Get bent

Good guess Mark.
I got the boot from track in my mustang so time to pull out the mark 8. I read thread where guy bought a thunderbird roll bar and nothing fit well. He ended up buying almost another roll bar by time he was done making template bars and sending to roll bar maker and then getting them back. I was like why pay them? Get a free bender out of deal that I can keep forever. Picked up a JD model 32 their HD bender.
photo_24_zps4d2b8f0b.jpg

They want like 150 for the base. Yeah right, hit the stock rack and went to town.
photo_42_zps206a3f20.jpg

photo_26_zps6c9dcc3c.jpg

All done and painted
photo_25_zpsfd9dd79b.jpg

First 90 bend and my bend template.
photo_35_zpsf85bbfec.jpg

photo_44_zps22c03249.jpg

Nice box of CM tubing waiting to go.
photo_14_zps1eca6418.jpg

Looks like a nice bend, let me know what you think of that bender. Does it do square tube as well? Or do you have to buy another die set to do it?

Looks like a nice bend, let me know what you think of that bender. Does it do square tube as well? Or do you have to buy another die set to do it?
Just like every other bender you have to buy a die for EVERY tube dia or sq die set up. Each die set cost same as complete bender!!! I just bought 1 3/4 dia for now, will buy 1 5/8 die set next year.

Now that you have a die set.. Can you turn out the sizes on the lathe?

Now that you have a die set.. Can you turn out the sizes on the lathe?
You mean make other size die sets? If so no way the dies are HUGE and the area that touches tubing is not a simple radius. Its a special cnc formed shape to reduce wall distortion. I'll take a pic of die set so you can see the size later.

Thought I would ad to this to keep some cool things going on in this site. I'm getting old and didn't feel like pulling on the arm over and over to make the bends. And a FYI when you are pulling on the bender arm you can't look at the degree wheel at the same time. So it's a B to know where you are in the bend. So I got this 8 ton air over hydo ram from Harbor Freight and mounted it on the bender.
IMG_3406_zps9iz5bwqi.jpg

Man this works great and no sweating. vid click to see
th_IMG_3438_zpsj62s2st1.jpg

I also added a Digital Angle gauge. This is sweet because no trying to look at the bender manual gauge. Just hand activate the bender and watch the gauge. Vid click to see
th_IMG_3440_zps61y0t21k.jpg

Broke out the plasma cutter and cut up (11) 6x6 squares and one 12x6 out of 1/8 steel plate I got for free. 5 for mk8 and 6 for the cage in my Maverick.
IMG_3399_zpswpt2h5va.jpg

Maching all 11 squares at one time and pic of finished ones glassbeaded.
IMG_3401_zps3eoigbwv.jpg

IMG_3402_zpsttfvgbmt.jpg

Now I also wanted to make a plate bender so I hit the stock rack and whipped up this puppy. Here are all cut out peices waiting to be welded and machined.
IMG_3453_zps1s9j7hcn.jpg

After welding the base together I machined the whole base square then machined the V perfectly 90*
IMG_3465_zpslodqjrvj.jpg

Here it is all welded and done. The springs where on order and they keep the tongue up so no file has to hold it up lol
IMG_3468_zpsfnbyiymj.jpg

In my press it bends 1/8 steel like butter.
IMG_3509_zpsznwyxu2d.jpg

Now I also had to make a hole saw cutter holder for the bridgeport because the one I had was hex for a drill chuck. So I made up this one and it worked prefect.
IMG_3514_zpsenfyn20o.jpg

IMG_3515_zpswbuyzvdi.jpg

Also a FYI if doing any tube work buy one or 2 of these. Magnets on the sides so it sticks and shows any angle from the floor. Super piece for the money $27
IMG_3543_zpss6ykwb8w.jpg

I finally got to use my 90* angle plate I scored on Craigslist. You can see all things in play here.
IMG_3481_zpst4fwbtwf.jpg

[video=youtube;2wNdkLYbzPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNdkLYbzPU&feature=youtu.be[/video]
[video=youtube;NSh5vkZCfek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSh5vkZCfek&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Members online

Back