Going to a single 3" cat, watch me !

Sixlitre

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to realize I have a financial liability waiting to sting me, with those 4 freakin' cats under my feet (rusting and clogging as we speak).
The price of replacement is enough to scare the behesus out of a guy !

With that in mind I'm going to a single 3" three stage cat Monday and eliminating those 4 cats completely !

I did this on the Bronco and I gained 3 mpg and a boatload of torque ! The thing barked em' going into second for the first time ever.

We figure I'll get an even better increase with the Town Car, as it had four, not two cats to pump through.

Before you call me insane, check out the kind of Y-pipe I built last time for the Bronco;
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=115348
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17318#content

After that you can check out my progress here;
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371

Let you know how it goes Monday !

Sixlitre

Your car has 150HP and 270Lbs Torque stock. I think with that exhaust you're building, with no other mods, could free up maybe 20 HP and 30lbs. That would be a high estime but that much of a gain would be very noticeable.

Good Luck! Post Pics when done, post a dyno report too.

TriumphGT6 said:
Your car has 150HP and 270Lbs Torque stock. I think with that exhaust you're building, with no other mods, could free up maybe 20 HP and 30lbs. That would be a high estime but that much of a gain would be very noticeable.

Good Luck! Post Pics when done, post a dyno report too.

Thanks TriumphGT6

The increase on the Bronco was severely better. The collector part from Flowmaster claimed 40ft/lbs on a 396, with no other changes.

The newer 3 stage 3" cat is also far less restrictive and has a lot more flow potential than the stock 4 cats.

By not going larger on the muffler an tailpipe, I believe we kept all the added torque, down in the useable rpm range.

I'll post the pics as asap after we've got it all done.

Sixlitre

p.s./
My next move is an electric Taurus fan to replace the stock mechanical clutch fan. That's bound to free up 10-15 horsepower and some more mileage I'm sure

Well I done did it (redneck grinning)

I plunked down $40.00 CDN for this Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe;

img_0039.jpg

Even not counting the mandrel bends, the flow capacity increase is 56% over the stock 2" tailpipe;

img_0005.jpg

I need it to help evacuate my 3" Y-pipe and 3" cat;

img_0121.jpg

The tailpipe gets us up and over the axle, round the airbag and clear of the tank and sending unit beautifully, as seen in this photo of a CV (guy is using stock Chev 2 1/4" pipes);

p144335_large+1999_ford_crown_victoria_sedan+undercarriage.jpg

Only thing is the tailpipe peters out, right where the guy had welded in the resonator style rear mufflers.

They don't thrill me and neither does chrome or 5" ricer style fartcans, so....... I decided to make up the remaining @22" with a 2 1/2" to 3" reducer (okay increaser) and this 3" turn down/extension;

img_0035.jpg

So far I haven't busted $50.00, but the Hooker AeroChamber 2 1/2" muffler arrives tomorrow.

I know, you're going to tell me it'll be too loud, but.......I don't think so.

My experience with the bronco is that it's the cat that keeps things quiet, regardless of the kind of muffler you choose.

I'm also counting on that convoluted over-bent tailpipe to keep the noise fairly low. I DO NOT want a hotrod Lincoln and I don't think I'm gonna get one, even with that muffler choice.

Right now I have a GMC 4.3 litre muffler on and whether it's that muffler or the original one I just can't tell that 5.0 litre is even a V-8 ! I want SOME kind of verification that my Lincoln has an 8 under the hood.

Sixlitre

Picked up the Hooker Areochamber muffler today;

img_0008.jpg

Supposed to "kill" ALL Flowmasters on flow rates, yet it won't drone at cruise, like so many Chev trucks do;

img_0002.jpg

Gonna use the this little set up to hang it from the stock Lincoln rubber isolater/hangers;

img_0060.jpg

No sense in reinventing the wheel. Coupls of shots of the "Sixlitre catback system" so far;

img_0036.jpg

2 1/2" Hooker Areochamber muffler into the Dynomax Impala SS mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe, increased to exit through the 3" turndown (which also makes up the needed 22" of extra tailpipe);

img_0039.jpg

The part number you ask ?

img_0005.jpg

img_0002.jpg

Sixlitre

I was under the Lincoln today with my pipe bending buddy. We finished a "Sixlitre catback" for the 5.0 litre 90' Town Car;

Used a Dynomax Impala SS 2 1/2" mandrel bent tailpipe (@$32.00);

img_0123.jpg

The new Hooker Aerochamber muffler, like BRBuzz151 found outperforms Flowmasters(http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87522&highlight=flowmaster+drone+aerochamber);

img_0002.jpg

img_0008.jpg

Major improvement over the stock 2" crimped/kinked tailpipe;

img_0087.jpg

Really felt more power and acceleration afterwards. Upshifts seem effortless and the mileage (on the computerized dash at least) is up several mpg at every stage; accelerating, cruise, etc.

It now sounds like a Ford smallblock and burbles on start up and at idle, yet there's no Flowmaster drone at cruise. Nail it under a bridge and you can hear it no troubles.

Here's the link to the install pics;

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/9371/58990

:toothless

Sixlitre

p.s./
Worried about gas tank clearance ? No need;

img_0018.jpg

img_0019.jpg

Nice pics on the exhaust work. Getting ready to do a dual install on my 02 TC.

Nice pics on the exhaust work. Getting ready to do a dual install on my 02 TC.

Be sure to use Dynomax 2 1/2" mandrel bent tailpipe for a 94-96 Impala SS

They are actually cheaper than Chev pipes which are barely 2 1/4"(and not mandrel bent).

Sixlitre

Members online

No members online now.
Back