got nabbed for tinted windows

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i just got nabbed this morning by a dick of a NJ state trooper. I was going 60 in the middle lane of the 65MPH route 80 in Fairfeild, NJ. Trooper goes by me in the fast last, breaks and allows me to pass, changes lanes behind me and turns on his lights. I pull over and he comes up tells me he is pulling me over for tinted front windows (not the windshield the passenger and drivers windows, in NJ it is illegal to have these windows tinted) All right fine I expect tickets for tinted windows every so often usually when I'm on a local street but whatever i'm OK with it. then he starts giving me a hard time about my radar detector asks me what I use it for? like he doesn't know. radar detectors are not illegal in NJ. He was just hassling me. I asked him are radar detectors illegal? He walked away from me. He stayed in his car for 20 minutes, I think he was on his cell phone. He comes back and gives me a warning for the tint. And gives me a ticket for obstruction of view! for the radar detector hanging on my windshield. He tells me if you have any questions you can go the Fairfield court on the 23th. I said I have a question for you are radar detectors illegal? he answers I gave you a ticket for obstruction of view. I said all radar detectors mount on the windshield (i know some don't but most of them do.) he says if you have any question ask them in court. I said I have a question for you, right now, are radar detectors illegal, and he walked away again. lol

this is the cops way of enforcing a law against radar detectors that doesn't exist, they do this type of thing a lot, if a violation doesn't exist that applys to what they don't like they will find one and make it apply. I would have accepted a ticket for tinted windows and happily went on my way but this is just bogus.

show up in court, always challenge those summons because half of the time the cop is a no-show, or stands a very good chance of losing against a well prepared review. i know it's a hassle and theoretically you shouldn't have to go in the first place, but you will receive some good satisfaction from seeing it through.

I guess they are after all of us today man. i was pulled over for getting caught in a speed trap. and i wasnt even going fast i was behind someone too. but he pulled me over and gave me an ultimatum, $550 speeding ticket or tint ticket. i opted for the tint ticket and now i have to pay $50. Im glad no speeder but it is annoying.

jokken said:
i just got nabbed this morning by a dick of a NJ state trooper. I was going 60 in the middle lane of the 65MPH route 80 in Fairfeild, NJ. Trooper goes by me in the fast last, breaks and allows me to pass, changes lanes behind me and turns on his lights. I pull over and he comes up tells me he is pulling me over for tinted front windows (not the windshield the passenger and drivers windows, in NJ it is illegal to have these windows tinted) All right fine I expect tickets for tinted windows every so often usually when I'm on a local street but whatever i'm OK with it. then he starts giving me a hard time about my radar detector asks me what I use it for? like he doesn't know. radar detectors are not illegal in NJ. He was just hassling me. I asked him are radar detectors illegal? He walked away from me. He stayed in his car for 20 minutes, I think he was on his cell phone. He comes back and gives me a warning for the tint. And gives me a ticket for obstruction of view! for the radar detector hanging on my windshield. He tells me if you have any questions you can go the Fairfield court on the 23th. I said I have a question for you are radar detectors illegal? he answers I gave you a ticket for obstruction of view. I said all radar detectors mount on the windshield (i know some don't but most of them do.) he says if you have any question ask them in court. I said I have a question for you, right now, are radar detectors illegal, and he walked away again. lol

this is the cops way of enforcing a law against radar detectors that doesn't exist, they do this type of thing a lot, if a violation doesn't exist that applys to what they don't like they will find one and make it apply. I would have accepted a ticket for tinted windows and happily went on my way but this is just bogus.

I would read the law you were cited for and determine how you think it might apply. If it does not apply then I would call his department and find out if this enforcement of the obstructed windshield law is department policy. If it is not their policy, file a complaint with his supervisor, you may get the citation dismissed even before you get to court. (BTW many departments will not pick up a bad citation, and will require you to fight it in court) If it is the policy of the department, then you will just have to fight it in court. Saying all radar detectors mount on the windshield is not a defense. You will have to show that the detector does not meet the obstruction of view specified in the law cited.

