Got a coil conversion kit but missing rear springs

bobotech

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I found a guy parting out a 94 mark and it had the complete front coil conversion kit and the rear spring perches and rear shocks but was missing the rear coils. can i just source a set of thunderbird rear coils and be done with it?

This is what i got.

IMG_20151031_171447.jpg

IMG_20151031_171447.jpg

Yes you can. I'm not sure if there will be a difference in height between the front conv and rear tbird spring, if anything it'll be small. But yes, it's a direct swap since you already have the rear plates.

That's just what the kits use, thunderbird/cougar spring sets. You can get them on Amazon/Rock Auto.

the swap springs are usually taller because the mark viii rear lower control arms do not have a spring perch.
so you may have to lift the rear of the car some with a lower perch depending on what springs you end up with.

Couple more questions, will the springs in the thunderbird have the lower rubber perch thing that my coil spring conversion kit had for my other Mark's conversion kit? That is the only thing that really concerns me.

Also on one of the struts, one of the splined press-in bolts that are on top of the strut stripped out and we had to cut it off. Can that be replaced or is there another solution for that?

Couple more questions, will the springs in the thunderbird have the lower rubber perch thing that my coil spring conversion kit had for my other Mark's conversion kit? That is the only thing that really concerns me.

Also on one of the struts, one of the splined press-in bolts that are on top of the strut stripped out and we had to cut it off. Can that be replaced or is there another solution for that?

You can use Prothane 6-1709 spring isolators on the bottom of the coils.

I'm sure you could drill out the bolt and add a equivalent nut/bolt in its place. I don't think it would have to be the same press in style, just one that's strong enough.

Well this bites. The local junkyard doesn't have a single MN12 Thunderbird or Cougar in stock at all. Much less any Marks. Poo.

Members online

Back