Getting a mark, to to start mods

stang99x

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read through the mod posts (and all the grab azzin between everyone on them) Most seem to think that gears should be first, but I tend to disagree, so I'll just agree to disagree about that. The tune is first up on my list of things to do. I am going to have it custom tuned with an SCT Xcal2. I have a tuner already, he tuned my blown navigator. After that, exhaust is most likely my next with an intake at the same time. Where do I find this ice box I keep reading about? And how does a flowmaster 50 series sound? I don't want it loud like my navigator(it runs two 40 series) and I don't like magnafart products, they sound like crap. The car is a 97 LSC with 55K miles on it. Also, I'm not a believer in underdrive pullies, been there done that bought a new water pump and radiator

Trouble is, you'll need to retune after many of the mods (Such as the intake and exhaust since your Fuel / Air mix will be wrong then - so depending on your schedule, you need to keep that in mind.

The Ice Box and intake, you get from Onebadmk8 (Geno), owner of Lincoln Motorsport.

Here is what I have done to my 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC - I get my tune on Saturday - and Ill post the dynos afterwards.

My tuner likes me to tune first, and for free he updates my tunes and emails them to me so that I can update on the fly. He's a great guy, but I am new here and don't want to step on any vendor toes. I did join up for hte gold membership though, I got big plans for the mark:D

I;d like to go through these one by one if you don't mind.

Lincoln Motor Sport - 900 CFM Megameter MAF
What is the MM equivelant of this? 90MM like the SVT lightning pickup?

Lincoln Motor Sport - Ice Box Cold Air System
I read about this in the LMS vendor pages, appears to be Out of stock for now

Lincoln Motor Sport - Twin XX Exhaust
I'm not sure I see the benefit here.....Whats the point? I don't even have an equalization on my navigator (there wasn't room) but I did on my stang, but what is this actually doing?>

Lincoln Motor Sport - Polished Stainless Expansion II Mufflers
I tend to be a flowmaster kinda guy, but I am open on this one cause I don't want my Mark to sound like a nascar

Lincoln Motor Sport - POWERMAXX Performance Chip
\I have this taken care of

Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
I did this on my stang, but is it necassary without a blower or bigger injectors?

Aeromotive Fuel Pressurie Regulator
I did this on my stang to. I assume its just as easy

Kooks 3/4 Length Torque Headers - Jethot Coated
Don't know if I wnat to go here. Headers are always a bitch, but that bay looks crowded

High Flow Catalytic Converters - Stainless Steel
I assume there are four. I'll chop two out, and replace the other two like I did on the nav with jeep 6 cylinder versions for max flow

4.10 Ford Racing Gears with Traction-Lok
Never been a fan of these. My stang had 2.73 gears and by the time I maxed 3rd gear I was already doing 115 and had blown the 4.11 guys off the road. I think I understood the 3.27 to be stock mark?

Precision Industries 9 1/2-inch Stallion Torque Converter (3200 Stall)
I can see this being all but necassary

Custom Built Aluminum driveshaft
I understand this is a weak point in these cars. Is there a FRPP aluminum unit made for htis car, or custom only?

Forgive my ignorance of the 4.6 My 5.4 nav is the first mod motor I have ever done. I am a tried and true 5.0 man, but I like the 97-98 model marks

Thanks in advance for the help all

AFAIK the LMS maf is 80mm.

The stock fuel pump, especially if it's getting old or high in miles, will not be able to keep up with demand after even minor mods in some cases.

The stock exhaust manifolds are crappy, I mean look at them. The Kooks are not easy to install.

3.08 is stock in Marks, 3.27s in LSCs. If your mustang blew 4.11 cars off the road with 2.73s, you had something else done. A 3.08 car will be winding out the end of 2nd at almost 100. Gears are a must, so is a high stall converter.

There is a 'metal matrix composite' driveshaft available for Marks. I know super coupe performance carries it, dunno who else. They also have a slightly cheaper aluminum shaft.

The 5.4 is a stroked 4.6 and has more torque. Going deep in the gears helps making up the difference.
That bit may help bridge the difference between your push rod experience and the Mod motor you are getting into now or confuse you more.

Yeah, my stang had a *few* indiscreet bolt ons. I ran down a slightly aged
M5, and a couple other suprised victims.

I can't find a Mark Viii to buy now. I thought I had one in east TN but this guy had his head up his arse so far that he decided on what he would take, I offered it, then he waited three days and said he sold it to someone else. Really pissed me off too.:mad:

Your first objective should be to decide how much money you have to spend on your ride. The rest can fall into progression. No matter what you read about or dream about none of it is going to happen with out the funds. Sorry for the negs but it gets boring after a while.

nav4.gif

Nav.gif

Money isn't the issue. The car being found is the current issue. As you can see I have played with my navigator as bad as you can. (note: the intercooler has been added since that picture.)

