General Info on the Mark V Lincoln

Nigelmelb

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been looking on the internet for informaion on the Mark V.
Have found a lot of general info from some great web sites but am looking for more technical info like what sort of suspension setup the Mark V had? Was it coil spring?leaf spring rear? Independant?

Also stuff like what sort if transmissions they had. I guess they were 4 speed transmissions. One site said there were 2 different types. They were the XPL Automatic and the XPL Special Automatic. What was the difference between these two?

Any info would be great.

Thanks again.

Nigel.

The Mark V's have a C-6 tranny with three speeds. They have 4 wheel disc brakes and have 4 coil springs for one of the best rides ever. My Mark V had the nicest ride, I think its from all that weight. I'm not sure between the differences in the automatics but they are good trannys. Sounds like you've been to automotive mileposts, a great site for Mark V info.

Thanks heaps for the info thamarkman. Yeah that was the website i have been to and its a great site like you said.

Cant wait to own a Mark V and hoping to import one to Australia. Have been looking at both cadillacs and Lincolns and i think from what i can see, the lincoln looks more like a cruiser and looks more regal i think.

Really want to try and get a Diamond Jubilee Edition. From what i can see they look like the pic of the bunch. WOuld of really liked a red interior but i know they only come in the blue and gold.

Good luck getting a Diamond Jubilee, I see them on ebay sometimes. You won't be disappointed if you buy a Mark V, but just out of curiosity what does gas cost in Australia? There is no styling comparison between the Mark V and any 77-79 cadillac, The Mark V wins hands down.

Thanks thamarkman. Yeah have decide on the Diamond Jubilee.

The average proce of gas(petrol) in Australia is on average a $1 a Litre which is $5 a gallon Australian or $3.90 a gallon US.

What is the price of petrol over there?

I know they use heaps of gas but it will just be a weekender so thats ok.

If you don't care about gas go ahead and get the jubilee edition, but for a little better gas milage pick up a 79 Collecter's Series. Its only a 400 6.6 instead of the 460.

But you'll love these cars the second you hit a bump and barely feel anything.

I have one with 80k on it and it still rides great. the thing even handles good. with the 460 its got plenty of power too!

I am not sure of the difference between the 2 trans versions mentioned, i saw that too. its proably a different valvebody thats smoother? but they are all C-6's. Tough as woodpecker lips. they also have a 9" rear so aftermarket gears (and posi's) are cheap and plentiful (atleast in the us) one thing to consider importing one there is parts. these cars have 2 relatively od items on them. one is a disc brake rear. chances are you can get parts there for the front but the rear ones will be a bit tougher. the brakes are also hydroboost not vacuum. so its a bit awkward to rebuild / replace if you dont know where to go.

Would the Mark V (or Mark IV) handle better than the Town Cars of the same year? I'd kinda think so seeing as how the Mark V was supposed to be the smaller "personal" car.

Nigelmelb said:
Thanks heaps for the info thamarkman. Yeah that was the website i have been to and its a great site like you said.

Cant wait to own a Mark V and hoping to import one to Australia. Have been looking at both cadillacs and Lincolns and i think from what i can see, the lincoln looks more like a cruiser and looks more regal i think.

Really want to try and get a Diamond Jubilee Edition. From what i can see they look like the pic of the bunch. WOuld of really liked a red interior but i know they only come in the blue and gold.

You want a Blue and white Bill Blass....However ill trade you my 79 MarkV for a Falcon XB Cobra LOL

92SedandeVille-TownCar94 said:
Would the Mark V (or Mark IV) handle better than the Town Cars of the same year? I'd kinda think so seeing as how the Mark V was supposed to be the smaller "personal" car.

Smaller Personal car... Those years what is small? I love those old classics... What great cars they were, excuse me still are.

Nigel,
Prepare yourself for the nicest Diamond Jubilees you 'll ever see. Both are premium low-mileage examples. If I had the space and the means, I would buy either one, with a slight favor for the Gold one. But that is a matter of taste. These beauties don't come cheap.
Here is the Gold
http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom/details.php?v_id=336
And here is the Blue
http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom/details.php?v_id=346
Success with your purchase, and keep us informed.
:)
Jur de Jong.

Members online

Back