Gen2 V6 to V8 swap

SeaPro

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So as promised, I've begun to undertake my engine swap. I've got an 03 V8 and an 05 V6. The 03 is rotten pretty bad. Originally I was going to attempt repairing it, but the damage is extensive, and more less everything underneath is quite far gone. My main concern was the completely rotten rear frame mounts. They're not there... The rear sub frame is only being held on by 2 of the 4 bolts. It's really more work than it's worth to repair so I've decided to strip it and eventually transplant the entire drive train into my pristine V6.

I will remove the rear frame with axle and struts together. The engine and trans are coming out the top with a large engine crane. Any and all relevant electrical is being stripped too. I'm planning on stripping the entire car of anything needed / valuable and towing away the shell.

Here's my progress so far:
l1.jpg
l2.jpg

I've got access to a lift and complete shop, however I prefer working at home. I decided to build a set of very heavy duty ramps out of an old forklift pallet I picked up for about $150. It's 1/4 inch steel around the outsides with 1/8th inch u-channel making up the rest. I reinforced the top with old 1/8th inch angle iron to make double sure the planks wouldn't have any real stress.

l6.jpg
l5.jpg

I used 6x6 timbers cut in 19 inch lengths to support the ramps. This way I can adjust the height as needed. Currently, I am able to sit up underneath the car, there's loads of room (I'm 6'3'').

As motivation to actually complete this project, I picked up a few little goodies.

l3.jpg
l4.jpg

I've got to admit that since removing nearly everything under the hood, I've come to realize that this is a lot more work than I expected. It's taken me 3 days to get to where I am. The heat isn't helping, and crawling around on your back is the worst.

This engine should really be dropped out from the top down, but that wasn't an option for me at the moment.

I'll update as I go along. I'm about to return to work for about a month in a few days, hopefully I'll have the engine out by then!

I'll begin the swap some time in August.

Side not on the ramps. They're about 250 lbs each, and incredibly solid. They're complete overkill but that's what I was aiming for. I don't trust jack stands for a second. The car is completely stable on them, I've shook it to hell and nothing has budged.

Great progress ... definitely interested in updates as you go along.

I like where your heads at the ( goodies ) as you call them are almost a necessity when you drive this car and appreciate the way it handles I wanted to fit a KKM in my 3.9 but the company emailed me back after inquirying about it and they said they don't carry the KKM for the Lincoln LS anymore but yeah keep us posted with your progress

FWIW, I did a before-'n'-after on both the intake and the Magnaflow exhaust. On an otherwise stock '02, there was NO difference in one-mile trap speeds in ECTA competition, although the sound was definitely improved.

I added a few more things, and running in "E Fuel Competition Coupe/Sedan" I ultimately set three records. (I still hold the record in class.) The intake/exhaust may have been beneficial with the other additions.

KS

So I've been a little busy with work to finish this swap (like probably 99% of the people around here who attempt them). Also, I managed to find my DREAM car with only 6000 miles on it. This thing has spent its life stored inside and never held a single passenger.

Welcome to my car family a very lightly used AMG C63!
21992948_10214499118537935_2685629033360813760_o.jpg

22254875_10214555016375346_3205805682781286295_o.jpg

With that said, I plan on finishing the swap and using it at my winter 'beater'. I'll be rolling the tar on pretty thick below for good measure.

very nice. the C63 is a peppy little beast, thats for sure.

Members online

Back