GWL said:
Saying all radar detectors mount on the windshield is not a defense. QUOTE]

I agree but the fact that radar detectors are legal constitutes they are not an obstruction to view.

lol, I should have moved it over to right in front of me before I drove away...

jokken said:
GWL said:

I agree but the fact that radar detectors are legal constitutes they are not an obstruction to view.

That's not even close to correct. The fact that they are legal does NOT mean they are permitted to obstruct your view. Your logic almost makes sense but the law doesn't work that way.

Is anyone going to reply to this and say "just pay the fine and be done with it"? :p That this poor chap is just "paying the tax of having a radar detector"? :D

Same advice as the last thread, get a lawyer or at least lawyer's advice.

How dark are your windows? I also live in new jersey and i'm about to tint the car, not sure if its worth the hassle of having the front done. Friends of mine have 5% all the way around..never had a problem. Although, cops seem to like to follow my primer black mark vii with flowmasters...nothing better to do apparently.

beaups said:
jokken said:
That's not even close to correct. The fact that they are legal does NOT mean they are permitted to obstruct your view. Your logic almost makes sense but the law doesn't work that way.

Exactly.

He got a ticket for an obstructed view. The fact that it was a LEGAL radar detector that was doing the obstructing is irrelevant -- it could have easily have been some fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror.

I dont think many would disagree that the obstruction thing is a lame way to go for him, and it is...BUT you can only blame you and your tint for that one. It really kills me what people's responses are to tickets, and it tells alot about a persons character. There are a few post recently about traffic stops and nobody owns up to what they did, its always about how the cop was being a "dick" or you didnt deserve it. Like the other post about the punk on the bike that gets nabbed speeding. Seriously, does anyone think that was his first time speeding ? But his defense is it wasnt fair because nobody else got stopped or the radar might not have been on him. Are you kidding me ?? You know damn well you were speeding and deserve every cent of that ticket. And others also question why he even stopped. There is a fine line between a "model citizen" and most people just being oblivious to whats going on and not caring. Dude, if you know its illegal in NJ to have side tint, then how dumb are you to even question it or the obstruction charge??? Most likely the law will prohibit anything from being attached to the inside windshield below a certain point, if thats where you have it then its a no brainer. Like i have said before, when you do stuff like illegal tint you give cops a 24hr a day reason to stop you which can then progress to something else... an obstruction ticket. Its actually kinda scary that people dont realize the things they do are wrong and have potential for consequences. If a cop does his job its always an inconvienance and harrassment. Give me a break. Next time surprise yourself and own up to what you did and have a somewhat apologetic attitude and you'll be amazed at how different the outcome will be. Your own post explains why you got what you got. Be a man. Little kids hide stuff and believe half truths to justify their actions.

beaups said:
Thats funny. But its been building up with all the posts recently, it had to vent sometime. But seriously, am i wrong here ? Atleast when people reply that i am arrogant or an ahole i dont dispute it, cause its mostly true. But others just dont seem to accept their own actions, regardless of what it is. I have been stopped 4-5 times in my lifetime. Some cops have had immediate attitudes, but everytime i acknowledged i screwed up, i did what i did, apologized, was respectful and 4 of the 5 stops have resulted in warnings. That cant be disputed....it works. On the other hand since i have been married my wife has been stopped three times and has received three tickets, the result of acting like a bitch and like you didnt do anything wrong.

Fla02LS said:
Thats funny. But its been building up with all the posts recently, it had to vent sometime. But seriously, am i wrong here ? Atleast when people reply that i am arrogant or an ahole i dont dispute it, cause its mostly true. But others just dont seem to accept their own actions, regardless of what it is. I have been stopped 4-5 times in my lifetime. Some cops have had immediate attitudes, but everytime i acknowledged i screwed up, i did what i did, apologized, was respectful and 4 of the 5 stops have resulted in warnings. That cant be disputed....it works. On the other hand since i have been married my wife has been stopped three times and has received three tickets, the result of acting like a bitch and like you didnt do anything wrong.

