good winter tires??

d_kelly_34

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had my LS for 5 years now and I've been back in the Wisconsin area the last year winters and I can not find a good winter tire for this snow!! If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. Thanks

I use Winterforce. They are a good tire for a good price. Don't even mess with blizzaks.

LSD would help too right

I use Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, works perfect in Canadian snow. But they don't come in OEM size - 235/45R17 is the closest unfortunately.

What do they go for a set on the stock 17's? The winterforces were around 450.

Yes, around $200 each tire. But Pete I only have the snow tires in my rears. I have Bridgestone Sentry in the front which were also around $200.

What size winterforce are you running? I went onto tirerack and they did not have them for the 17's for a 2000 ls.

i have good year eagle ultra grips, they were pretty pricey but they work great. they as well are not offered in oem size or they weren't available at the time i don't really remember so i went a little larger on the side wall at 235/55/r17 and had no problem handling like they say you will.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Ultra+Grip+GW3

1327.jpg

I have winterforce's as well. My set is 225/55/17's. They are slightly larger then OEM size (1.8%). For winter tires it is suggested to go narrower. The smaller surface area will cut through snow easier allowing for better grip.

I agree with Pektel, blizzacks are great tires but you are really paying a markup for the name. Go on tirerack and read reviews about Winterforce's. They hold up just as well and are about half the price. If you want siped winter tires I'd highly suggest them.

IIRC they were only $87 a tire for me

Here is a calculator if you need to size anything out:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Have them, love them. Screw price, I want every advantage I can get in the Winter. A couple extra hundred $$ to prevent a couple $$ accident is worth it to me.

20998.jpg

i have heard good reviews on "general" tires lately so i will be trying these this winter: General AltiMAX Arctic
mainly because they are $82 a tire :D

I use my all season tires.No snow here :D....Unless you go to the mountains.

that doesn't count alex lol, this convo. is for people who have to deal with snow lol

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Have them, love them. Screw price, I want every advantage I can get in the Winter. A couple extra hundred $$ to prevent a couple $$ accident is worth it to me.

You are not getting every advantage by spending $800+ on a set of snow tires on the LS. I spent $750 last fall on this:

IMG_7934.jpg

4 wheel drive. And it protects my LS 100% from salt damage. And protects it 100% from any $$ accident.

i agree pete, i got a ranger cause it was cheaper than a set of snow tires. ($300)

I have the Nokian's as well (16", so had to buy new rims as mine were 17s). They're great winter tires, even with the rwd.

Here in Winnipeg, Canada we have iced roads from November through to March, so they're worth the cost. Work as well at -30F as they do at 30F. Definitely best deal short of buying a Ranger. LOL

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Members online

No members online now.
Back