Going to the strip tomorrow, any pointers on shifting a Gen 2..

ga289stocker

LVC Member
Reaction score
First time taken the LS to the track. Should be nice weather here in Atlanta. So I'm use to banging gears in the Mustang. What methods of shifting the Ls seem to work best? Should I just leave it in full auto mode or use the SST function? What rpm is ok to shift these cars at? Thanks for any input.

D4 seems to run the engine a little higher/later than D5, or so I've heard. Its better to let the computer shift when it needs to, since you do t directly tell the transmission to shift anyway

if you're really good, you may be able to shift as good or perfectly as the auto can, but most likely, because of the small delay the SST has, you'll probably either shift too early or shift too late and tag the limiter...

I usually will start with it in SST first, then hold the foot brake while I rev it up a bit. this will be anywhere between 1800-2300 RPM depending on the temperature, how slick or stick the track is, and how good my tires are. I find that the colder it is, the more power the engine likes to make so I will rev a little higher, also the colder it is, the harder it is to get traction. but if its hotter, the engine seems to bog down easier so I wont rev it as high and it won't bog down much at all. its really a delicate balance.

then make sure not to sleep at the light and on go slam the gas, left off the brake, then while its still low/mid first gear I shift it back into auto mode for the rest of the ride. the only reason I don't leave with it in first, is there have been time when starting off, I could tell it wasn't in first and I felt it shift back down, and I would rather not waste any time waiting for the car to figure out what it needs to do.

take out any weight you possibly can before hand (spare tire...) dont go on a full tank of gas (try to have "just enough") and thats about it, if you've been to the track before, you'll know the rest.

Members online

Back