Gen1/Gen2 Clockspring interchangeability

JaredI

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have tried to do due diligence with the search feature but the threads that come up don't yield any useful results.

1.) Are Gen2 clocksprings more reliable
2.) Are they interchangeable

I noticed that there is a different part number for Gen1 and Gen2 clocksprings. A local u-pull yard has an 06 in there and I need one for my 2000. If the Gen2 is more reliable and interchangeable I was considering grabbing it.

Thanks alot guys, I've learned alot from your board already.

1. Yes, they do seem to be.
2. No, AFAIK they are not.

I wouldn't put in a used clockspring. They are wear items. Most of the life on a used one may already be gone.

I note that someone here recently reported the 'repair' of a clockspring mechanism by cleaning with a solvent. However when you have a contact making a rubbing movement on thin sheetmetal (brass?) ultimately you'll have a wear-through. Then you need a replacement.

KS

...However when you have a contact making a rubbing movement on thin sheetmetal (brass?) ultimately you'll have a wear-through. Then you need a replacement.

KS

That's not how it works. There are no moving contacts. It is several turns of a flat cable (flexible printed circuit, really) wound around the shaft. The stationary end of the cable connects to the car, and the moving end to the steering wheel. The wear comes about as the cable winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned. This flexes the cable, and eventually the copper conductors break due to fatigue.

Back when there were no airbags, cars often did use a series of contacts and rings to make the connections. However, that system was not good enough for airbag use, so the clockspring type came about.

To clarify, the recent post was about the guy cleaning the radio control button assembly as opposed to replacing the clockspring

Members online

No members online now.
Back