I can't find the car at a reasonable price within 300 miles of here. The only decent cars are priced at some stupid number like $12K when the same cars are selling on ebay for $5500

i got the 90cfm maf from lms on my mark, along with the walbro 255 fuel pump(i did this cuz my stock one shot sh!t, so i up graded so i don't have to dick with it down the road) and shift kit. and that set up so far has netted me a 14.58 with out my sub box in car,and running with 2 gallons of gas.
and if your going for a gen 2 mark get the 98lsc its faster. or go for the gen 1 IMO i think the gen1 runs better
the twinXX from what i understand the second crossover is about sound control, and possiably adds a little more power.
stock manifolds are good to 450 horse according to lincolnmotorsport.

i was a 5.0 pushrod man to. and the people on this site are a huge help,and will help you out with any problem you have when you get one. they eat this sh!t up

I'm being picky at the same time that I complain. I want something less than 100K miles. I don't want green exterior, and I don't want the tan (brown) interior. Realistically, I want the dark gray (pewter color) exterior or black with either charcoal interior or black interior. That coupled with the people around here all believe their marks are still worth 10 grand makes them hard to find.

I emailed one guy, all but told him he was on crack with his price, and that when he was ready to sell the car to call me back. 3 weeks and no calls on his car later, he called me and said he'd take $8000 (was asking 11500) I told him that was still to high, advertise it for $8000 and when it didn't sell, call me back. I know he still hasn't sold it at $8000 cause he still lists it.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
that set up so far has netted me a 14.58 with out my sub box in car,and running with 2 gallons of gas.

Try it again in good weather with at least a half a tank. You might think it'll run quicker on less gas due to the weight factor, the truth is it runs much better on a full (or half full) tank.

I've netted my best times with a full tank of gas. :D

BTW: Hey Stang99! Good to see ya!

Whats goin on there trip. Didn't know you were a member here. I ended up with an 05 Aviator (gee, went kinda the other way didn't I?) But, I didn't pay for it, I don't have to pay for gas, and insurance is free! Can't beat that with a stick!

Now, If I can just get the dealer to fix this intermittant idle issue that I keep tell them its having, it'll be all good!

stang99x said:
Whats goin on there trip. Didn't know you were a member here. I ended up with an 05 Aviator (gee, went kinda the other way didn't I?) But, I didn't pay for it, I don't have to pay for gas, and insurance is free! Can't beat that with a stick!

Now, If I can just get the dealer to fix this intermittant idle issue that I keep tell them its having, it'll be all good!

WAY THE OTHER WAY! hahaha That's OK, one day we'll find ya that perfect Mark VIII. :D

I signed up for this board a looong time ago... but wasn't active so my account was deleted. I was doing a search on my user name one day (bored as hell) and found someone here talking about me! LMAO So I signed up again... just been hanging out since then.

Sounds like the Aviator is good deal! Have fun with it! Hopefully you can get that idle issue taken care of...

I'm still on the lookout for a mark, so if you see a nice 98 cheap let me know. I've got about 10 months in this aviator before its befallen away:mad:

1/4 tank of gas for the track is what I get my best times with. Full tank car is typically a tenth slower than usual.

Tripany said:
Try it again in good weather with at least a half a tank. You might think it'll run quicker on less gas due to the weight factor, the truth is it runs much better on a full (or half full) tank.

I've netted my best times with a full tank of gas. :D

Can you explain why exactly you think that is? If I ran with a full tank of gas at 4000' (low, for here at least) density altitude I'd think the same thing, so I'm talking logical reasoning instead of anecdotal evidence.

This may or may not be relevant to your cars, but my tuner told me no WOT runs with 1/4 tank or less or I could sling all the gas to the back of the tank and suck'er dry for a brief second

MediumD said:
Can you explain why exactly you think that is? If I ran with a full tank of gas at 4000' (low, for here at least) density altitude I'd think the same thing, so I'm talking logical reasoning instead of anecdotal evidence.

If you're running less than half a tank, when you launch the car the gas moves to the back of the tank and the pump isn't able to pull the right amount of fuel (and/or pulls air with the fuel)... due to the fact that the pump is located in the middle of the tank. The pump sits in a hanger that is off the bottom of the tank as well. Also, if you're running half a tank, the pump is submurged in gas and runs cooler (doesn't overheat).

I used to run my car with 5 gallons or less... until my fuel pump died at the track. Not once but twice! I had to replace both on the ground at the track, and I don't wish that on anybody. Since then, I've been running with AT LEAST half a tank, and haven't run into any issues.

I could see that happening, I've just never noticed any fluctuations in fuel pressure when I was testing that with a gauge taped to my hood (had about 1/6th tank.)

Members online

Back