I think the excuses offered by the person who got popped make for great comedy reading! :D

jokken said:
GWL said:

lol, I should have moved it over to right in front of me before I drove away...

In SC they got me for mine and it was on the dash. The cop was kinda cool cause I have Virginia Tags and they are illegal in VA.. he told me he could confiscate it and said to get the kind that mount in the grill. Only drawback is those models don't have the 360' protection. Still paid $50 but it could have been worse. Obstruction of view is really hard to fight you have the burden to show proof that the object does not meet the regulations. In my case it was any object that obstructs or has the potential to obstruct the view of the driver -- duh uh OK that is just about anything and everything. I was told the driving force behind this legislation was balloons in the car and object on the back deck, like hats and stuffed animals...our tax $$ at work!

Fla02LS said:
I dont think many would disagree that the obstruction thing is a lame way to go for him, and it is...BUT you can only blame you and your tint for that one. It really kills me what people's responses are to tickets, and it tells alot about a persons character. There are a few post recently about traffic stops and nobody owns up to what they did, its always about how the cop was being a "dick" or you didnt deserve it. Like the other post about the punk on the bike that gets nabbed speeding. Seriously, does anyone think that was his first time speeding ? But his defense is it wasnt fair because nobody else got stopped or the radar might not have been on him. Are you kidding me ?? You know damn well you were speeding and deserve every cent of that ticket. And others also question why he even stopped. There is a fine line between a "model citizen" and most people just being oblivious to whats going on and not caring. Dude, if you know its illegal in NJ to have side tint, then how dumb are you to even question it or the obstruction charge??? Most likely the law will prohibit anything from being attached to the inside windshield below a certain point, if thats where you have it then its a no brainer. Like i have said before, when you do stuff like illegal tint you give cops a 24hr a day reason to stop you which can then progress to something else... an obstruction ticket. Its actually kinda scary that people dont realize the things they do are wrong and have potential for consequences. If a cop does his job its always an inconvienance and harrassment. Give me a break. Next time surprise yourself and own up to what you did and have a somewhat apologetic attitude and you'll be amazed at how different the outcome will be. Your own post explains why you got what you got. Be a man. Little kids hide stuff and believe half truths to justify their actions.
Gotta point but umm jersey cops are :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs Trust me an umm..........

F THE POLICE

ToddG said:
I think the excuses offered by the person who got popped make for great comedy reading! :D
I just reread the entire thread again and i think the whole thing is comedic.

"then he starts giving me a hard time about my radar detector asks me what I use it for? like he doesn't know. "
Thats not giving you a hard time its called a question. Its when someone asks you something. What is your answer for having one?

"He was just hassling me. I asked him are radar detectors illegal? He walked away from me....I said I have a question for you are radar detectors illegal? he answers I gave you a ticket for obstruction of view. I said all radar detectors mount on the windshield (i know some don't but most of them do.) "
What do you think you're doing here... Dummy

"if a violation doesn't exist that applys to what they don't like they will find one and make it apply"
I dont even know what the hell you even tried to say here.

"show up in court, always challenge those summons because half of the time the cop is a no-show, or stands a very good chance of losing against a well prepared review. i know it's a hassle and theoretically you shouldn't have to go in the first place"
Shouldnt have to go ?? Hassle ?? What.....Is that a joke?

" guess they are after all of us today man. i was pulled over for getting caught in a speed trap. and i wasnt even going fast i was behind someone too. but he pulled me over and gave me an ultimatum, $550 speeding ticket or tint ticket."
Umm...i tend to think a $550 speeding ticket means you were going fast....slightly.

"i opted for the tint ticket and now i have to pay $50"
Was there really much decision making on this? You opted? Thats a great way of putting it, as if you showed him.

