Gotta rant about coils...again

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I went out to check my wifes car tonight (oil,coolant,etc.) and i started it up to listen to it as usual. Its a Dodge and doesnt have "drive by wire" so i am able to rev the engine while under the hood. Since it was getting dark i was able to notice one of the coils was arcing to its bolt. Figured that cant be good, called the local parts store and picked up a new coil for $37, got home and had it installed in literally 90 seconds. Fixed in about 15 min (including drive time to parts store) and for $37. While i was relieved that i was able to fix the problem so quickly it made me reflect on the LS. Recently i felt the engine have a little stumble now and then and i also was able to see a tiny oil leak on the passenger side vcg in the back by the firewall. I ordered a new vcg and thought that would fix it. In the process of replacing there was no oil in the plug wells and the coils looked fine, HOWEVER, the rear most coil now has stripped threads for the mounting bolt and three of the four coils have broken tabs for the wiring harness and are held on by a dab of silicone. After putting everything back together there is no longer an oil leak but the damn stumble is still there. Soooo, i am guessing that there is yet another coil goin bad somewhere which would make it about the 20th coil that has failed. RIDICULOUS. Why the f*ck couldnt Ford have a little easier coil setup and last a reasonable amount of time. So damn irritating. Times like this i wish the damn thing would just catch fire in the driveway and i could have the insurance write me a check and be done with it already. There, i feel better!

Yeah I hear ya! I thought gen2's weren't supposed to have as many coil issues as gen1's. Here I got my 04' last September, have had 2 failures and a bad cat due to em.

Fortunately, my mechanic threw some type of sealant on the new ones and haven't had problems since *knock on wood*. I too hope Ford burns for COP.

Apparently land rovers and jaguars have the issue too.

Make sure your airbox is seated correctly. If it is not seated exactly perfectly, it can throw off the air intake and make it misfire. Thats how I got my first misfire. Two months after that the coils went bad to due to vcg leaking. Yes mine is a gen 2.

Make sure your airbox is seated correctly. If it is not seated exactly perfectly, it can throw off the air intake and make it misfire. Thats how I got my first misfire. Two months after that the coils went bad to due to vcg leaking. Yes mine is a gen 2.

we took the air filter out of mom's LS and went to drive it to get a new filter. just the air filter being out threw everything off enough that it missed and had zero power..

these things are picky..

...Why the f*ck couldnt Ford have a little easier coil setup and last a reasonable amount of time. ...

The design intent was for the coils to last the life of the car, and the plugs to only have to be changed every 100K miles. Because of this expectation, they felt there was no need to make coil and plug access easy. Unfortunately, they failed.

It could be worse. There are some GM cars that the engine has to be partially removed to change half of the plugs.

It can be better. It is a breeze to change plugs and coils (though they don't seem to fail) on a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

we took the air filter out of mom's LS and went to drive it to get a new filter. just the air filter being out threw everything off enough that it missed and had zero power..

these things are picky..

You know that is bad for the engine and the MAF?

might as well pour water into the intake if you gonna run without a filter.

OP, try dielectric grease on the connection between your coils and spark plugs. It might help and from the f/i world that stuff has saved alot of headaches and may be a good cheap measure to prevent problems like this.

and three of the four coils have broken tabs for the wiring harness and are held on by a dab of silicone. After putting everything back together there is no longer an oil leak but the damn stumble is still there.
I have been experiencing that, too. However, I only have one broken electrical connector tab. A zip tie has been applying pressure successfully. :)

joegr said:
There are some GM cars that the engine has to be partially removed to change half of the plugs.
Like F-bodies from the 90s? Their engine bays do not look very user-friendly.

Joe is right, the COP remove and reinstall process could be a whole lot worse. They're easy to access, provided you have a good assortment of extensions and a 3/8" and 1/4" universal.

might as well pour water into the intake if you gonna run without a filter.

for 2 minutes? i understand its not good idea, but we rolled down the boulevard and into the store. 2 minutes tops.

that was like 20 thousand miles ago.
like 110k on the factory coils and everything. no problems here.

for 2 minutes? i understand its not good idea, but we rolled down the boulevard and into the store. 2 minutes tops.

that was like 20 thousand miles ago.
like 110k on the factory coils and everything. no problems here.

For a two minute drive, I would have walked. Assuming you went 60 MPH or less, that is less than two miles.

Took me 2 hrs to swap out the plugs and coils from my almost new spare engine.
If you remove the cabin filter box it makes it easy to get at the rear bolts to do the passenger side.

I have my third coil going in about 13k miles. I'm trying to find a solution for the v6, you v8 guys seem to be able to use mustang coils successfully.

Like F-bodies from the 90s? Their engine bays do not look very user-friendly.

Oh i know all about that. I had a '91 GTA and a '96 T/A. The '91 wasnt that bad but the LT1 engine, forget about it... 75% of that engine was inaccessable and tucked under the cowl.

Yep, those are the ones I was referring to. The distributors were in the back too, right?

Don't get me started on the optispark. POS

Actually if you put locktite on the rotor screws and waterproof seal the cap and harness with silicone gasketmaker it will live a long time.
Rotor won't come loose and water and dirt won't get inside.

Members online

No members online now.
Back