General tune up

gambling209

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 2004 V6. Got it on the real cheap. Fixing things that were wrong with it and getting it ready to drive daily. Drove it yesterday and have a stumble miss when hot. Don't know the history on this car. Figured I would change coils, plugs, and gaskets while in there. Did a search on plugs. Is there one y'all recommend over the others? Going to run those cop s that start with a v. Can't remember the name. still the recommended cop?. Can get cheaper than Motorcraft.

... those cop s that start with a v. Can't remember the name.

Visteon coils ?
Can't get those anymore.

- Ford OEM coils.
- NGK Iridium plugs (gapped to 1mm or 0.039in, verify no oil or water in wells)
- Fuel Filter
- Air breather element. (Filter)
- STP injector cleaner in the tank.

- Cabin Filter

:: check your entire plastic cooling system + steering and suspension components.

GLWR

Yes,visteon coils. Just bought a set on amazon. 130 for 6. I have had good luck with ngk. Run them in my merc outboard. Thanks for reply. Maybe you can still get the visteon coil from people that still have some sitting around. Check amazon.

Also i see ngk has a couple different models of that plug. Which one is the perfered?

Just bought a set on amazon. 130 for 6

Ah yes, you have the V6, you can still get the Visteon coils for the V6, my bad!
Visteon 60-1004 (Motorcraft) Ignition Coils DG517

It's the 60-1008 DG529's for the V8 we can no longer get from Visteon.
Visteon btw was a Hungarian Manufacturer of coils for Ford. They are top notch coils for sure.

I have them in my 04 LSE V8

03-jpg.jpg

08-jpg.jpg

See install here if interested.
What did you do to your LS today?

Also i see ngk has a couple different models of that plug. Which one is the perfered?

Just get the NGK Iridium's

Economy * May not meet OE Standards *

NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Plug
SKU: #BKR5EGP
ITEM : # NGK7090
BRAND : NGK // NGK 7090 BKR5EGP Single Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Double Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium Spark Plug

Be sure to use di-electric grease inside the coil boots and gap the plugs to 1.0mm
Ensure the coil connectors seat properly by means of clicking shut firmly.

re&re the fuel filter and intake air breather filter.
That is if you want to do a proper and complete tune up.

Air, fuel, spark.

No sense taking a shower and putting dirty socks and boxers back on.

that's real complete. my local auto parts place has a different number for the best plug you have listed. your parts info for the v8 instead of the v6? gap also listed as 1.5. again maybe v6-v8 difference?

Last edited:
Ugh, you got me again Bud, may very well be. I have zero experience with the V6.
I would have thought same plug, same gap but we should never assume.

Remind me next time it's V6 related to stay out of it :mad:

Just get the NGK Iridium's

Economy * May not meet OE Standards *

NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Plug
SKU: #BKR5EGP
ITEM : # NGK7090
BRAND : NGK // NGK 7090 BKR5EGP Single Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Double Platinum Spark Plug

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium Spark Plug

Be sure to use di-electric grease inside the coil boots and gap the plugs to 1.0mm
Ensure the coil connectors seat properly by means of clicking shut firmly.

The NGK Iridium 5464 are gapped to .40 don't they need to be .44 ? The reason I ask is can you even gap Iridium plugs? Or is .40 gap ok on the LS?

V6 should be 0.51" (1.3mm)
V8 should be 0.39" (1.0mm)

Where did 0.44" come from? On the V8, that's just asking for coil trouble.

I would measure each one to see if it is really 0.40", if so that's close enough to 0.39 to let it go. Yes, you can adjust iridium plugs' gaps. You just have to be careful about it, and you much use the electrode gap tool, rather than just shoving something in there to spread it apart (never was a good idea).

maxresdefault.jpg

V6 should be 0.51" (1.3mm)
V8 should be 0.39" (1.0mm)

Where did 0.44" come from? On the V8, that's just asking for coil trouble.

I would measure each one to see if it is really 0.40", if so that's close enough to 0.39 to let it go. Yes, you can adjust iridium plugs' gaps. You just have to be careful about it, and you much use the electrode gap tool, rather than just shoving something in there to spread it apart (never was a good idea).

View attachment 828571151
The motorcraft OEM plugs that autozone and advance sell are gapped to .44. I checked today myself at both stores and their computers also show the gap for the LS V8 being .44. If the car is supposed to be gapped at .39 then I guess that can shed some light on my issues that I have been having.

Service manual for V8:
s6x~us~en~file=a0068503.gif~gen~ref.gif

I try to stay at the bottom end (1.0mm) of that because the bigger the gap the higher the voltage. The higher the voltage, the greater the odds of epoxy failure in the coil.

General Specifications
Item Specification
Engine Ignition

Firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
Spark plug gap 1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in)
Spark plug type AGSP-32F
Lubricants and Chemicals
Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound XG-3-A ESE-M1C171-A
Silicone Gasket and Sealant TA-30 WSE-M4G323-A4

Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft lb-in
Evaporative emissions (EVAP) canister purge valve bracket nuts 20 15 —
Ignition coil-on-plug bolts 5 — 44
Ignition coil-on-plug cover bolts 5 — 44
Spark plugs 27 20 —

I also just called the Lincoln dealer and they said the plugs are supposed to be gapped at .44 for a 2001 lincoln ls v8.

Last edited:
That's not what the 2001 service manual says, but believe who you will.

That's not what the 2001 service manual says, but believe who you will.
I called them back and the service advisor said you are correct that their parts dept is wrong actually. They said it's most likely wrong at all the dealers part dept. and oddly enough the OEM plugs that they are selling at advance auto etc. are gapped to .44

Thanks @joegr you might have just saved me from the issues I had been having. I will let you know tomorrow once I get the plugs changed again. Keeping my fingers crossed that this has been causing my p0420 code,misfires and the long cranking!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back