Got my second dealer service in my ownership of the LS

Jim Henderson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well got my second dealer service on my LS. I have owned the 2004 V8LS since about 14,000 miles and it now has almost 40,000.

My previous service at 15,000 miles had to do with the tranny issues that seem to be common.

This service was about the common engine stumble which I think is mostly due to the ignition coils getting contaminated by leaking oil from the valve cover seals. The valve covers don't look like they were touched much so not sure what they did. Strangely there is no mention in the service record of this repair but then several items fixed are not mentioned. Fixed under warranty.

The Pinion seal and diff gasket were leakey and fixed under warranty. The Tech Tony caught this one for me and recommended to repair it.

The floppy headliner and broken seak back cover were repaired under warranty.

The fuel guage was getting stuck high and low and when low it would give me Distance to empty computer errors. I think this was fixed, will have to go thru a couple tanks to be sure. The car smells like gasoline and the tank was empty when I got it so I assume they dropped the tank. Fixed under warranty.

I had an intermittent check Advance track message over the past year but not lately. Not sure if this was serviced, no mention in record.

There is a TSB on the powersteering system where it makes noise which is a symptom of the eventual failure of the rack and pinion system. This was mentioned by the tech and covered under warranty. I did not notice the noise but then the LS is a fairly quiet car from the driver seat. I think Tony just fixed it because it is recommended and or the dealer gets paid anyway.

The car appears to run fine and from visual appearances everything is OK. I should know after a week or two but I think everything is fixed, all under warranty.

I did order a spare key since I only had one(you need tow to program more) and got the keyless entry code too since I didn't want to take the time digging into the door since I have looked everywhere else. The cost for key and code was $110.

The rental car was free of charge under the warranty service.

So far my two experiences with Super Lincoln Mercury in Covina Ca has been excellent. The LS is somewhat more troublesome than any other car I have owned but the service department is far better than most I have used.

Jim Henderson

Kind of similar to the way i feel about my service record. I had a few little odd problems here and there that i hassled them for under warranty but since my warranty expired 30k ago it's been in twice. I mean the service is excellent at my dealership but i'd still rather not have to be there and then i'd be 1500 bucks richer. It's like the ford dealership i brought my bronco to back in the day when i had it-their service sucked but on the other hand i only saw them once in 160k miles and only for 350 bucks, and in the end that leaves me much happier :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back