good winter tires??

You are not getting every advantage by spending $800+ on a set of snow tires on the LS. I spent $750 last fall on this:

IMG_7934.jpg

4 wheel drive. And it protects my LS 100% from salt damage. And protects it 100% from any $$ accident.

Mud tires suck in Winter. Plus, you have to drive that thing. Good $$ save.

Mud tires suck in Winter. Plus, you have to drive that thing. Good $$ save.

I get more attention from women driving the truck than I do the LS. Plus it's more fun up in the woods here. Can't take the LS off road. Who said I have those mud tires anymore? That was the day I drove it home.

I agree with you. Good $$ save. :cool:

And for the record, in direct reference to your statement about "mud tires suck in winter":

One wheel peel RWD luxobarge < 4 wheel drive chevy truck, even with mud tires.

I get more attention from women driving the truck than I do the LS. Plus it's more fun up in the woods here. Can't take the LS off road. Who said I have those mud tires anymore? That was the day I drove it home.

I've got a rusted out 91 Chevy 4x4 gutless wonder for my hunting and fishing but I'd hardly call it fun and any looks I get are laughs!

And for the record, in direct reference to your statement about "mud tires suck in winter":

One wheel peel RWD luxobarge < 4 wheel drive chevy truck, even with mud tires.

Oh, for acceleration or chugging through deep snow I agree wholeheartedly. It is a truck, afterall and has clearance and a few more tires pulling. But if you should need to actually need to turn or brake fuhgetaboutit.

Bit OT though, the fella was looking for tire advice on cars

i agree about it being a gutless wonder. But it ain't about torque when going through snow. I suppose if you don.t know how to drive in the winter months anything would be difficult to maneuver. I was simply saying if you are going to drop 900 on a set of tires, may as well get a winter beater instead and save the ls for the non winter months.

Old school mud trucks rule. And it is fun shat tearin' through the shat at the same time.

Full throttle FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock that truck appearantly they don't understand.

i agree about it being a gutless wonder. But it ain't about torque when going through snow. I suppose if you don.t know how to drive in the winter months anything would be difficult to maneuver. I was simply saying if you are going to drop 900 on a set of tires, may as well get a winter beater instead and save the ls for the non winter months.

The power reference was only to my truck and not power needs to go through snow, I guess you missed that. I'm confident enough to drive my LS year round, I just like buying the best as our Winters can be pretty brutal and the tires you mentioned were only $250 cheaper up here. Not worth it IMO to be that cheap. Over the 4 years I expect to drive these tires, what is that - like $60/ year extra! And that is being conservative, my last set of studded Nokians lasted 4 years and still had half their tread left (mind you it was a lighter car).

Besides, as much as I love my car, they depreciate faster than most so a little extra wear and tear from driving in the Winter is not going to hurt resale that much in the scheme of things.

Resale has never been a worry for me. Every car I've owned, I've driven it into the ground.

So I decided to do a little more research. Looks like an EXCELLENT snow tire would be the Michelin X-Ice Xi2. In reports I've read,these outrank the winterforce and the nokian. On tirerack for 143 per. This would be for the stock 17's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=255TR7XI2XL&tab=Sizes

I got Michelin Xi2s. Had them on my previous ride and they handle midwest winters really well (was visiting friends).
Less wobbly than Blizzaks, as good or better than Nokians. Only thing I would take over it are chains or studded Winterforces.
Oh and no tire condoms please :p

the research I saw said teh same thing. It was either on par or better than the nokians. And cheaper too.

I've had a set of X-ice as well and really liked them. Michelin makes great tires and this is no exception. The updated version is supposed to be even better than the first generation. The only problem I had with them is the wore too fast and were not as good on ice as the Nokians IMO. I've also tried Blizzacks which were the first on the scene and I've had multiple sets of them as well. Excellent tires but only full Winter until 45% tread left (don't know if this has changed).

I was wondering about the wear of the michelins, as none of the reports mentioned wear ratings.

Good deal or what?....not really asking

sorry to revive an old thread, but i just picked up a set of Bridgestone LM22 Blizzacks 235 50 17 for $200

they're used but look almost new(95% thread according to the seller lol), and you can even still see the chalk lines from when they were brand new :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back