Good read on the 5R55 tranny harsh shifting.

WS6HUMMER

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just installed a tranny (used but recently rebuilt & tested) in my wife's 03 LS8 & while it shifts a little better than the old one it still slams into reverse even after replacing the solenoid body. Think I might try this next, I cant afford a new one but I would like to find out what the new superseded part number is & try one.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/view.ashx?article=e747f286-bc6d-4c53-977a-98d9306b794b

The step that they missed or skipped was to replace all the coils or to at least stress test and replace the faulty ones. Noise from the coils could have been confusing the PCM. The new one may be more immune to noise.
It's also possible that it was all a PCM problem, but you have to consider the odds knowing that coil issues are common on this car.

The step that they missed or skipped was to replace all the coils or to at least stress test and replace the faulty ones. Noise from the coils could have been confusing the PCM. The new one may be more immune to noise.
It's also possible that it was all a PCM problem, but you have to consider the odds knowing that coil issues are common on this car.

Ive been through a few sets of coils, but never knew the coils interfered with the trans. I have had the ETC fails safe issue before but currently its not, just the harsh reverse.

Ive been through a few sets of coils, but never knew the coils interfered with the trans. I have had the ETC fails safe issue before but currently its not, just the harsh reverse.

They can cause almost anything, but if you aren't feeling any misfire, then it's probably not your problem. The car in the article was having misfire (flashing check engine light), so I would have cleared that up first.

They can cause almost anything, but if you aren't feeling any misfire, then it's probably not your problem. The car in the article was having misfire (flashing check engine light), so I would have cleared that up first.

Thanks for explaining.

Then guys first issue is the '03s had a 5R55S transmission, not the mentioned 5R55N.

The car in question was a 2003
Lincoln LS equipped with a 3.0L engine,
and a 5R55N transmission.....

Then guys first issue is the '03s had a 5R55S transmission, not the mentioned 5R55N.

Yeah I caught that too, I noticed that it was a V6, thought that may be the reason but our interchange software at the salvage yard I work at says it too should be an "S".

The picture in the article also looks like a 04/05 LSE.

Yeah, I see that but the article says 2003. I have a friend at a local trans shop that told me about the article, he actually drove my car to try and diagnose the problem & he kept correcting me calling mine a W or N every time I would refer to is as an S, maybe its some kind of misconception that tranny guys have.:D

Anyway, we called the dealer with my vin# & they did infact supersede the current part# for the PCM in these cars so there must have been a good reason I'm hoping. It was 442.00 through our shop so I ordered one and am keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let yall know what happens.

I had the same problems with my transmission on my 2000 V8. It use to slam in reverse and slips from first to second and always throws an "E" for check transmission. I replaced the solenoid body with a rebuilt one. It totally fixed my reverse but every now and then, it still slips between first and second without throwing a transmission fault. I might have to go with a brand new solenoid body.

I had the same problems with my transmission on my 2000 V8. It use to slam in reverse and slips from first to second and always throws an "E" for check transmission. I replaced the solenoid body with a rebuilt one. It totally fixed my reverse but every now and then, it still slips between first and second without throwing a transmission fault. I might have to go with a brand new solenoid body.

I got the rebuilt one from 800700 but it made no difference, mine never slipped but reverse was super harsh & 4th was a little firm. I'm asking about this on another forum & someone mentioned resetting some kam while the solenoid body is out. If the new PCM dosent do the trick, I'll give that a try.

I did some research and found this is a possible fix for our problems.

valve body.jpg

valve body.jpg

I think in most cases the solenoid is the true fix and not the pcm.

OK guys, results are in! I installed a "new" PCM from ford, it wouldn't start so I took it to the stealership,they flashed it (relinked the ICM). Now I am happy to say that my wife's car shifts & engages all gears perfect! I hope this info can help some of you.

Glad to hear that it worked for you!

I'm curious as to what the dealership charged to re-link it?

Glad to hear that it worked for you!

I'm curious as to what the dealership charged to re-link it?

It's usually an hour's labour.

$95.00

If anyone decides to do this make sure you go with one from the dealer & not an auto zone or other parts house re-man. My "new" PCM was a re-man from the dealer but was a superseded part# so apparently they are making some modifications to them in addition to just repairing the cores. I asked the dealer for a "brand new never been used before" PCM but the O.E. re-manned units are all they offer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back