Good Engine rebuild kit?

The tools you mentioned in your post you need to ensure tolerances cost more than a replacement motor...

The tools you mentioned in your post you need to ensure tolerances cost more than a replacement motor...

Oh of course... But can they be rented? I don't know... I have all of that stuff.

Anyhow, my assumption (maybe that's where I went wrong) was that we were talking about someone equipped and capable to build a push-rod engine and the validity of the idea that they could also build an OHC engine. Never really occurred to me that there may be a number of people that equate building an engine to either swapping a short block or tossing parts together under the assumption that everything is correct out of the box...

I have to say that your wisdom on rebuilding a 4.6 vs. buying from a wrecking yard is the best advise. I don't know how you can argue with it. My motor runs fine with 189,000 miles and when I had to change the valve cover gaskets I was shocked at to find how little wear there was on the camshafts. So for now one I am going to heed your advise and look for one of these low mileage motors.

i just want to know where to buy the unicorn piss and how much hp it will net me.

What are the limitations concerning engine swaps with the Mark VIII?
I understand the physical space limitations, but what about the computers?

How much work is involved in making a cobra engine drop into an EECIV mark?
Other than a Mark VIII, what other engines can drop in without electronic nightmares?

And, has anyone done the 3v swap yet? Is the throttle that big of a challenge?

Fact of the matter is....the only thing the mark motor has in common with older V-8's is...

It seems to me that you point out all the ways it is similar to any other engine but you think its different. Lets see...step by step.

EIGHT CYLINDERS...
other than that.. two definatley different animals from every aspect of the word.

piston design is different
rods, design, materials and production techniques far different from previous
the way the crank is secured in the block TOTALLY differnet from ANY previous engine {show me a 6 bolt main production engine??)

8 cylenders, check

Piston design is the same, utilizes 3 rings to seal, they are round, attaches to a rod with a pin; check

Rod design is the same. One end bolts to the crank, one end attaches to the piston. Standard stuff there, check

Crank attachment...lets see...2 bolt, 4 bolt, 6 bolt...they all bolt the same way, up from below. Im fairly certain they are righty tightey too, albeit a different torquing sequence, its all the same. (fyi ls motors are 6 bolt blocks)

combustion chamber design is also different than most any other engine.
it's close to a Hemi head, but they call it a "pent roof design" so they dont "step on chryslers toes"

What does combustion chamber design have to do with rebuilding the short block?
(if youre concerned about rebuilding the heads, you rebuild one head youve rebuilt em all)

not to mention the whole valvetrain is operated in a completely different manner than any previous V-8 {show me a pushrod in this engine}

FTW!!!

lets see...the crank turns a chain, which turns a cam, which (while not through pushrods or rockers) opens, closes, and controls the timing of the valve events. Valves are still controlled by springs.

bore and stroke numbers make this motor on of the few engines that are "square bore" motors..

What does the dimensions of bore and stroke have to do with complexity of an engine? 4.00x3.00 vs 4.00x4.25 vs 3.75x3.75 All the same complexity.

The whole damned thing is different from "stem to stern".

Sounds like its all the same to me buddy.

no way shape form or fashion is the DOHC 4.6 anything CLOSE to any previously produced engine "in it's time".

OK? How? Over head cam engines have been arround since the 20s or earlier dude. The rest of the world is just catching up? Please.

Name a V-8 production mass produced engine that makes 1HP per cubic inch????
1HP per cubic inch used to mean you had forced induction of some kind.. now N/A motors are making 1+HP per cubic inch.

Compare the 90's model 4.6 290HP from 281 cid to the 90's model 454 put in the SS trucks.
454 CID making 225HP vs 281 CID making 280HP.

Volumetric efficiency!!! FTW!!!

What does ANY of this garbage have to do with making an engine more complex to rebuild.

Thanks for being so enlightening.

God damn, cupcake did it take you "three whole days" to pick apart a post that was made months ago?

Go troll someone elses nutsack

God damn, cupcake did it take you "three whole days" to pick apart a post that was made months ago?

Go troll someone elses nutsack

No, just brought to my attention by another member a few min ago, who was concerned about your post.

did you give them a hug and make em feel better?

are they gonna rebuild their mod motor by themselves because you "proved me wrong"?

*sniffles*

WTF is this about??

Tommy you are a dumbass, just admit it now before Mr. Wilson out smarts you with his superior knowledge!

:D

did you give them a hug and make em feel better?

are they gonna rebuild their mod motor by themselves because you "proved me wrong"?

*sniffles*

Insecure much, dude?

No need for the "quotes". I didn't prove anything. You're just dead wrong.

HAHAHAHA...

1. Stop stirring the pot KK
2. I believe someone earlier told you to shut the fuk up man... so take that advice :D

3. You want to blow my car... you are autohomo... HAHAHAH

Ensue the tyrannical internet debate on the complexities of the DOHC motor again...

Holy smokes, all the name calling just because of one simple post?

excatly come on seriously guys were all interested into knowing if there is a kit or not, Plan and simple and not to hear anyone bitch about 1 misleading statement. we all know he didnt mean it :q:q:q:q were all adults wtf just someone find out the information before someone else posts the same damn question!!!

where did u order your parts and what are u planned on doing?

where did u order your parts and what are u planned on doing?

I got most of my drive accessories, waterpump, alt, tensioner, power steering, from autozone where I work. I am ordering a bunch of stuff from LMS soon.

I plan on doing a c head swap, maybe an overbore with forged pistons so I can run some N20, but most likely going N/A without nitrous..

if your going that route slap a blower on it and go from there and at the N2o thats what id do

Insecure much, dude?

No need for the "quotes". I didn't prove anything. You're just dead wrong.

NO not really, but I'd really like to know who the SPINELESS GUTLESS WONDER who cannot speak for themselves that YOU needed to come in and pick my post apart for.

Can they not speak for themselves or are they just too stupid for formulate a sentence.

I still stick by my original statement
you put 10 users from this board in front of a disasembled mod motor and when and IF they get it together it'll be closer to a boat anchor than a running engine.

YOU, Mr Wilson are the exception to that rule of course because we all know you and your infinite wisdom.

SO...again, WHO is the SPINELESS GUTTLES PUSS that cannot speak for themselves? Mr Hero Wilson to the RESCUE!!!

dss racing offers complete rotating assemblies all forged and balanced. you can choose your compression ratios and yes they do offer a forged 6 bolt crank. there is the info. they are a little pricey, but not out of anyones budget if you save for it. they run about 2500 dollars. hope this helps.

p.s
i dont know where those of you who are suggesting to everyone to get a terminator motor are getting your engine prices from, however the cheapest one i found so far has been 10 grand. that is rediculous for a used engine imo. i can build a supercharged engine putting down a hell of a lot more power for that price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back