"I would read the law you were cited for and determine how you think it might apply. "
No offense, but I dont think it really matters how he feels it applies.

"If it does not apply then I would call his department and find out if this enforcement of the obstructed windshield law is department policy"
Soooo...you want him to call the police captian and ask if its policy for the cops to enforce a traffic law? I want to be there to hear that one.

"I agree but the fact that radar detectors are legal constitutes they are not an obstruction to view.
lol, I should have moved it over to right in front of me before I drove away..."

Thats the way to look positive.

And finally, here is your beloved state's law regarding this issue:
"It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle with any object placed or hung in or upon the vehicle, except required or permitted equipment of the vehicle, in such a manner as to obstruct or interfere with the view of the operator through the windshield, or to prevent him from having a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle."

Pay up Sucka....

NJ cops are ass. I got pulled over for improper passing in a passing zone, imagine that and got a 65 dollar failure to maintain bulbs for 1/2 of my 3rd brake light being out. I get followed constantly, police around here are :q:q:q:qheads.

LuxurySportCoupe said:
NJ cops are ass. I got pulled over for improper passing in a passing zone, imagine that and got a 65 dollar failure to maintain bulbs for 1/2 of my 3rd brake light being out. I get followed constantly, police around here are :q:q:q:qheads.
The comedy continues. Keep 'em coming. Everyone post their undeserved ticket stories.

I got pulled over by a Virginia State trooper for my tint. got off with a warning. so good outcome :) lucky to, cause he could of been a dick b/c I was getting off at the exit when he caught up to me and I pulled in to a gas station...-problem there - full tank of gas ;)

Fla02LS said:
The comedy continues. Keep 'em coming. Everyone post their undeserved ticket stories.

Did you read that? I got pulled over in lumberton for passing IN a passing zone, the cop didnt like that i passed a truck doing 30 in a 45 because i kicked it down in second and he heard my exhaust kick in. How the :q:q:q:q do i deserve a ticket for passing legally???? IF anything the truck going 30 in a 45 should have gotten a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. The cop with a huge hard on gave me another ticket at the same time for HALF of my third brake light being out, how you gonna say thats comical or i deserved it?? All the cops around here have nothing better to do but write minor infractions to make money for the townships.

For the record, i paid my BULLDICK fines and didnt come on the internet complaining about it. It would of cost me more for a lawyer, court fees, and time away from work then to pay the tickets. Yea i got 4 points...but couldnt miss work for it. In fact, i am thankful thats the only tickets i have recieved whlie in new jersey *knock on wood*...i have done so much insane :q:q:q:q i should be in jail, have a revoked liscense, or be dead by now. Count your blessings. Pay your fines and dont cry about it.

LuxurySportCoupe said:
Did you read that? I got pulled over in lumberton for passing IN a passing zone, the cop didnt like that i passed a truck doing 30 in a 45 because i kicked it down in second and he heard my exhaust kick in. How the :q:q:q:q do i deserve a ticket for passing legally???? IF anything the truck going 30 in a 45 should have gotten a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. The cop with a huge hard on gave me another ticket at the same time for HALF of my third brake light being out, how you gonna say thats comical or i deserved it?? All the cops around here have nothing better to do but write minor infractions to make money for the townships.

You're a victim! No matter, you probably deserved it anyway.

Actually, if you look at this intellectually (as I always do), there are good and bad things about this.

The bad is that the behavior (and to keep it real, lets agree that its the punk kids here that do this stuff) causes insurance rates for EVERYBODY to go up. On the good side, however, the state gets to raise a bit of revenue from the punk kids, which means they DON'T get it from me.

Threads like this really suck. The classic cops do no wrong, I'm an older person now and get pulled over less than ever, thats not proof I grew up, thats proof they pull over certain people and certain cars. A bunch of cops here lost they're jobs recently for beating the crap out of someone at an after hours party. But they had a right to be there, not him, right? It happens, bad people, bad cops, both can be blamed.

Members online

Back