gen2 headlight question

jt351

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1997 mark 8 has already had a drivers headlight changed about 2 years ago by a dealer right before I got it and it went out again, What is the cheapest fix, Can I get an ebay special HID and make it work, If so what model number or size? I've done search on here and all I find is hid conversion for gen 1's. I don't mind cutting wires and hacking the headlight if I know it will work, Thanks, I need to know soon, already got pulled over for it.

NOTHING that you can buy on line or off will fit into the 9500 space in your headlight. You have 2 choices basically. 1. you can buy the retrofitted headlights that ford now offers which use standard 9005 bulbs just like the GenIs for about $800. or 2. you can buy a used 9500 lamp off someone else for whatever amount you will pay. Used 9500 lamps on e-bay go for $100 up to $350 each.

OR you can buy a Mark VIII HID adapter kit. They are on eBay and they are made by a forum member. The kit is for both sides. Installation is easy and from them on all you need it to buy the cheap HID lamps.

OR you can buy a Mark VIII HID adapter kit. They are on eBay and they are made by a forum member. The kit is for both sides. Installation is easy and from them on all you need it to buy the cheap HID lamps.
:I

Or you can buy a set of $80.00 9005 HID's on ebay & modify them to fit. I was e-mailing a guy who did this, it was a lot of work but he made it all work. If you are handy & don't mind spending some time then it can be done.

gen 2 headlight question

Just went thru this with my 1997 mark 8 lowbeam , highbeam is 9005 from NAPA autoparts :done.:p I had to beat the drum til it had no tune.:confused: :confused: Heres the deal : Japanimportshop 1 916 429 1333 in San Fancisco. They have a kit for a low price on ebay. $49 plus shipping. On ebay watch for " U.S. SELLER" . Buy it for like $49 plus shipping or $96.30 shipped. You must call them after the ebay auction is done and tell them that you need the 9006 HID bulbs with the 6000 white light strength. I spent hours on the net trying to figure this out : I purchsed five different Halogen bulbs for sizing and measurements. I took the lamps out , like three times. Japanimportshop has been great and my time is worth way more than $100 bucks, as is yours. Another source is HIDsolutions Phone # 1 818 470 4668 . They are in Moorpark CA , Ventura county. Also on Ebay , his kit runs $ 299.99 plus shipping and he is a Mark 8 owner and enthuesist. He has gone thru the trouble to figure this out and has sold over 100 kits. his website is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2522432 :cool: :cool: There are no Sylvania 9500 bulbs availible execpt on Ebay for big money. With the above mentioned sources you will get new balace and wiring and two 9006 HID bulbs. Old system is like AC and new system is like DC . I am delighted to shair this information because it was so hard for me to find . Also check http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2522432 for installiation help. Fords answer is not acceptable,:mad: :leghumper only car nuts can figure a way around such foolishness. This should cover 1996 w/ HID 1997 and1998:) :) :) Respectfully Submitted CSXLSC.:yourock:

i bought an hid kit from japanimportshop for my 93 with halogen housings, i restored them inside back to new and put the 6000k kit in them, i will tell everyone here that my other 93 has real lsc housings from a 96 with factory hid's in it and my halogen housings with the 90 dollar hid kit blows the factory hid's away. best 90 bucks i ever spent.

wow thanks for quick responses, above is just what I was looking for, But got one other question If I want to get the HID kit for a 9006, than for now why can't I just put a standard 9006 bulb in there now and just get a plugin from a junkyard, and of course unhook ballast, I know the lenses should take the heat it has standard bulbs in the high beam, This is just to get me buy till I get the kit. I went to that website showing the installation but not a name or where to get his kit, tho it looks somewhat easy to replicate with a piece of plastic. THANKS again.

Just to let you know...if the headlights are messed up as well you might as well take the hit for the complete kit which "retails" for $720.00 and LVC pays only $524.93!! plus frt. an important note is that you must have 2 working keys that start your car BEFORE replacing the module in the kit.

an important note is that you must have 2 working keys that start your car BEFORE replacing the module in the kit.

Yes you do! lol I found this out the hard way. I only have one key. They ended up just putting the old box in because the new one is not needed.

Just to let you know...if the headlights are messed up as well you might as well take the hit for the complete kit which "retails" for $720.00 and LVC pays only $524.93!! plus frt. an important note is that you must have 2 working keys that start your car BEFORE replacing the module in the kit.

I have heard you do not have to replace the SCIL and if you plan on putting an aftermarket HID kit your probably better off leaving the original SCIL in.

Max I will definately be hitting you I'm in the next couple of months. That's a great price for the kit.

Dmaup beat me to it.

Well I had to hit a deer to get mine, so I didn't have to pay a thing. But I will say this about the lights, the low beams are kind of weak if your used to the hid's. But I will say that the brights are much better imo. Thinking about adding aftermarket hid lows this summer.

My housings are all cloudy and the 9500 bulbs wont last forever so I will end up buying new housings hopefully before a bulb goes out and sell the bulbs to offset some of the cost. I do want to go to HIDs with the new housings too.

you dont have to change the scil module. all you need are the lights, the scil doesnt have to be changed, you will not get a check exterior light message if you install the new assemblies and leave the original scil. which means you keep the stock key, and dont have to have anyone reprogram anything. the new scil is just an extra chunk of money out the window!

gen 2 headlight question

you dont have to change the scil module. all you need are the lights, the scil doesnt have to be changed, you will not get a check exterior light message if you install the new assemblies and leave the original scil. which means you keep the stock key, and dont have to have anyone reprogram anything. the new scil is just an extra chunk of money out the window!

:eek: Whats a scil module ? Why would two keys be needed ? Additionally, were can I get a second key at a reasonable price ? Can the "Chipped Keys" be replaced with a standard key ?:cool: I really enjoy this forum; I am new and the information is greatly appreciated.:L

:eek: Whats a scil module ? Why would two keys be needed ? Additionally, were can I get a second key at a reasonable price ? Can the "Chipped Keys" be replaced with a standard key ?:cool: I really enjoy this forum; I am new and the information is greatly appreciated.:L

The SCIL is the steering column illumination control module. It controls the lighting and the PATS. So if you change it you would need to reprogram your keys. I haven't needed a key yet so cant help you there. You cant eplace the chipped keys with a standard key with disabling the PATS through a tuner or you can hide a key in the dash so the SCIL sees it all the time.

Who is this member?:shifty:

And for how much?

I got my PATS key from Max at Five Star Ford in the vendor section. Best price by far...1/2 the stearlship cost.

WHAT MEMBER SELLS THEM?

:slam :Bang
Who is this member?:shifty:

And for how much?

This is also for THANATOS . Please read my post above . The full member that makes the HID kit is 04SSHD . Join date : july 2006 post about 562 . :slam :Bang He runs a company called HID Solutions . His name is Colin Gorman and is sales manager Phone 1 (818) 470-4668 and his Email is HIDsolutions@yahoo.com :Beer You owe me ! I agree that this information should not be so hard to figure out. But the savings of $ is worth it. His price on ebay is $299.99. Check E Bay Motors Item number 250238154724 and also# 270230004808 Respectfully submitted CSXLSC

Last edited:
Looks like I'm in the market for replacement headlight housings for my Gen2. What all do I need for the conversion and what Halogen bulbs do the new housings use? How is the light output of the new housings compared to original HID setup?

Members online

No members online now.
Back