Gen II V8 K&N intake tube with factory filter housing?

XJLS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just looking to see if you guys with the K&N intake know if the tube alone will mate up to the factory filter housing?

I ask because im after getting rid of the intake baffles so I can better keep an eye on my plastic cooling parts, serpentine belt, and front of engine in general. I would just like to know if anyone has mated them up and if it works length and diameter wise?

Im not into cutting up my factory tube or running the complete K&N intake so if its a no ill just leave it factory.

Thank you

I eyeballed this when I got my K&N and seemed to remember it not working "perfectly". IIRC you would need to trim the K&N tube down a bit, add a coupler and then remove the MAF section that is integrated into the the upper airbox cover. Since the K&N already has a MAF fitting these would be doubled up, and the entire assembly in the end would be too long. After trimming both down, they would have to be joined/sealed to make maximum benefit of the insulated airbox, hence the addition of a coupler. 3.5" is the O.D. of the K&N.

You are probably better off buying some sort of generic silicon elbow, and adding ports for the the Vac and valve cove connections. Since the elbow could then slide over the airbox, and the throttle body, it would be the perfect bridge. They make grommet kits for "tapping" into silcone. Lots of water-meth users utilize that for pre-TB jets.

Like this: (Stolen from an old thread on here)
ttp%3A%2F%2Fi1038.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa469%2Fmlara1129%2FBlueIntakePipeapparentlyfromebay.jpg

OR - You can delete the OEM resonators on the oem intake and mimic the K&N. I would sell you my tube, as it is just sitting.
03+ Air Intake Silencer Removal

-devin

Thank you for the reply, information, pictures, and link. I am just going to leave it factory. I just hate the plastic covers and junk in the engine bay but ill deal with the baffles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back