Global Automotive

rwurst918

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Last month I bought and installed the 109 dollar coil kit everyone knows about from ebay. Today, as I was driving home from a snowstorm, I got the dreaded ETC Failsafe Mode after the car had multiple misfires in a small amount of time. When I got home, I put the old stockers back in and called the local Ford dealership. They told me that they will cover my bad coils and the cost to have them stress tested. I was under the impression that I was going to have to pay for the stress test but not the coils. I still do not know the cost to stress test these coils, but as with anything from the dealership, I know it's not cheap. I was wondering if anybody has actually had this done at the dealership and did not have to pay anything. My LS is an 04.

Correct.

2003 are covered for valve cover gasket leaks and water leaks

2004 & 2005 are not covered for valve cover leaks. Just coils

Thanks Bullschmidt. I just changed out the valve covers, spark plugs and the coils a little over a month ago. There were leaks in the plug wells so it was obvious to do all of this at one time. I will set up an appointment tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

So i take it they supposedly fixed it for 06?

Or maybe they will cover it later on??

They believe they fixed it by then. I'd imagine 6 years is long enough to figure it out

If they haven't put on a TSB to cover it by now I'd be hard pressed to think it will change. You never know though. I haven't seen any members with an 06 voicing concerns about coils on here. Hopefully you have good luck

It just makes me wonder what would be so different i mean arent they the same part numbers??

Or the design of the engine block itself must have been improved.

There have been multiple revisions to the coil design, and there are differences in the part number to note which revision the coil is. I have no idea which number is the most recent revision of the coil.

2006 model year isnt covered right??

No, it is not.

Yes, supposedly the latest rev coils are much better. I haven't had any of those to fail yet, but that's not proof. I have heard of some others having problems with misfire with the 06.

Last month I bought and installed the 109 dollar coil kit everyone knows about from ebay. Today, as I was driving home from a snowstorm, I got the dreaded ETC Failsafe Mode after the car had multiple misfires in a small amount of time. When I got home, I put the old stockers back in and called the local Ford dealership. They told me that they will cover my bad coils and the cost to have them stress tested. I was under the impression that I was going to have to pay for the stress test but not the coils. I still do not know the cost to stress test these coils, but as with anything from the dealership, I know it's not cheap. I was wondering if anybody has actually had this done at the dealership and did not have to pay anything. My LS is an 04.

Here's how it works.

They will stress test the coils. If all of them pass, you have to pay the standard diagnostic fee to the dealership. This varies by the area. I think the range is $100 to $200.

If any of them fail, there is no charge to you and they will be replaced, as well as the associated plug(s).

The exception is if your spark plugs are not OEM and the dealership wants to be a pain about it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back