Gen II Intakes

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone verified if the K&N (or any of the "cold-air" intakes) actually make a performance gain on our cars? I'm considering buying one over the next couple of days. I was wondering a few things:

1. Is the 57-2562 the intake that actually fits the LS?

2. Does it offer any advantage over the stock intake other than sound?

3. Is there an intake that offers a better performance gain (if any)?

yes, the model for the 03+ thunder bird is the one you need for a 2nd gen V8 LS as the two motors are the same

yes, the included dyno sheet for their test motor shows 15hp increase, will you feel 15hp??? thats the million dollar question.

if there were companies doing a better job of making intakes systems than K&N, they would be as common of a house hold name as K&N.

yes, the model for the 03+ thunder bird is the one you need for a 2nd gen V8 LS.

yes, the included dyno sheet for their test motor shows 15hp increase, will you feel 15hp??? thats the million dollar question.

if there were companies doing a better job of making intakes systems than K&N, they would be as common of a house hold name as K&N.
When I swapped the factory filter to the K&N on my Navigator it made a huge difference in how fast the engine reved. It actually made the gas touchier... Actual power gains, unknown.

I was reading another post were guys were going back and forth on if K&N lied about their test results... seems a bit of a stretch, but no promise I'll even see those numbers if I install the intake.

I remember reading that those hp gains peaked high in the rpm range, wot, where the car spends the least amount of time at. Just stipulation, I haven't looked at the data sheet in a while.

A word of warning on K&N... at least in the GM world, overoiling a K&N filter will cause the MAF to be coated with oil which will cause some pretty bad problems with drivability. Sometimes cleaning the MAF will fix the problem but there have been a few times where the MAF had to be replaced due to the overoiling as either the oil or the cleaning agent got inside the sensor and caused it to fail hard. If you decide to use one, be sparing with the oil when you clean it.

A word of warning on K&N... at least in the GM world, overoiling a K&N filter will cause the MAF to be coated with oil which will cause some pretty bad problems with drivability. Sometimes cleaning the MAF will fix the problem but there have been a few times where the MAF had to be replaced due to the overoiling as either the oil or the cleaning agent got inside the sensor and caused it to fail hard. If you decide to use one, be sparing with the oil when you clean it.
Interesting that you say that... I've owned several K&N filters, and I have yet to ever clean one. lol

I've had the one on my Navigator about 2 years now. I guess it's time to clean it. Though the filter sits directly above the engine... I have to think the MAF actually comes before the filter...

Interesting that you say that... I've owned several K&N filters, and I have yet to ever clean one. lol

I've had the one on my Navigator about 2 years now. I guess it's time to clean it. Though the filter sits directly above the engine... I have to think the MAF actually comes before the filter...

No lol.

Ok.. I got curious after this, because I realized I had no clue where the MAF sensor is on my truck. lol

548221_4212905042021_1702917271_n.jpg

Should be #5 on the diagram. At least thats what ford says.
I don't think it could be that. It looks like that diagram shows an air filter before #5, and that's not where the filter is on this truck. Also there are no wires connecting anywhere up there. I looked.

The MAF is after the filter, it meters filtered air.

Unfiltered air will throw codes and make the engine run poorly.

"if you did a poo before you drove your car..."
oh thats rich!

I have the K&N, I love it. The sound is VERY different, sounds way mean. And huge hp gains or not, I've noticed better fuel efficiency. I get a good mile per gallon more on the freeway now. Course, that's when I drive conservatively. Which is... rare. :D But 15hp may not be much, but an improvement is an improvement. And from my research (which I did just as you are now) I found that the K&N is in fact the best bang for the buck. There is also a KKN CAI but I found the K&N seemed a little more my style.

Meh... they used cars with tiny engines. I'd put more faith into this if they were using a beefy, well restricted V8. A 5.9L or something with very restricted intake and exhaust like American vehicles have had since environmental controls took over. We know engines that large are capable of turning out hundreds of hp and torque, but usually get 300 or less... In the early 2000's a 5.9L dodge engine was something like 250 hp. Those are the kind of engines I'd like to see this test on.

Don't forget it looks cooler too!

I have the K&N, I love it. The sound is VERY different, sounds way mean. And huge hp gains or not, I've noticed better fuel efficiency. I get a good mile per gallon more on the freeway now. Course, that's when I drive conservatively. Which is... rare. :D But 15hp may not be much, but an improvement is an improvement. And from my research (which I did just as you are now) I found that the K&N is in fact the best bang for the buck. There is also a KKN CAI but I found the K&N seemed a little more my style.

If I get it, it'll be the plastic intake, not the metal one. It seems like I'd be taking a step backwards, though it does look very nice.

yes, the model for the 03+ thunder bird is the one you need for a 2nd gen V8 LS as the two motors are the same

is this the stock intake for the tbird?

is this the stock intake for the tbird?

what? no the K&N filter was not the stock filter for the thunderbirds, the stock intake for the thunder birds is surprisingly just like the LS's stock intake.

the K&N intake is an aftermarket intake made specifically for the thunderbirds, it also woks on the LS because they use the same motor, and every thing bolts up the same

Fun fact: K&N filters only actually filter if they are periodically cleaned and re-oiled. A dried out K&N filter doesn't actually filter very well.

Members online

Back