got my Koni shocks...... :)

shiryu0

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
finally it rides AWESOME!!!!! :D ........floaty front end - G-O-N-E!!!!!! i was gonna take pics of the whole install but i have a cold and been sick for couple days now......... cold+medicine+power tools = FUN

lolol :D

have them set 180 from the firmest setting :cool:

Photo0656Medium.jpg

I have the rears with my air ride and they are awesome. I saw somebody trying to put the fronts into the air ride struts but never saw their results. Anyways, good job.

Are these for the T-bird, what do you need to do to get them to fit on a Mark VIII, both front and rears?

Looks good. Id liek to get a set of the rears for my air ride.

rears are a straight replacement.

fronts are shock inserts: u have to cut to the top of the old shock off, take the old guts out and drill a hole at the bottom of the shock housing.......were a bolt will hold the new insert.

found this post over at sccoa.com:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90302

i got mine at shox.com , just look up a T-Bird, got my sway bar from them too......they got free shipping on Koni shocks, i had to pay taxes cause im in CA, so it came out to $609 total for all four, i think tirerack was $615 or something like that......

so if you live somewhere else its around $560 total for the 4.......

and like Battery said somebody was putting them in the air shocks i dont know what happened to that, i converted to coils a long time ago.......and the front Sensatracs are pure CRAP, rears are good......

well, today......i decided to set the shocks to their firmest setting on all 4 corners.....

me after driving it = :wrench

completely different animal, it rides pretty much like my friends Prelude with a Ground Control/Eibach coil over kit.......but with leather, and its RWD.......lol :D

you can feel EVERYTHING on the road, its awesome :cool:

some install notes:

1. if youre doing the fronts go find yourself some old T-Bird shocks at the junkyard and cut those, they look a lot more solid than the monroe shocks......i got some off of a '94-'95 T-Bird......

2. seek out the T-Bird whose lower control arms have been taken out and all you have to do is take off the 3 top nuts :p

3. heres the most important thing about getting the T-Bird shocks: you get a really nice dust cover (similar to the one that comes with the rear Koni shocks) , AND a very nice rubber bump stop, which i used on my install......now the condition of these may vary, mine were in good condition, bump stop looked new.

4. on the rear shock, were they mount on top, i could only run the bottom top bushing.....make sense?.....theres no way you can put the top-top bushing (inside trunk) , then the washer, and then put the nut on.....i had no threads left to put the nut on......so out went the top bushing........im running the stock shock mount (with the middle cut out...), maybe thats why......

5. i did have a pair of solid mounts and poly bushings, but decided against them once i saw how everything was gonna go together.......the stock mount is bigger and the Koni bushings are bigger.....

6. i bought a spring compressor from Vatozone (yeahyeah.... :rolleyes: ) and it did the job, so its up to you if you wanna do it yourself or have a shop do it for you......personally im not letting anybody touch my $600 shocks :p ,

7. if you got the lowered coil kit, the springs dont have to compressed much. you do have to be more careful if you get the front T-Bird shocks with the springs, like i did, cause theyre stock height, so you gotta compress more when taking those off.

now i gotta take some pics lol.......

and seek out these wonderful new rattles ive never heard before.........

;)

so on your rear shock, you have the lower rubber insulator in than whats on top just the washer and the nut? theres a reason why theres a top and bottom mounts with out the upper insulator it will make lots of noise. get a razor knife (watch your fingers) and cut the insulator down a little

i thought id make noise too, but its not making any, its solid.

the little rattles are coming from the doors, gonna take the panels off see whats loose behind there.

Do you have the part numbers from the Koni stuff you could post at all please? I'm in Canada and last time I ordered through Tire Rack, I got gouged big time becasue they only ship UPS.
Thanks if you could list them so I can look up here,
J.

Front - 8641-1209 Sport
Rear - 8041-1202 Sport

try shox.com, they got a thing going on for Canadian customers, the banner is in the middle of their page. they only list the 4 shocks as a set, i dont know if theyll sell them separate, f/r.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking right now to do it, but it may happen later this summer :)

What lowering kit did you use?

You show having 1.5 lowered on your car specs. Did you use lowering springs from a t-bird or the airbag replacement kits? Has anyone thought about contacting American suspension about them installing these koni's when they build your front struts. They probably have to cut and fit struts anyway, maybe they would do a customer supply thing.

i used the springs from the american air kit...........i believe american air at one point was trying to get something like that done, i dont know what happened though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back