me of an "overspeed" condition, unless you count that stupid Ryder rental truck that was governed to 75mph (which really aggravated some people on the turnpikes, which have a 75mph speed limit in OK--hills were a real PITA).

My '04 V8 does no such thing; neither does my '99 Explorer. I'm also fairly certain that my parents' '05 Freestyle doesn't do it, either.

I bought the car brand new, yes I though it is an overspeed indicator also, although I don't have any other indication on the display like josh does. but that confirms it. think my model was a pretty base model as far as instrumentation, etc, I don't have anything besides the standard gauges. josh do you know of any doucementation or manual on this overspeed feature?

The LS, or any other car of which I have heard, does NOT have an "overspeed" indicator. Unless someone has installed one, like a car rental agency. If the green light is a half circle with hash marks and a pointer, it is the cruise indicator. It blinking is some sort of malfunction. Maybe a loose bulb? Do you get a beeping when in reverse? If so, both of those would probably indicate the speedo was tampered with, or the battery was disconnected (or drained) for an extended period of time.

Strange, my 2004 does not blink the green cruise light. I drive occasionally where you MUST cruise at 80+ or become a hood ornament. It has never flashed when I set to 80+ or any other normal speed.

Could be older models had this to warn you about speeding? I had one car that would ring a chime whenever you left the turn signal on while cruising. I am guessing both kinds of features are for blue hairs?

Jim Henderson

my 02 flashes at me from time to time (the entire gauge cluster) is I turn on my lights in the day time and when I pulling out into traffic in the merge lane or gettin on it to get into another lane it will flash almost like a shift light .....Doesnt do it always and Im doing less than 70 (in first and auto shifts into second)

Jim Henderson said:
Strange, my 2004 does not blink the green cruise light. I drive occasionally where you MUST cruise at 80+ or become a hood ornament. It has never flashed when I set to 80+ or any other normal speed.

Could be older models had this to warn you about speeding? I had one car that would ring a chime whenever you left the turn signal on while cruising. I am guessing both kinds of features are for blue hairs?

Jim Henderson

Nope. I have an '00 and replaced our '01 with an '06. The three we own(ed) never did this. Neither do any of the other 1500+ owners of whom I am aware.

hahahah forgive me if i laugh at all you people who doubt that some cars have this sensor i can guarantee that i does have one... i will soon ask my girl to take a pic when i cruise over 70... it clearly showsOVERSPEED WARNING on the display. it simultaneously gives the famous beep and the cruise control light will flash until you go lower than 70mph... speed up again and sure enough it will do it again.... maybe its just a few LS's who knows i live in cali might be different here or i might have the smartest LS ;)

joshluvsla said:
hahahah forgive me if i laugh at all you people who doubt that some cars have this sensor i can guarantee that i does have one... i will soon ask my girl to take a pic when i cruise over 70... it clearly showsOVERSPEED WARNING on the display. it simultaneously gives the famous beep and the cruise control light will flash until you go lower than 70mph... speed up again and sure enough it will do it again.... maybe its just a few LS's who knows i live in cali might be different here or i might have the smartest LS ;)

Then someone installed it. All my LSes have seen the north side of 70, daily. I routinely set my cruise in the 80 mph range. And I live in Southern California. All 3 of my LSes, past and present, are California cars.

bought my 00 LS with 54 miles on it, I don't think anyone installed this blinking cruise control light after market. must be an option for some and not others, maybe that means it can be turned on and off, anyone with access to that type of computer info want to please take a look into it for us?

Perhaps it is a car from or intended to be sold in Europe? I have seen such devices on European autos.

However I am not sure what the differences are in the USA/Europe LS's, I'm just guessing.

jokken said:
bought my 00 LS with 54 miles on it, I don't think anyone installed this blinking cruise control light after market. must be an option for some and not others, maybe that means it can be turned on and off, anyone with access to that type of computer info want to please take a look into it for us?

How long did it sit on the lot? Was the cluster replaced? Goofy things happen when the computer thinks the speedo has been tampered with.

I have met many of the people responsible for the LS. We're talking Lincoln suits. Trust me when I say there isn't anything like a "speed warning" on any USA LS.

I too often set set the cruise control at 80 or above..never seen the green light on my '04 V8 or my 01 V6 w/manual 5 speed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back